• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2016 (5 Viewers)

From the past couple weeks...

25. Northern Cardinal
26. Northern Goshawk
27. Eastern Bluebird
28. American Robin
29. Pine Siskin
30. House Sparrow
31. Red-winged Blackbird

At last a year tick....Lesser Redpoll on the feeder no.51....How uncanny!...this was my first ''addition'' since Feb 3rd :eek!: things must be on the move!

Last edited:
At last a year tick....Lesser Redpoll on the feeder no.51....How uncanny!...this was my first ''addition'' since Feb 3rd :eek!: things must be on the move!

Ok, today I got my first new garden bird since January 22nd!
No 16. Common Redpoll.

Just a single, last winter we had flocks of 70+. Such a different winter.

Thaw is happening this week - new birds are so close!

Ok, today I got my first new garden bird since January 22nd!
No 16. Common Redpoll.

Just a single, last winter we had flocks of 70+. Such a different winter.

Thaw is happening this week - new birds are so close!

Same here...last Winter: mean daily average 2/3, with just a single brief moment of 13, then just the one occurrence of a single Siskin!

This Winter just two singleton visits of Redpoll, and a daily Siskin flock of between 8/18....no two years the same!

Just back from India (trip report to follow)

Snow here! But a Song Thrush is in the garden. Not new - but actually in the garden is.

Still no Song Thrush here yet, but as the last three days' dawn temperatures have been minus 8°, minus 5° and minus 8.5°C it's not surprising, just Mistle Thrush, Woodpigeon and Chaffinches singing so far.
A different Golden Eagle (an adult this time) flew by yesterday which made up for the lack of new arrivals, I predict White Wagtail will return in the next 5 days!

Spring is on its way...

32. Barred Owl
33. Snow Goose
34. Rock Pigeon
35. European Starling
36. Rusty Blackbird
37. Common Grackle
38. American Black Duck
39. Mallard
40. Common Merganser
41. Killdeer
42. Ring-billed Gull
43. Herring Gull

Am pulling away again Joanne!...not just a garden year tick, but a year tick also! A pair of Bullfinches...no.52.

Can someone explain what is a garden year tick or year tick ? Is it if see same bird on same date a year after ?

Brenda Hi, for those of us that keep a "Garden year list" It's from Jan 1st to year end, and if "Year listing" as well for the entire country of domicile during the same period.

Cheers

Brenda Hi, for those of us that keep a "Garden year list" It's from Jan 1st to year end, and if "Year listing" as well for the entire country of domicile during the same period.

Or, down to the individual's choice, anywhere in the world during the year.

No new species to add, but a dramatic increase in numbers this morning has me hopeful for spring arrivals soon.
Siskin numbers are up from a steady 3-5, to 23 this morning, and they brought along at least 11 Purple finches who hogged my sunflower seed feeder for the last hour or so. Four gloriously raspberry pink males holding court with a harem of ladies. Saw one on January 1st, but none since.
Spring is coming!

Still waiting for White Wagtail and Song Thrush, we're stuck in a rhythm of freezing nights and watery sun, which isn't melting the snow very much. Hoping that lightning might strike twice I've been scattering bird seed on the tarmac in front of the house for any passing Citril Finches ;), well it worked last year....
Anyway, nice surprise this morning a smart male :

43 Yellowhammer

was tucking into the seeds,with about 30 Bramblings giving a nice splash of colour. So Yellowhammer gets the prize for the first returning passerine migrant this year :t:

Still waiting for White Wagtail and Song Thrush, we're stuck in a rhythm of freezing nights and watery sun, which isn't melting the snow very much. Hoping that lightning might strike twice I've been scattering bird seed on the tarmac in front of the house for any passing Citril Finches ;), well it worked last year....
Anyway, nice surprise this morning a smart male :

43 Yellowhammer

was tucking into the seeds,with about 30 Bramblings giving a nice splash of colour. So Yellowhammer gets the prize for the first returning passerine migrant this year :t:

Wouldn't say no to either of those!...In with a chance for the former, but alas not the latter. :-C

At 6.20pm a small (2/3rds size of say...Teal) flew past the window, ''fast'' wing beats against a watery pale sky (dusk), clearly a water bird...and I can only compute Little Grebe, albeit apart from shape, wing beats, and size, it was mainly a silhouette, this would constitute a Garden Life/Year tick!....can I tick it?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back