• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Return To Iran, Birding the Persian Jewel. (1 Viewer)

Abr. 6 January.

Minus 11 C, a stunning hoar frost turning the world white, a freezing fog drapsing hillside and vale. Plans to visit the renouned Touran reserve, home to remaining Asian Cheetahs and Persian Onager fell by the wayside, I had instead set my sights on the high juniper forests of the eastern Albrov.

Assuming the forests were not debecked in metres of snow and hoping the remote Abr village would be accessible, I departed Shahrud with a thermos of coffee, my binoculars and camera and a highly optimistic hope that I might just find a Caspian Tit or even White-winged Grosbeak. To be honest, I was not even sure I would find Abr village.

Puffball personata White Wagtails shivered in the morning chill, me too, but soon a guy stopped to give me a lift - up the main road towards the high tops we went, the kind driver turning up his heater full blast. According to satellite maps, my turning should only be about 20 km, and sure enough, on a cold desolute top, a sign to Abr appeared in the gloom. I thanked my driver, jumped out and headed off, ahead one very lonely road leading into a blanket of freezing fog, small flocks of Shore Larks on the ice-crusted verges. A villager soon gave me a lift and, bar sliding off the road midway, we arrived in the snow-decked Abr without incident, the mountain above barely visible due to rolling banks of fog. Decling an offer of breakfast, I trudged off into the snow, somewhere up there lay the juniper forests, the habitat of my quarries for the day. I soon appreciated this was all going to be a little fanciful however - to see a White-winged Grosbeak would first require the seeing of a juniper tree ...and in the fog, I really had little idea which way to hike. Stumbled into odd junipers here and there, little stunted things, hardly likely to be dripping in avain goodies I thought to myself. The snow got deeper, whisps of fog continued to slink through the valleys, a bunch of Chukars winged down the slope, a Golden Eagle launched off a crag. A deep gully held promise, a few trees in its bottom, but slid almost to my waist in snow to get there, brrr not so warm. And in its welcoming habitat, a grand total of one bird! A nice bird however, a first-winter Eversmann's Redstart, my third of the trip.

Upward would mean ever more snow, and given I actually had almost no idea if the forest was a kilometre or ten, I decided to hike back down and explore the orchards adjacent to Abr village. A horrendous pack of ferocious dogs penned me in onhte way down, four sets of snarling barking jaws surrounding me, edging in, trying to get behind me, not so pleasant. After a stand-off of some minutes, as I tired to calm them, all but one slowly got bored and wandered off. The last persisted, backing off to about four metres, but not letting up with the show of teeth and vocal power. A small rock tossed at this last straggler persuaded him to go.

Down at the orchards, the sun now breaking through the fog, drifts of snow prevented full investigation, but a nice collection in the mosaic of fruit trees, poplar stands and field plots - a flock of Red-fronted Serins, two decent sized flocks of Rock Buntings, a couple of Choughs and heaps and heaps of Shore Larks, a total of about 180 noted. Also, associating with the Rock Bunting, a small bunting which initially got me scratching my head - it turned out to be a totally out-of-habitat, out-of-season Reed Bunting, most weird to see on snow-covered high alpine slopes.

Also a little assortment of the more familar, a Robin and Blackbird, a few Blue Tits and Great Tits. No White-winged Grosbeak or Caspian Tit, but still a most pleasing day nonetheless. I hitch-hiked back to Shahrud as the temperature began its late-afternoon tumble.

Jeez Jos, take the Red Fronted Serins out and that day would rank as one of my worst ever ! :-O

I am going to Turkey in April and fear running into one of those huge shepherd dogs the Turkish farmers have. What is the best way to handle unfriendly dogs? Stare at them & stand your ground? Not make eye contact & look away & keep calm? No point running I guess. Someone mentioned having a high-pitched dog whistle.

What is the best way to handle unfriendly dogs.

I've rarely got into a situation as with these particular dogs - after thundering across the slope towards me, I'd expected them to do the standard angry dog thing, i.e. stand a few metres away barking like crazy. These though went the full hog, literally getting to just beyond boot distance, circling me and seeming intend to move in for a bite, each dog trying to get behind me and then immediately go for fast bite. What I absolutely didn't want is an attack to start, 'cos I had visions of the lot then going bonkers.

