• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex vs Swarovski vs Zeiss vs Leika bins (~8x42) (1 Viewer)

Steves13

United States
I'm looking for binoculars that are sturdy, backed by excellent customer service and warranty, and offer great magnification and clarity.
I've narrowed down my options to the following models:
  1. Vortex UHD 8x42
  2. Swarovski 8.5x42 NL or EL
  3. Zeiss Victory SF 8x42
  4. Leica Noctivid 8x42
I'd love to hear your thoughts on which one is the best pick based on your professional experience and personal preferences.
I'm willing to invest in a top-quality pair without budget constraints, as long as they're durable and provide a fantastic viewing experience.

There are tons of posts here about all these models, these brands, and you will never find unanimity... all you will get is dozens of different answers which will not enlighten you much more !
Really, the best thing is to try it for yourself, Steve !
My personal choice here : NL's 8x42.
Why ?... because they are beasts from out of space !!! 🤪

Living creatures.jpg

I'm looking for binoculars that are sturdy, backed by excellent customer service and warranty, and offer great magnification and clarity.
  1. Vortex UHD 8x42
  3. Zeiss Victory SF 8x42
  4. Leica Noctivid 8x42
I'd love to hear your thoughts on which one is the best pick based on your professional experience and personal preferences.
I'm willing to invest in a top-quality pair without budget constraints, as long as they're durable and provide a fantastic viewing experience.
I have had all those binoculars and I think the most perfect one is the SF 8x42. The Noctivid easily has the best build quality, but it has quite a bit of CA. The NL and EL have glare issues, with the NL being worse than the EL.

If you don't want to spend as much money the Vortex UHD 8x42 is a good choice, especially for low light observing, but overall it is not the equal of the SF 8x42. Another one to consider is the SFL 8x40. Outside of a smaller FOV it is much like the SF 8x42 and is superb for glare control and 1/2 the price to boot. The SFL's also have excellent color purity. Some of the best I have seen.

Last edited:
  1. Vortex UHD 8x42
  3. Zeiss Victory SF 8x42
  4. Leica Noctivid 8x42

I would choose the Noctivid, in fact I have chosen it as my 8x42. For me, the natural balance and saturation of the colours, the excellent central sharpness and the contrast make it stand out from the others. It has an excellent focuser, is very resistant to glare and other difficult lighting conditions (which is an under-appreciated real world characteristic), and has a wide enough field but with no annoying panning behaviour. If you don't get the eye position exactly right you can get a little CA off axis but it rarely intrudes and I am someone who is quite sensitive to it.

Be aware that all roof prism binoculars produce CA to some extent, including all the others mentioned here. This is sometimes forgotten. My Meopta Meostar HD is the best I have ever seen on this, the Zeiss HT 10x42 I used to have was also very good, and Kowa binoculars have an excellent reputation but I have never used one.

I have not looked through the Vortex.

The EL and NL are both excellent in their own ways, especially if you want a very wide FOV. For my taste they are a little blue- or cool-toned compared to reality, and rather susceptible to glare. Some do not like the panning behaviour either, especially in the EL. The NL focuser is excellent, the EL not so much. Be careful with the armouring! There have been some serious problems with it peeling off and it apparently has not been completely solved yet.

The SF is great to handle (focuser, lightness, balance) and has a wide FOV. To my eyes though, the contrast and overall image quality is lacking somewhat compared to the other 'alphas' and I still see a greenish hue in the latest version i.e. not enough red or blue in the image. Some people love it though. I prefer the image through their previous top model the HT, as I think the contrast, colour representation and sharpness are all superior.

Lol at the photos tehri - just the kind of silly creativity we are missing in our modern lives.

To the OP - there is enough material for you to read on the forum to spend weeks glued to the screen.

In the end, you will not know until you choose one, spend some time with it and notice something that bothers you. You may then change your mind and choose a different one. Rinse and repeat. In the end, you will probably find a binocular you like. If you are one of the lucky ones, it might even be the first one you buy ;)

Some impressions of mine - I would not buy Vortex UHD. These are undoubtedly quality bins, but the amount of false colour and the overall image quality were not pleasant enough for me .

Leica Noctivid - again, very good bins but they just did not work for me.

Swarovski NL - only tried 12x and didn't like them, but that was probably more because of the magnification than anything else

Can't help you with Zeiss, but I generally dislike their colour cast, based on my experiences with the Conquest line.

As you can see, it is difficult to find bins that really suit you if you are picky. Even if you mostly test the high end stuff. Your mileage may vary.

