• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Staffordshire (1 Viewer)

When finding a bird with a chinstrap make sure to rule out Penguin!

I first saw Pacific Diver in huge numbers in Southern California, my notes record around 250 past Goleta Point in one hour, whilst many around the basins of San Diego were partly oiled. I was lucky to catch up with the Welsh bird in GB, having been away for the Yorkshire bird.

Alas no it is not and it would never be deemed as acceptable within the region without ringed individuals. Although you did almost convince to go.

No birding for me tommorrow, a distinct dodgy move I feel.

News for the 21st Nov

Snow Bunting - Belvide - generally at the west end and still present at 12.55pm at least.

I hope you didn't decide against having a none birding day Martyn??

Little Egret - Croxall Lakes on East Scrape at 08.00

News from the 20th Nov

2 Caspian (both 3rd winter), 2 Yellow-legged & Med Gull - Chasewater roost

3 Caspian Gull (near ad, 3w & 2w) - Stubber's Green, Walsall (West Mids strictly but was in Old Staffs!)

1st winter drake Scaup - Blithfield in Tad bay.
2 adult Yellow-legged Gull - Belvide

Last edited:
Additional news for today :

2 3rd w Caspian Gulls at Stubbers Green this afternoon.

Sounds like theres been 4 birds in the past week : nr ad, 2 3rdw, 2nd w.

Also a Russian ringed Herring Gull present.

This is an excellent site to study gulls and excellent views are guaranteed especially when compared to the Chasewater roost.

Checked Gailey for the Pacific Diver :), and absolutely nothing of note at all.

Sounds like Belvide has had a good day. Shag off dam just reported per RBA as well as Snow Bunting still at West end.

Shag for second day as well - apparently entered into the log book for yesterday. The Shag was found late on in the gull roost - details on Steves Belv blog. As for the rest of Staffs - well it stayed dry for longer than we expected, but checked out A38 / Junc pit and Branston GP with little success and GM was at Blith from first light. The Snow Bunting saved the day!

Nick Smith (not some bloke from Ipswich Max!)

Last edited:
Snow Bunting

Yes a non-birding day, luckily already seen all that stuff in the region this year.

Duck count day tommorrow, yawn.

Well done Belvide, a mini purple patch, with a Shag by the dam, ohhh matron!

News for the 21st Nov

Snow Bunting - Belvide - generally at the west end and still present at 12.55pm at least.

I hope you didn't decide against having a none birding day Martyn??

Little Egret - Croxall Lakes on East Scrape at 08.00

News from the 20th Nov

2 Caspian (both 3rd winter), 2 Yellow-legged & Med Gull - Chasewater roost

3 Caspian Gull (near ad, 3w & 2w) - Stubber's Green, Walsall (West Mids strictly but was in Old Staffs!)

1st winter drake Scaup - Blithfield in Tad bay.
2 adult Yellow-legged Gull - Belvide

Yes a non-birding day, luckily already seen all that stuff in the region this year.

Duck count day tommorrow, yawn.

Well done Belvide, a mini purple patch, with a Shag by the dam, ohhh matron!

Yep it's the first Shag at Belvide since Jan 1988!! An immature that was also present yday (as per the log book) and may have been present on Thurs as well.

I see a Bairds Sand has been reported at Belvide this afternoon. Shame the news of an interesting unidentified wader sp didnt get out earlier? Or am I being harsh?

Caspian Gull-Stubbers Green

Visited Stubbers Green (in Old Staffs) this afternoon and managed to see an adult Caspian Gull my first sighting of this species. Four other birders also present.

Also saw a Herring Gull with blue ring and number/lettering. One of the other birders who may use this thread may be able to state its origin.

Dean :t:

BAIRDS SAND' @ Belvide.

Adult Bairds Sand' reported by Rba at 1652. Present from 1405-1505 in front of the first hide before flying off s/w. Sounds like Steve's had another county crippler!!!! Why couldn't it have been there this mornin'? I'd have gladly missed a visit to Utch for that one. Missed the Blithers bird because of work:-C.