Without any other option, I mimicked something I saw on Big Bear Diaries, where the guy just calmly stood and firmly said stop. Much to my surprise, or relief, it worked to a degree. I then softened my voice, 'okay, oaky, enough'. Essentually this worked, but if I tried to move, they erupted again, hence the stand-off.

Eventually, all but one decided it was time to return to the goat herd near a kilometre up to the slope, then one on one, I opted for the rock option, this dog then scooting off to a respectable distance.

In hindsight, I wiish I'd taken some photographs of the snarling mouths, but I confess to have other concerns at the time :-O

PS any day with an Eversmann's Redstart can not be a 'worst day ever' ;)

Without any other option, I mimicked something I saw on Big Bear Diaries, where the guy just calmly stood and firmly said stop. Much to my surprise, or relief, it worked to a degree. I then softened my voice, 'okay, oaky, enough'. Essentually this worked, but if I tried to move, they erupted again, hence the stand-off.

There's a scene in the film Grizzly Man in which Tim Treadwell does something very similar. It seemed to work well for him, up to a point anyway I suppose.

Since being bitten by a dog can wreck your trip (at least by wasting time getting to the nearest hospital for a rabies vaccine), I will tell my way.

Lean down and pick a rock (or simply pretend to pick a rock, even if there is no rocks around). Most rural dogs worldwide know this movement and move to a safe distance immediately.

Great trip, Jos!

I think i would have nearly evacuated myself :eek!: Fair play though for keeping so calm.

Sorry Jos i was in a hurry when I read the post, and yes the Redstart would have made a significant difference to the day. Very nice bird indeed.

Bastam Valley. 7 January.

A last throw of the dice, a bright crisp morning, minus ten again, clear skies and sun. Stretching to the north-east of Shahrud, I’d seen a broad valley the day before, carpeted in a mosaic of assorted orchards, tilled fields and stands of poplar - surely an magnet to any passing birds, snow-decked mountains to the north, the vast desert of Dasht-e-Kavir forever south. Here, I would play my dice.

Hitched a lift seven kilometres up to the small town of Bastam, cut across into the valley, and then began my slow meander back. I had some hopes of perhaps a wintering Black-throated Thrush, but also had some expectations of seeing virtually nothing. The dice truly landed the right side up, the day turned out to be a fantastic finale to my trip to Iran, good birding all the way and a few very nice surprises.

Barely a hundred metres down, the first nice bird of the day – atop one of the many traditional mud enclosures, a very smart Little Owl watching me go, eyes sparkling in the morning sun. Next up, a big powerful female Goshawk powering her way through the valley, the local corvids none too impressed. Not a common species in Iran and my first in the country, I was rather more impressed. A few Chaffinches and Linnets also in the area, then the first Rock Buntings of the day, a small flock feeding amongst iced stalks, the remnants of a crop now long since harvested. Three Woodlarks in their midst, then up they flitted to a small copse, a degree of bird activity seeming to eminate from that quarter. Circled round, a few Great Tits and the Rock Buntings already visible, three Song Thrushes flying out. Maybe here would be my Black-throated Thrush? I sneaked in and birds galore, all winterers from the north – a Wren up to scold, then two new species for the trip in rapid succession, a whole bunch of Bramblings, then two Redwings. Not quite a Black-throated Thrush, but on the last day of a trip, any additions to the trip list are welcome, and I was now already on three! On I ambled, admiring the frost-coated landscape, enjoying the peaceful serenity. Flocks of Shore Larks here and there, occasional Rock Buntings every so often. A little to the south, I reached a more open area, plots of cut wheat, mud embankments to channel irrigation water, poplars and orchards more diffuse.
10.00 a.m., a couple of hours into my walk, a real purple patch. It all started with a humble flock of Yellowhammers feeding at a field’s edge, a few Rock Buntings with them, another four Woodlarks too. This being north-east Iran, Yellowhammers always deserve a careful scan, so that’s what I did – about forty birds, a mix of bright and subtle yellows as I worked through from the left. And then a cold colourless bird, not a hint of yellow, pale fringings to the primaries ...bingo, one Pine Bunting. The flock rose and settled in a hedge, now three Pine Buntings!!! One winter male, two female types. Well that chuffed me no end. All of a hundred metres further, the action continued, a female Eversmann’s Redstart perched in a polladed willow grabbing my attention, a fairly confiding individual who seemed content for me to take a photograph. Then all hell broke lose, sat on a mud wall just adjacent, and until then unseen by me, a stonking great Sakar Falcon took to the air, scattering a flock of Rock Doves and immediately distracting me from my photo session with the lady redstart. Off the Saker went and then promptly sat itself down on a heap of mud in the middle of one of the fields. Meanwhile, my redstart had now taken offence at being upstaged and had retired to a grove of fruit trees, no longer offering any reasonable chances for pictures. A bird then flew into the top of a poplar overhead, chirping a slight twinkling as it went. And there sat my first Desert Finch of the trip, soon to be joined by three more, cracking stuff.

