• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex vs Swarovski vs Zeiss vs Leika bins (~8x42) (1 Viewer)

The Noctivid is of course as fantastic as you'd expect from Leica's top-of-the-range model. However, the Ultravid is is lighter in weight, more compact, and costs less β€” so it could also be worth considering. πŸ™‚

Understood. I didn't realise the size and weight benefits. The price difference doesn't seem like much in the UK, especially with discounts.

The Ultravid is always worth a thought, it's an absolute classic, and regardless of price, if it works for you, I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with it.
Even the CA is not as bad as people would lead you to believe.... it really isn't !!
Leica arent going to put out a Β£2k bino with bad CA. It just may not be class leading in that dept, but in others it is. Best build ever.... maybeπŸ’β€β™‚οΈ

Always worth a look those Ultras(y)

For sure!

Meopta is the real deal; their stuff never fails to offer excellent value for money in my experience. I tend to respect true manufacturers that produce their own stuff more than brands that put their logo on outsourced production β€” and Meopta has been making optics in its own facilities since the 1930s, so I thought that might be worth noting. πŸ™‚

The OP has already suggested the Noctivid in 8x as one of his options. I would assume (having not compared them side-by-side) that this would at least equal, or probably improve upon, the Ultravid in terms of image quality, or is it being suggested because of the slightly lower price?
The Noctivid definitely has better image quality and a bigger FOV than the UVHD but the UVHD is smaller, lighter and less expensive. The Noctivid is Leica's best binocular.

Those SLC's have just had a price drop.
Great chance going there.....
Here is a brand-new pair of Swarovski WB HD 8x42's for $1350 or BO. You could probably get them for $1300. They are pretty much the same as the SLC 8x42.

Last edited:
There are tons of posts here about all these models, these brands, and you will never find unanimity... all you will get is dozens of different answers which will not enlighten you much more !
Really, the best thing is to try it for yourself, Steve !
My personal choice here : NL's 8x42.
Why ?... because they are beasts from out of space !!! πŸ€ͺ

View attachment 1542083
So, you’re the person from YouTube, right? I’ve watched your videos and enjoyed them. I’m considering following your advice. I’ve experimented with 8x, 10x, and 12x, all 42, and found that 8 and 10 are quite similar. What’s your expert recommendation?

From my personal experience, I’m leaning towards the 10’s, but I’m eager to hear your professional insight. :)

The Vortex Razor HD is selling at B&H for $800 as compared the Razo UHD that they are selling for $1300. I bought both versions of the Vortex 12x50 binoculars and it was difficult for me to see any gain with the UHD version. I kept the Razor HD for that reason and returned the UHD ones.

With my Swarovski binoculars I choose primarily on the form factor and eye relief provided. I have their 10x25 and 10x32 binoculars as I prefer their smaller binoculars to the ones I have used from Leica and Zeiss when I was shopping for new ones at the time.

That’s very interesting, it just goes to show the differences that people see. I tried the razor HD’s and UHD’s in both 8x and 10x42, as well as the Viper HD’s. I felt the Viper HD was closer to the Razor HD’s than the the razor HD was to the UHD, imo (happy Scottie πŸ€ͺ). I did not try the 12x50’s which maybe much different.

Paul

SLCs are also high-quality. In general, I think people often over-emphasize the importance of technical specifications, and underappropriate some of the intangibles such as fit, feel and finish.
Again, using words. Are fit, feel and finish intangibles? I don't believe they are.

So, you’re the person from YouTube, right? I’ve watched your videos and enjoyed them. I’m considering following your advice. I’ve experimented with 8x, 10x, and 12x, all 42, and found that 8 and 10 are quite similar. What’s your expert recommendation?

From my personal experience, I’m leaning towards the 10’s, but I’m eager to hear your professional insight. :)
'llo Steve. Sorry for not responding sooner but it was impossible for me.
Your post makes me smile, lol ! No no, I'm not Ethan (Optica Exotica) at all, whose YT reviews and personality I also really liked, and which I really regret !
As most here in the 'binoculars' section know him, I was just making this quick humorous illustration to emphasize my point about NL's, and I'm sure it would make him smile. πŸ˜‰

But again, I'm not Ethan, so I'd be careful not to give you any expert recommendation. I really appreciate the NL's 10x32 as you will have noted, and I'm not the only one here, but it's a very personal choice, and it's up to you to test what suits you.

Optica Exotica also speaks highly of NL's, but in its last reviews, he describes, if I remember correctly, what would be its ultimate choice in terms of binoculars : Leica Noctivid 10x, and Swarovski SLC 15x.

My pleasure, Steve.

Short list:
Noctivid 10x42
NL Pure 10x42

Still need to check Leica. NL Pure are really great.
Any suggestions? From your professional personal experience. I am going to check Noctivid personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back