• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

March/April Moths (1 Viewer)

Nothing new this morning and weather fairly obviously on the change so I've brought the trap in. Best repeats were Dotted Chestnut and Muslin Moth. Only Shuttle-shaped Dart hit 2 individuals, out of a total of 10 individuals of 9 species.

John

Weekend warmer again with rain gone so it may shake it up a touch with new emergences. I'll trap through.

All the best

Hi Paul,

Is your trap sheltered from the wet or do you just leave it where the rain can get at it? Mine is an actinic so shouldn't take much hurt, but I'm not totally convinced about carrying on through heavy rain at least.

Cheers

John

Currant pug was new for me last night. 4 Brimstone, Waved Umber, Hebrew Character, Common Plume, Scorched Carpet plus a couple of others. On a walk yesterday Incurvaria mascuella were abundant along hedge rows. Still cool after midnight in mid Herts.

The milder night, with cloud cover persisting right through, produced my first double-figure catch of the year and five species NFY:
Brown House Moth
Tachystola acroxantha (2)
Bee Moth (4)
Red-green Carpet
Powdered Quaker

Steve

Hi Paul,

Is your trap sheltered from the wet or do you just leave it where the rain can get at it? Mine is an actinic so shouldn't take much hurt, but I'm not totally convinced about carrying on through heavy rain at least.

Cheers

John

John

Not sheltered. I just go with it as an actinic. A few new for years on last few damp nights.

All the best

Last three nights:-

26th April - 12 moths of 11 species including new for year Pebble Prominent (pic), Agonopterix arenella & Ingrailed Clay caterpillar (pic x 2)

27th April - 14 moths of 10 species including new for year Chinese Character (pic), Lesser Swallow Prominent (pic), Scalloped Hazel, Turnip & Garden Carpet

28th April - 4 moths of 4 species but still including new for year Buff Ermine

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Pebble Prominent 002.JPG
    Pebble Prominent 002.JPG
    595.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Ingrailed Clay 001.JPG
    Ingrailed Clay 001.JPG
    624.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Ingrailed Clay 003.JPG
    Ingrailed Clay 003.JPG
    611.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Chinese Character 001.JPG
    Chinese Character 001.JPG
    524.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Lesser Swallow Prominent 002.JPG
    Lesser Swallow Prominent 002.JPG
    544.7 KB · Views: 25
A few more pics - Scalloped Hazel, Turnip (x 2), Garden Carpet & Buff Ermine.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Scalloped Hazel 001.JPG
    Scalloped Hazel 001.JPG
    1,006.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Turnip 001.JPG
    Turnip 001.JPG
    723.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Turnip 002.JPG
    Turnip 002.JPG
    533.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Garden Carpet 002.JPG
    Garden Carpet 002.JPG
    826.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Buff Arches 002.JPG
    Buff Arches 002.JPG
    845.3 KB · Views: 26
Paul you've incorrectly named your Buff Ermine a Buff Arches on the photo itself despite having the correct identity in the text above the photos. Great shots as ever!

Paul you've incorrectly named your Buff Ermine a Buff Arches on the photo itself despite having the correct identity in the text above the photos. Great shots as ever!

How funny! Cheers. I'll relabel on my computer in case I am ever looking for Buff Ermine photos.

Edit - now relabelled my photos on the computer.

All the best

Last edited:
A single Shuttle-shaped Dart in the trap this morning - also a dampness that indicates a less than fully accurate weather forecast. Still, tomorrow's another day.

John

A single Shuttle-shaped Dart in the trap this morning - also a dampness that indicates a less than fully accurate weather forecast. Still, tomorrow's another day.

John

Haven't bothered for a week, it's still cold enough at night that we're getting condensation on the windows.

29th April- four moths of four species but nothing new for thbeste year.

30th April - two moths of two species with Treble Lines new for the year.

All the best

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back