• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Premier or Premier LX-L? What's what??? (1 Viewer)

308CAL

the Nikon Pemier that Eagle optics is selling new in the box are called just the "premier."

Not the Premier LX-L. IS there any difference?

Are Nikon Premier's Considered ALPHA's?

You can usually get the Nikon part number and look it up to determine what it is. Most likely LX-L. There was an LX, then an LX-L. I'm not sure of all the diffs. Then there's HG across the pond, to add to the confusion. Do you have a link?

The compacts (8x20 and 10x25) are absolutely alpha quality. The bigger ones reputedly have noticeable CA which at this point in time is not as competitive, even if they were top quality at time of release. Did you see the thread about 10x32 and 8x32 EDGs being sold with a DSLR?

I have HG/LX version in 8x32 and the only problems I have with them are CA and stiff focus in really cold weather. I do not use mine in the winter. Otherwise great glass. I have read many comments saying the LX veiw is better than the LX-L, which is why I looked for the LX originally. In x42 the weight difference is significant as I remember, if that matters. The LX-L lightened the housing and made some changes to the glass, I think it was their first "eco-glass." If you do a search here you will find discussion of those differences.

It should be the LXL model from Eagle Optics website ;)

Yes, the LXL and the "Premier" are the same thing. Nikon just decided to change what they were calling that model. I think this might just be a North American thing. As far as I know, there were only 2 versions of this line: the Venturer LX (heavy) and the re-introduced model, the LXL which is now called the Premier.

Cheers,

Ben

Ben Lizdas
Sales Manager
Eagle Optics
www.eagleoptics.com

Hey, "...he ain't HEAVY, he's my binocular! If I'm leaning at all, I'm leaning with sadness, that everyone's heart isn't filled with the gladness of love, for a Nikon HG... and the load (lead-glass) doesn't weigh me down at all..."

Based on the weight listed for the bins at the Eagle Optics link listed above the bins listed are the HGL or LXL. (Same thing just different name for different continents) 28 oz was the weight for the LXL. The original LX/HG/Venturers was closer to 36 ozs if memory serves me.

To my eyes the original LX/HG/Venturers displayed less CA than the Eco-glass friendly, lighter weight LXLs. There was some discussion as to whether or not this was because of the lead-free, eco glass but, in my opinion, the discussions were not decisive.

I did see the older model Nikons for $600 or so in the last year. The newer ones have been on sale for closer to $1000 recently but originally went for $1200 or so.

Based on the weight listed for the bins at the Eagle Optics link listed above the bins listed are the HGL or LXL. (Same thing just different name for different continents) 28 oz was the weight for the LXL. The original LX/HG/Venturers was closer to 36 ozs if memory serves me.

To my eyes the original LX/HG/Venturers displayed less CA than the Eco-glass friendly, lighter weight LXLs. There was some discussion as to whether or not this was because of the lead-free, eco glass but, in my opinion, the discussions were not decisive.

I did see the older model Nikons for $600 or so in the last year. The newer ones have been on sale for closer to $1000 recently but originally went for $1200 or so.

Thanks for info Frank :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back