• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX50 Specs (2 Viewers)

How about a bit of thick tape over the mic.
I guess it's the 3x3 group of holes on the left end.
Electrical tape wouldn't leave a mark.
Or some hand gymnastics and work out a way to get your thumb over it.
Just had a play and that is possible.
I agree about the wind noise etc, real annoying.

Thanks Guys the editing software I use is basic Picasa with no option to remove audio ,and looking at the options for windows 10 there does not seem to be anything at least in the basic range , all I want in an editor is cut out the shaky bits and mute the sound , , I'll try to cover the mic ,but I do use it occasionally to record birdsong as a stop gap for those deep cover skulkers.
An option to mute in the camera would be great .
Cheers
Brian

Thanks Guys the editing software I use is basic Picasa with no option to remove audio ,and looking at the options for windows 10 there does not seem to be anything at least in the basic range , all I want in an editor is cut out the shaky bits and mute the sound , , I'll try to cover the mic ,but I do use it occasionally to record birdsong as a stop gap for those deep cover skulkers.
An option to mute in the camera would be great .
Cheers
Brian

How about using Windows Movie Maker? I believe you can still download it for Windows 10. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/where-is-movie-maker-in-windows-10

I have to admit I haven't used it for a few years, but I remember it was very easy to cut bits out of the video, and to manipulate the audio (I used it to add music over the video).

Or you can change the [Movie Audio] settings in the camera (see the user guide p78).

Mike

Cheers Mike I had looked into that but as your link says Movie Maker is not supported in Windows 10 ?
Brian

Haven't tried it myself, but the link says you can download it if you really want it - so I guess it will run ok.

Sorry, I can't offer any other suggestions as I don't have personal experience of using any other video-editing software - maybe someone else on this forum can help?

Mike

Thanks for the link M. An interesting product.

Rich

I have an Xit XTLCDMVL Professional Viewfinder waiting for me when I get home tomorrow. I wear vari-focal specs and have a terrible time using the EVF. I have taken some good (for me) photos with my SX-50, but have also missed quite a few due to the miniscule EVF and the less than satisfactory diopter adjustment. I am hoping that this bit of kit wil help ameliorate that situation. Fingers crossed!

Woodbadger,
I'll be interested to see how you go with this.
It's a style of product I've been looking at for a while.
I hope I'm wrong but this one looks like it will need a bit of a mod.
It looks like it requires the tripod socket to be central to the lcd.
On the SX50 it's offset to the right (looking from the back)

Woodbadger,

Grahame,
Yes, I noticed that. However, it looks to me that there is a bit of latitude afforded by the "rail" style mount where the eyepiece mounts to the adapter. Bit of a gamble, but I bought from Amazon, so if it doesnt work out, I'll return it!
I'll keep you posted.

While it's a hassle to carry around my heavy Canon SLR, a real advantage over the SX50 is the option to go to manual focus via the switch on the lens. Works great for little birds sitting in the foliage. So there are a few things which Canon still can improve with their next SX?? model. - Some recent SX50 photos.

Attachments

• Stork1.jpg
    Stork1.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 151
  • Stork2.jpg
    Stork2.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 114
  • Jackdaw.jpg
    Jackdaw.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 144
  • Dunnock.jpg
    Dunnock.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 130
  • Dipper.jpg
    Dipper.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 139
Using a Viewfinder/LCD Hood with SX-50

View attachment 579664
I have an Xit XTLCDMVL Professional Viewfinder waiting for me when I get home tomorrow. I wear vari-focal specs and have a terrible time using the EVF. I have taken some good (for me) photos with my SX-50, but have also missed quite a few due to the miniscule EVF and the less than satisfactory diopter adjustment. I am hoping that this bit of kit wil help ameliorate that situation. Fingers crossed!

Woodbadger,

Sorry it has taken awhile to get back on this.

The hood/viewfinder comes with a tripod screw, two brackets, a carry lanyard which secures by a metal ring behind the rubber eyepiece (I removed this) and a padded bag/case. The eyepiece provides 3.4x magnification of the LCD screen when installed.

As GrahameNZ speculated I needed to make a bit of a mod. However, it was NOT to do with the offset to the tripod socket.

The length of the "rail" on the bottom of the viewfinder unit is long enough (just) to compensate for the offset of the tripod socket in relation to the LCD screen. The unit comes with two different brackets, which allow for vertical adjustment of the hood in relation to the camera body and therefore the LCD. However, even using the lower profile bracket results in the hood obscuring most of the exposure information and the bottom of the screen.
In order to rectify this I realized that I would have to install a spacer/shim between the bracket and the body. The problem with this is that when I did that the tripod screw was no longer long enough to contact the socket on the camera body.

