• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Deanna D Northern Studio (1 Viewer)

or if I would simply be in the same boat trying to find locations to display my work and push it personally - just with alot less $ in the bank.. and a few years behind..

:S

this is exactly where you'd be, but if you have a degree, you can sometimes teach or open other doors for livelihood that you cannot do without one.

I found being a waitress a good job for an artist, even with my degree, as it's over when you leave, as opposed to an office job.

Suvi,

Never had any art training. But most of my life have earnt a living from what I do.

It's up to you. Ultimately.

Follow your Heart...

Colleen - That is what I like about what I am doing now.. after I leave.. Im done I dont need to bring it home with me..and it leaves me the time to paint :)

Phil - That is great to know! -I hear from so many people that you cant do it.. Good to know I can... I think ill be sticking it out with what my gut tells me and do things my own way :)

Thanks so much!

Hi Phil,

BC is doing good! haha, Ive been very busy for the last little while trying to get set for winter, bringing load after load of firewood in... just brought two more loads in, over stackd one truck and lost half the load on the highway (rural highway though so like 3 cars went by lol) so scrambled to get it all back on the truck, Ive been making time for painting, I will post my latests 2, I have one more on the go but havnt had much time to work on it, right now im busy trying to relaxe from getting wood enjoying a nice glass of wine haha :D

Painting 1 is on antler,

Im trying to load a couple others that Ive done but they are too big.. ?? hmm will try to resize and load :)

Let me know what you think

:smoke:

Attachments

• DS'_Moose.JPG
    DS'_Moose.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 37
Ok..both are acrylic, first one is 9x12 red neck gerbe, the second is crane, and i cant remeber the demesions... :(

Attachments

• rsz_gerbe.jpg
    rsz_gerbe.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 47
  • rsz_crane.jpg
    rsz_crane.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 40
I especially like the Grebe Suvi. Strong composition and colors. It's a nice bold painting.

I'm exhausted from tilling two little 4x8 foot raised beds in our garden yesterday. I can only imagine what I'd feel like after all your firewood work. I used to get my own in Kentucky many years ago though and it does bring back fond memories, as well as sore muscles.

Thanks Solitary! - I was pretty happy with that one too... :) Ive been gettng some help from anothr artsts around town here and she has been very helpful getting me to understand someof the basics a bit more :D

Body is defintally a bit sore...but better suck it up quick its not raining or snowing so back at er today!

I have woodstove only heat so I do the firewood thing too, but not as severe as where you are....elegant crane and choice of colors.

Nice pieces, Suvi! My favorite is the grebe. My back hurts just thinking about loading and unloading a pickup truck full of firewood - did that some years ago.

the second is crane, and i cant remeber the demesions... :(

It so often boils down to personal taste and for me, the Crane is one of the most exiting and enjoyable paintings I've seen for a long time. The complementary colours, the composition and the broad painterly brush strokes working through the whole painting just all pulls together to produce a really lovely piece of work oozing with originality. (Don't sell it! Hang it on your wall for inspiration!!!! ;)

Ps. The grebe is also a really fine piece of work and shows an increasing level of maturity with your artistic talents.

KEEP IT UP :t:

Last edited:
Thank you everyone!

Nick, Colleen & Deborah - Thanks for the great comments on the crane, I had ben stuggling a bit with a different painting (now buried under 2 coats of gesso) and needed to let loose I was pretty happy with how this one turned out!

JTMB - Thank you!.. my back hurts too :( lol!

The Grebe was a much more controlled painting than I am used to, Ive been struggling with value and light...I had alot of helpwith my moose and watched a couple videos then the Grebe appeared!, this is #2 for this duck and looking between the two I can see the improvement... I know paintings change and evolve as we learn and grow.. but i remeber being very happy with my last one..looking at it now.. hmm lol...

Thanks again for the great comments, they mean alot to me, I feel like im begining to 'make it' ..or something lol..

B :)

Hi Suvi!

Glad you got your wood in!

Spent a lot of time in Poland getting the Winter-Wood!

Love the new work! Fantastic new stuff!

In Poland Moose is Los. Pronounced "Wosh."

Very great to have you back! The RN Grebe is my favourite!

Keep warm, and let us know how it is all coming along! :cat:

Thanks for the reminder Phil! - almost have the wood in, few more loads should have it! Everyone is calling for a long cold winter so we are trying to be prepared, nothng is worse that going out in 3ft of snow! have approx 18 loads in and probably gunna bring in few more.... (will be booking an accupressure appt after the last load!)

I am glad you like the new work! I hope to be able to spend some more time painting real soon, But ahh its nice and warm in here right now :D

Time to go and catch up on everyone else's threads!

Ahaha - Will try!

Hunting this weekend :t: hopfully get some inspiration... the painting im working on now is fighting me tooth and nail! :(

Ahaha - Will try!

Hunting this weekend :t: hopfully get some inspiration... the painting im working on now is fighting me tooth and nail! :(
. . . they're the best kind, Deanna! Then you know you'll have accomplished something when it finally capitulates, rolls over and lets you tickle its tummy.
Big shout for the latest pieces - you're moving on a pace now - keep it up.

Thanks Tim!

Had great day out hunting, got a bull and havea great idea for a painting, seen a cow and calf standing in the mist... amazing.. :)

Will sketch it out and hopfully paint it soon :D

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back