• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Vanguard Endeavor EDs have arrived!!!! (1 Viewer)

..... I was wondering how often is acceptable to clean a pair of binocs. .....
..... I'm thinking it's not good to be OCD about every single speck of dust you see on the lens that can't be blown off with canned air. Even then, advice on the subject would be appreciated!

The problem is: you will probably get as many answers as there are forum members (at least that was my impression last time when the subject came up, may have been in another forum).

I am myself quite neurotic about my binos and try to always store them in a clean state. I follow these rules:
- don‘t touch (or even rub on) the lenses unless it‘s really necessary
- so dust gets blown off, as much as possible, not wiped off
- what remains after blowing - finger prints, and the like - gets gently wiped off with clean (!) microfiber cloth or special lens cleaner tool. As little pressue as possible
- dirty binoculars (seawater / mud / whatever comes down on you in the forest) get washed under the tap first if they are waterproof (the majority of mine are), then throughly dried, then inspected for spots and so. But wet cleaning remains the last resort for me for when it‘s inevitable (in contrast, I know people who routinely wash their bino after returning home)
- each step follows the rule „only when necessary“

And that‘s the big subject of controversy: what means „necessary“?

So far, all my binos are in pristine shape. But let‘s see how others see the subject.

Canip

You and Arthur are absolutely right. And Canip gives good advice. Cleaning is best limited. Its a balancing act. You don't want to risk scratches by being tempted to wipe off every grain of dust but you don't want to leave it so long that it becomes a major task needing all the delicacy of a brain surgeon. The main concern, and I think you already know this, is to brush and/or blow all the dust off before using breath and microfibre cloths to polish. Stubborn marks can be cleaned off with a little lens cleaner applied to a small area of the cloth or by using a fresh lens wipe.

Lee

Last edited:
Not that they need it yet, but after getting caught in the rain last night, I was wondering how often is acceptable to clean a pair of binocs. I'm thinking the answer is no different from my telescope, which is as little as possible, but if I could get some guidance, that'd be great.

Luckily in spite of getting caught in the rain, I was able to get the caps on before getting caught in the downpour so the glass did not get wet. Still, it got me thinking - I'm thinking it's not good to be OCD about every single speck of dust you see on the lens that can't be blown off with canned air. Even then, advice on the subject would be appreciated!

All you really need when you're out is a small retractable lens brush and a lens cloth - i prefer the microfibre ones that will absorb water from the lens. A quick flick with the brush to remove any micro-particles that you could otherwise rub into the glass without knowing (the cause of the famous 'cleaning scratches') and a light circular wipe with the cloth.
I've got a small leather zip-up pouch that holds both, plus a spare pencil and a sharpener....talk about OCD!
The reason i know this is an ok technique is as i recently had a scope (cleaned like that for years) assessed by a noted retailer in the UK for its trade-in value. They obviously look for lens scratches under a light and found none - said the glass was like new. Light pressure and the brush first is the answer.
Paddy

All you really need when you're out is a small retractable lens brush and a lens cloth - i prefer the microfibre ones that will absorb water from the lens. A quick flick with the brush to remove any micro-particles that you could otherwise rub into the glass without knowing (the cause of the famous 'cleaning scratches') and a light circular wipe with the cloth.
I've got a small leather zip-up pouch that holds both, plus a spare pencil and a sharpener....talk about OCD!
The reason i know this is an ok technique is as i recently had a scope (cleaned like that for years) assessed by a noted retailer in the UK for its trade-in value. They obviously look for lens scratches under a light and found none - said the glass was like new. Light pressure and the brush first is the answer.
Paddy

Thank you so much for the tip! Would something like this work?

https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-7072-L...s=retractable+lens+brush&th=1#customerReviews

Last edited:
I was in a hurry this morning, and didn't see everyone else's responses by scrolling up. Thanks everyone for the advice. While I'm new to binoculars, I'm not new to optics having been into astronomy since I was 12, and having been serious about it for about 8 years now.

To clean my optics (like you guys said, as less often as possible), I begin with a blowing on the glass with compressed air. Then I apply a mix of isopropyl alcohol, distilled water, with a couple of drops of dish detergent. I apply it in small sections to the glass. Once that's done, I then apply eclipse optics cleaning fluid which dissolves the soap and water. All of these things are applied using pec pads. I used this same method for the corrector plate on my telescope as well as my eyepieces. Again, I do this as little as possible - every couple of years maximum.

I'd think my binocs could use the same method, although I'm not sure about which coatings hold up to what. This question isn't pertinent now obviously since my bins are brand new, but the lens brush that was recommended seems to be good choice in keeping away the need for a deeper cleaning like the one I listed above.

Well - that's a serious deep clean! About once a year i give the glass a wipe over with residual oil removerr (R.O.R) which is a form of detergent and remove any film that might be lying there (whether you can see it or not). You might need a wash-and-wipe afterwards to remove the last of the ROR (i put some on a cloth rather than direct onto the glass).
For out-in-the-field standard removal of dust, sand etc. it is the brush and lens cloth approach. In some unpleasant conditions, i just drip some water from the tap onto the glass (after a brush-cloth) and shake it off before another lens cloth wipe.
Rather obviously, this is for waterproof bins only!

There does seem to be dozens of approaches to cleaning, and i'm sure you'll get other suggestions if you ask!
The brush you suggested would do it. I use the shortest one possible, just so it fits into the little pouches i use; you only need the brush, not much handle....

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back