Could it get any better? With the Saker still in the field, I wandered a little her way, but off she went, low across the field, up and over the next orchard, flushing a large flock of passerines as she went. They settled in a ploughed field, so I followed to check them out. Linnets mostly, but two chunky-billed crackers too – Mongolian Finches! I was losing count of all the new additions to the trip list. And then one more, just a few minutes after a second Goshawk came cruising by, a male this time, so too did a Hen Harrier, a ringtail completing the full set of four harriers on this trip, neat.

Via small flocks of Spanish Sparrows, Meadow Pipits, then Tree Sparrows, I reached a small village – left I could continue down the valley, right would take me back to the road. Sadly, I was finally running out of time, back to Shahrud I had to go. A Sparrowhawk in town, a bunch of personata White Wagtails on the sidewalks and a Grey Wagtail on a trafffic island, in my hotel room I packed my bag for the last time.

At 2.00 p.m., I boarded a bus for the six-hour ride to Tehran, landscapes of semi-desert flying past, occasional Common Ravens, more frequent Hooded Crows. My trip to Iran was basically over, a final battle with the Tehrani taxi drivers and a last game of Russian roulette on the crazy roads of the capital. 8.30 p.m., I was back at Iman Khomeini International Airport.

Departure from Iran. 8 January.

04.10 a.m., a half hour late, I take off into the dark skies of northern Iran, next stop Istanbul, a lenghty stop-over and thereafter Frankfurt and eventually Vilnius.

Iran had done it again, exceeded my expectations, the birding phenominal in both the sub-tropical south and the sub-zero north. On top of that, throw in the never-ending hospitality and charm of the Iranian people, the cultural delight of Yazd Old City, plus the big bonus of chance encounters with Wolf, and I guess I have to say, it was a very good second trip to the country. Thank you Iran.

A few photographs from the last day...

1. Bastam Valley in the frost
2. Little Owl
3. Eversmann's Redstart, unfortunately not so co-operative as moments before A sakar went through, and unfortunatley not a male

Attachments

• Bastam Valley ir.jpg
    Bastam Valley ir.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 86
  • Little Owl ir 1.jpg
    Little Owl ir 1.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Eversmanns Redstart ir.jpg
    Eversmanns Redstart ir.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 123
My hardcore days are long gone (and nothing like as hardcore) , but this was a great reminder of how great it is to get out birding on your own in big wide wild spaces - and the guardian angel got you safely home with a sackful of birds!

Cheers
Mike

I am less frequent on Birdforum after broadening out to pan-species interests and have just read through this whole thread with the fascination I had for your previous trip reports. You do push the boundaries to a noble and admirable extent. I am currently reading Peter Matthiessens book on Antartica and I am sure even he would be impressed by you.

Good stuff tough guy and thanks for sharing!

What an eclectic mix of wildlife. So many birds found in Europe with so many birds from the Middle East, Central Asia and South Asia. Iran is the end of the range for many species from further North, West and East. Many of the birds you mentioned do not occur further east into Pakistan.

The report is a great reed and I have always wanted to go to Iran. I hope no war breaks out. The netting of wildfowl is increasing in Pakistan too. It is very destructive.

How exciting it must have been to come across wolves just like that. I would have been scared a little.

Is that the last Sibe?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back