Well said tehri (post 2).
'Cos my choice would be the Leica's.
I was also hugely impressed by the Vortex UHD's when I tried them.
You're not going to go wrong with any of them.

I would choose the Noctivid, in fact I have chosen it as my 8x42. For me, the natural balance and saturation of the colours, the excellent central sharpness and the contrast make it stand out from the others. It has an excellent focuser, is very resistant to glare and other difficult lighting conditions (which is an under-appreciated real world characteristic), and has a wide enough field but with no annoying panning behaviour. If you don't get the eye position exactly right you can get a little CA off axis but it rarely intrudes and I am someone who is quite sensitive to it.

Be aware that all roof prism binoculars produce CA to some extent, including all the others mentioned here. This is sometimes forgotten. My Meopta Meostar HD is the best I have ever seen on this, the Zeiss HT 10x42 I used to have was also very good, and Kowa binoculars have an excellent reputation but I have never used one.

I have not looked through the Vortex.

The EL and NL are both excellent in their own ways, especially if you want a very wide FOV. For my taste they are a little blue- or cool-toned compared to reality, and rather susceptible to glare. Some do not like the panning behaviour either, especially in the EL. The NL focuser is excellent, the EL not so much. Be careful with the armouring! There have been some serious problems with it peeling off and it apparently has not been completely solved yet.

The SF is great to handle (focuser, lightness, balance) and has a wide FOV. To my eyes though, the contrast and overall image quality is lacking somewhat compared to the other 'alphas' and I still see a greenish hue in the latest version i.e. not enough red or blue in the image. Some people love it though. I prefer the image through their previous top model the HT, as I think the contrast, colour representation and sharpness are all superior.

apuapu25
"Hello everybody. I use a Noctivid 8 X 42 for 16 months. To my eyes, I have a lot of CA. A French commercial director writes that CA is the against part of shine... Noctivid have lots of qualities: nice view, high contrast, good low light performances, ergonomics to my hands and high quality of manufacture. But I can't bare CA, and I think I am going to sell them. I am happier with my Trinovid 10 X 42 BA from the 90s! No CA to my eyes with those. Perhaps I am going to buy Zeiss with AK. "

Pierrot_lunaire
"Having used the Noctivid 8x42 for about 8 months, I would say that it has wonderful optics, but also a very significant issue with CA. This is evident in a surprisingly wide range of conditions, sometimes intrusively, even close to the center of the image. For those sensitive to CA (even moderately), I would advise trying out the Noctivid in a variety of situations prior to purchase. There is something unique and rather special about the way in which Noctivid renders images, and if CA does not really affect you, it is one of the finest choices available. For me personally, I am currently looking for an alternative option with better control of CA."

apuapu25
"To my eyes, Noctivid 8X have a lot more CA than the Ultravid and Trinovid BA and BN. The 50 are free of CA. Could this CA technically come from the wide exit pupil of the Noctivid? Thanks."

Andreas
"The Noctivids simply have a little more CA than comparable premium binoculars, but that has nothing to do with the center sharpness! The 10x is IMO noticeably more susceptible, in fact I find it a bit too high with this glass and the price range, and then there is the distortion that sets in very early, overall the 8x IMO is the better glass. With the 8x, I can already see slight CA in the middle with hard contrasts, but it's not disturbing for me yet. Of course, the perception of CA is always a subjective thing, but I know few people who would really say that the Noctivids are among the best in this discipline. Something is always, no binoculars are perfect. IMO you should also assess the overall performance of binoculars, including the housing, the mechanics, the viewing behavior and the optical properties and all in all the 8x Noctivids in particular are very good glasses."

Last edited:

apuapu25
"Hello everybody. I use a Noctivid 8 X 42 for 16 months. To my eyes, I have a lot of CA. A French commercial director writes that CA is the against part of shine... Noctivid have lots of qualities: nice view, high contrast, good low light performances, ergonomics to my hands and high quality of manufacture. But I can't bare CA, and I think I am going to sell them. I am happier with my Trinovid 10 X 42 BA from the 90s! No CA to my eyes with those. Perhaps I am going to buy Zeiss with AK. "

Pierrot_lunaire
"Having used the Noctivid 8x42 for about 8 months, I would say that it has wonderful optics, but also a very significant issue with CA. This is evident in a surprisingly wide range of conditions, sometimes intrusively, even close to the center of the image. For those sensitive to CA (even moderately), I would advise trying out the Noctivid in a variety of situations prior to purchase. There is something unique and rather special about the way in which Noctivid renders images, and if CA does not really affect you, it is one of the finest choices available. For me personally, I am currently looking for an alternative option with better control of CA."

apuapu25
"To my eyes, Noctivid 8X have a lot more CA than the Ultravid and Trinovid BA and BN. The 50 are free of CA. Could this CA technically come from the wide exit pupil of the Noctivid? Thanks."

