• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Country listing on pelagics (1 Viewer)

MK90

Always learning
Like many birders I keep country lists, adding to these when I re-visit these countries. This summer I will be going on a pelagic trip from Portsmouth to Santander and was wondering how country listers deal with these trips. Presumably I will be passing through British, French and Spanish waters, but where do these begin and end? I know that the ABA area covers up to 200miles offshore or half-way towards a neighbouring country. Is this the accepted area for birding in European countries? Is there a map of European waters? Or am I just thinking into this too much?

Yep, same rules in European waters. You'll just be needing to work out which country you're closest to, as none of that route is ever more than 200 nautical miles from land. You might be able to get a member of the crew to ask the Captain for exact locations at any particular time.

I've done a similar crossing (although about 10 years ago) and if I remember correctly most of the bird related action on that trip was as you round Ushant and then when you cross the continental shelf into Spanish waters. Cetacean activity was generally in the deeper waters of Biscay.

In the US the complication is which state you're in (or in California, which county). A GPS or GPS app is helpful to keep track.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back