So, this is what I ended up doing.
- I ordered a replacement tripod screw with and extra long (15.5mm) post. This to accommodate the spacer.
- For the spacer I bought a packet of heavy duty, self-adhesive felt blankets; the kind you would use to protect a hard floor from the bottom of furniture legs (see picture below).
- I cut a piece of the felt to cover the top of the low profile bracket arm (where it would contact the camera body). I then used a craft knife to cut a slot in the felt to match the slot in the bracket.
- Inserting the new, longer tripod screw through the bracket and felt, I secured the bracket to the camera, attached the rail on the hood to the bracket, and slipped the shock cord over the top of the camera viewfinder.
- The viewfinder now is low enough to expose the entire LCD screen!
- The flexible eyecup is large enough to use with eyeglasses and provides enough light exclusion to make using the LCD screen as a viewfinder in strong light easy!!!

I went to to South Padre Island (Texas) on Saturday to experience the front end of migration. The use of the viewfinder afforded a much improved view and easier focusing than the EVF, as well as improving stability over using the LCD "naked".

I am very pleased with this c.$30 mod to my SX-50. Now if I could only improve my photographic skills!!!! 3:)
Pictures attached.

Attachments

• image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 182
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 168
  • image4.JPG
    image4.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 193
  • image5.JPG
    image5.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 172
  • image6.JPG
    image6.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 205
I posted months ago looking for help on resetting my SX50 back to factory settings. I have tried with the LCD open and not (looking through the viewfinder) with and without a memory card.
With memory card all I get is "Busy" without all I get is no memory card.

I think last time the advice was to make sure I had a memory card so still no joy.

I'm really barely a casual user and mash buttons all the time. Anyone?

Does the information given on p 211 of the user guide help?

Those are the instructions I followed. Except that I don't get the last message of "Default settings are now restored" I just get "Busy"

It ends with assuming that you get a successful result. There is nothing else.

I posted months ago looking for help on resetting my SX50 back to factory settings. I have tried with the LCD open and not (looking through the viewfinder) with and without a memory card.
With memory card all I get is "Busy" without all I get is no memory card.

I think last time the advice was to make sure I had a memory card so still no joy.

GrahameNZ had said in reply #2130:
The busy message usually only comes up when the camera is writing to the sd card, that seems a strange thing to happen when doing a reset. Have you got another card you can try, format it in the sx50 first.
Trying a new card seemed like a sound advice to me. Also because you had mentioned a slow shutter speed. So as a first step I'd try a new card ("class 10" or better).

If this "busy" message appears and you turn off the camera and on again (or take out the battery for a moment), is it back to step one (the slow shutter speed) or are you still getting the "busy" message?

I hope you find a solution, but if it's not the card, the camera may be defective. If it's still in the warranty period, I'd contact the seller asap.

Last edited:
Hi Folks, don't know if anyone can help a real camera novice?

I am using CrazyFinger's settings and getting shots beyond my wildest dreams! But I also seem to be over-exposing quite a few shots. Is there a simple 'tweak I could try? Generally I am shooting in bright sunshine or at least clear skies (darn this Bulgarian weather! ;))

Thanks,

Chris

I am using CrazyFinger's settings and getting shots beyond my wildest dreams! But I also seem to be over-exposing quite a few shots. Is there a simple 'tweak I could try? Generally I am shooting in bright sunshine or at least clear skies (darn this Bulgarian weather! ;))

Thanks,

Chris

Some users believe that the SX50 has a tendency to overexpose. They use exposure correction of -2/3 or even more as their basic setting, you could try that and see which value is more to your taste. Go to exposure correction by pressing the "func set" button "up" and change the setting.

Added: two recent photos, a Black-necked grebe and, from a larger distance, perhaps a Green sandpiper (?).

Attachments

• Black-necked grebe.jpg
    Black-necked grebe.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 230
  • Green sandpiper.jpg
    Green sandpiper.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
Many thanks indeed HermitIbis! I went out this afternoon after adjusting as per your advice and am sure I have seen a difference already. Will contyinue to 'play about' with the setting.

Chris

I think the metering is out as well. As standard I use -0.3 EV which I find is ample adjustment in normal lighting conditions.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back