We can all quote from the many different opinions about different binoculars here, both in favour of the Noctivid (of which there are many with people saying 'it is the best they have ever used' or 'their personal favourite') and against the SF (of which there are also many with people talking about the 'green ham' colour balance, the unsettling moustache distortion on the 8x in particular, or the 'blue circle of death' glare issue). I'm not sure what that is meant to prove? And why would anyone bother?

We were asked for our personal opinion and that is what I have done. Personal experience also tells me that incorrect eye position makes the CA worse on the NV, so perhaps some people don't bother with getting the IPD and ER just right before they decide? I don't know. It does seem more sensitive to eye position than some other 8x42s I have used.

Lol but agree with jgraider on both points. Also there is quite a big spread in price point between the Vortex and NL Pures. So you’re comparing apples to oranges. All the more reason to check them out yourself and hopefully side by side. You may find out there’s not enough difference to your eyes to justify spending double. Or just the opposite. Good luck.

The only solution is to try them by actually looking through one.

You can read spec sheets and contradictory opinions here, until your eyeballs fall out, and you still won’t know which one you will like.

Of the ones you mention, Vortex are the outliers

Last edited:
Lol but agree with jgraider on both points. Also there is quite a big spread in price point between the Vortex and NL Pures. So you’re comparing apples to oranges. All the more reason to check them out yourself and hopefully side by side. You may find out there’s not enough difference to your eyes to justify spending double. Or just the opposite. Good luck.
The only apples to oranges is in the price.
Optically those Vortex's are right up there, with a stellar guarantee.

1. Vortex UHD 8x42
The brightest of the bunch, very close optically to the others, the least expensive, solid build.
  1. Swarovski 8.5x42 NL or EL
EL, NL about as good as it gets optically. Both similar image quality, with NL larger FOV, better focuser and some say better ergonomics (that’s subjective). Some say better panning characteristic, if you notice that sort of thing.
  1. Zeiss Victory SF 8x42
On par with EL, with bigger FOV, maybe the best focuser and ergos on the market.
  1. Leica Noctivid 8x42
The most beautiful image , lots of color saturation. Build quality second to none.
Best optical and build for the buck, buy my Vortex, save $1000-$2000 🤣🙏🏼.

Paul

Best value are the Vortex binoculars which have a lifetime warranty. I have bought several in addition to binoculars including 4 from Swarovski and 7 from other manufacturers. I have tried binoculars that looked good on paper and had excellent reviews but were not a good fit for my hands and eyes. One pair of Zeiss had a lack of clarity at the edges of the field of view that might not show up in the specifications but were apparent and bothersome to my eyes.

My most recent Vortex purchase was their 12x50 Razor HD ones. I tried the UHD version that cost twice as much and the difference was only discernible with strongly backlit subjects which is a situation I avoid in the field.

I live in the USA and so I could buy binoculars from B&H and use them for a couple days and then return them for full credit. A second option would be to go on as many birder outings as possible and check out the binoculars of others. I have never been refused when asking to try another person's binoculars.

The brightest of the bunch, very close optically to the others, the least expensive, solid build.

EL, NL about as good as it gets optically. Both similar image quality, with NL larger FOV, better focuser and some say better ergonomics (that’s subjective). Some say better panning characteristic, if you notice that sort of thing.

On par with EL, with bigger FOV, maybe the best focuser and ergos on the market.

The most beautiful image , lots of color saturation. Build quality second to none.

Best optical and build for the buck, buy my Vortex, save $1000-$2000 🤣🙏🏼.

Paul
Paul, why are you selling them??

Paul, why are you selling them??
Hi RG,

I have so many 8’s that I seem to grab more often. I mainly bought these for the AK prisms for low light observing, but I already have a dedicated low light bin in the 7x42 Habicht’s. I was very pleasantly surprised in the optics bump from the HD line. I’m also thinning out the herd a bit. I have a few others going up for sale , EL12x, Bushnell Rangmaster SWF , and a few others others I’m considering.

Paul

The only solution is to try them by actually looking through one.

You can read spec sheets, and contradictory opinions here, until your eyeballs fall out, and you still won’t know which one you will like.

Of the ones you mention, Vortex are the outliers
Why Vortex are the outliers? Why all 3 doesn't provide me with lifetime warranty like Vortex? They cost 500-1000$ more...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back