Andy

Adult Bairds Sand' reported by Rba at 1652. Present from 1405-1505 in front of the first hide before flying off s/w. Sounds like Steve's had another county crippler!!!! Why couldn't it have been there this mornin'? I'd have gladly missed a visit to Utch for that one. Missed the Blithers bird because of work:-C.

Andy

Alrite Andy, i've spoken to The Snapper who saw the Baird's and about six birders saw it (not including Mr Belvide unfortunately!) it was very flighty and often quiet distant and the think the bird needed a bit more 'piecing together' due to the views. It sounds like video footage has been taken by Hughey King but not sure how good this is (maybe a video grab will be available?) i'm sure a birders who saw it will post a bit more info on here in a short while!!

Cheers...:t:

Visited Stubbers Green (in Old Staffs) this afternoon and managed to see an adult Caspian Gull my first sighting of this species. Four other birders also present.

Also saw a Herring Gull with blue ring and number/lettering. One of the other birders who may use this thread may be able to state its origin.

Dean :t:

Hi Dean

A russian ringed Herring Gull has been seen, more details on this on the Chasewater Wildlife Group site although i think the ring is stated as being white with black writing? Must be a different bird.

http://www.chasewater.org.uk/diarymonths/2009/November 2009.htm

Extra items of news for today (as well as the BAIRD'S!!)

singing Cetti's Warbler - Aqualate Mere (heard only from the hide)

Immature Shag - still at Belvide along the dam wall (+2 Little Egret) but no sign of the Snow Bunting

Garganey (Blithe bay) and Scaup (Tad bay) - Blithfield (+ad Med Gull & Yellow-legged Gull)

2 Ruff - Branston GP's (with 600+ Golden Plover, 7 Green Sand, Little Egret)

2 Caspian Gull - Stubber's Green, Walsall (ye olde Staffs!! ;))

Last edited:
Saw the Shag this morning. Then thought I'd check Aqualate just to check what we're all missing. ;) Cetti's called a couple of times from the reeds in front and to the right of the hide.

Following that, an adult Med Gull and adult Yellow-legged Gull at Blithers.

Alrite Andy, i've spoken to The Snapper who saw the Baird's and about six birders saw it (not including Mr Belvide unfortunately!) it was very flighty and often quiet distant and the think the bird needed a bit more 'piecing together' due to the views. It sounds like video footage has been taken by Hughey King but not sure how good this is (maybe a video grab will be available?) i'm sure a birders who saw it will post a bit more info on here in a short while!!

Cheers pal, doesn't ease the pain though. It just shows there's always a good bird lurking somewhere, even during "quiet" periods. I bet "The Nut'" is gutted, didn't he miss a Glossy Ibis at the pond not so long ago or was that unproved? I can't remember off hand.

Andy.

Hi All,

I can let you know the story regarding this bird.

Just after 14:00 Kevin Clements picked up a small calidris wader flying across the reservoir and it landed on the point to the left of the first hide.

There were a few of us in the hide including Kevin Clements, Nick Pom, Hughie King. As I scoped it, I expected to see Dunlin. Instead, there was a shorter straigher-billed calidris which was small in size with breast streaking and white underparts. It certainly appeared smaller than Dunlin but not as 'tiny' as Little or Temminck's Stints. The hide was silent as none of us could put an immediate name to it.

Shortly after the bird flew with Lapwings and showed a dark rump and very narrow pale wingbars. Graham Mant then came into the hide just as the bird came back to the point. Views were distant so we walked round to the Gazebo hide still confused.

The bird was seen slightly better here but still rather distantly. Kevin commented on the length of the wings and we were then getting convinced we had something good. The bird again took flight towards the West end before it finally flew high South West. The wings again looked long and rather uniform in colour.

Through a process of elimination we all came to the same conclusion : Bairds Sand. As the bird was an adult, it lacked the distinctive scaly patterning on the upperparts seen in juveniles.

This bird was rather a case of putting a jigsaw puzzle of several key features together in a very short space of time and the bird was just too flighty. It remained silent at all times.

It was just a shame the the bird didn't linger long enough or show well early enough to get clinched quickly.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back