• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Excellent Leica Repair (1 Viewer)

Pileatus

"Experientia Docet”
United States
Thank you Leica!
Here’s the repair timeline for my 7X42 Ultravid BR (purchased 2004).

Leica Camera USA Customer Care
1 Pearl Court Unit A
Allendale, NJ 07401-1610

2/16/2018 Shipped Ultravid via UPS ($28.39).
2/20/2018 Received by Leica at 10:34 am.
2/21/2018 Email: Leica will advise after evaluation.
4/19/2018
*** Email: repair completed expect within a week.
*** Email: Need CC info for shipping charge.
*** Email: PDF Invoice received with 800 number.
*** Called 800-222-0118 (Choose option 7 for repair), gave them CC info ($35 shipping).
4/20/2018 Received Ultravid via UPS (Job Done)

I sincerely thank Leica for restoring my Ultravid to like-new condition. Here’s a list of work performed (based on the invoice and personal observations).

UPGRADE OPTICAL SYSTEM (it was in caps on the invoice)
New body armor
Sleeve(2), ring (2), cover (1)
My original problem concerned speckles inside both optical tubes. Whatever it was is now absent and both telescopes are spotlessly clean (viewed with flashlight from objective end).
The diopter window (cracked) was replaced.
New eyecups were installed.
The hinge, which had a small ding, was replaced.
I believe objectives and eyepieces were replaced as part of the optical upgrade. All lenses look new.
Black armor is new and snug on the body.
Diopter at 0 works for my corrected vision.
Hinge tension is perfect.
Focus is exactly how I like it…smooth with some resistance.

Suggestions:
I sent my Ultravid to Leica without a strap or lens covers. Bubble wrap it to death and the lenses will be safe. Leica returned it packaged in a similar manner.
Call 800-222-0118 (Choose option 7 for repair) to give them credit card info for shipping. I received a few emails and, due to timing, there was some confusion. You should get an email with a repair invoice PDF that has the 800 number.

Last edited:
That is excellent. Glad you are happy. They told me nine weeks on my Noctivid so that’s pretty much spot on. I sent mine in on March 15th.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back