• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x42 vs.10x42 (1 Viewer)

I have binoculars with magnifications between 6x and 12x, but my 10x42 is my most used. Part of the reason is because it's balance, weight and ergonomics means it's the steadiest in my hands. It means the magnified amplitude of the shake is no worse than my 8x binos and I get the full 25% increase in detail. It can be a very different story with other models, and clearly others have a rather different experience.

David

Hi Orvany24, The photos you took of the globe made it quite decisive -good work. May I add that IMO when looking with your eyes, on the 10x, the larger view of the object within a presumably larger AFOV could give an impression that the magnification is the same, i.e. relative to the frame of reference. It's a visual/psychological effect similarly to how the same size Moon looks larger when near buildings etc and smaller when overhead in the empty sky.

To anyone who has issues with the weight (of the binos! :) ), I find a monopod extremely effective. It's light, fast to adjust height single-handedly, collapses to a short stick, doubles up as a hiking/walking stick, good quality at about $15-20 on eBay (clamp and shoe/plate extra), and you can use it with or without a quick-release shoe/plate. With binos I generally don't clip them in, just rest the weight, so zero weight even for large binos, and keep steady. Have fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back