• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Excellent Nikon USA Factory Service (1 Viewer)

Ruff-Leg

United States
Many on this site have thrashed Nikon factory service - I have been among them. I think it only fitting that excellent service be called out as well.

Several years ago, I sent in my 1995 10x42 SE Premier bins for service, and since Nikon USA couldn't source the parts, they replaced them with 10x42 MHGs. I could just never warm up to those bins, but after fidgeting with the IPD and diopter, they worked well enough for me. Other issues cropped up - a wandering diopter, detaching armor, diopter settings that needed to re-set at different distances (collimation?) - so I sent them to the California factory center for service.

Ten days later, I received them back, better than new! I finally understand why the MHG is as highly regarded as it is.

So, big shout out to Nikon USA service!

Ruff-leg

Can I ask, what was the problem you had with the SE 10X42?
Yeah, it was about five years ago and I sent my 8x32 SE in for eyecup replacement. Success! So, in went the 10x42 SE, and I guess I had gotten the last set of eyecups at the LA facility, because Nikon sent me the new MHG. Just for an eyecup...

(I recently had a broken eyecup on the sole eyepiece for my 2004 ED Fieldscope 82, and Nikon sent me a completely new Monarch Fieldscope!)

I've written about the SE disappointment here on BF, and other problems with Nikon service. However, as I said, given all the negative reporting from me and others, I just wanted to mention a positive experience with the MHG service.

R-L

So it was just the eye cup that was wrong with the 10X42, otherwise from an optical perspective it was working fine?.
Nikon is very good at service of the newer glass currently in production, I have had excellent service. However their business model is not to maintain the older glass which was built to a very high standard - I have not needed any service on the older roofs, however my SEs were serviced by Suddarth Optical, (I also saved some eye cups over the years). The older glass is still very good today.
I have the HG Monarch in 8X42 and will eventually get an HG in 10X42, but need to sell a few before then.

Many on this site have thrashed Nikon factory service - I have been among them. I think it only fitting that excellent service be called out as well.

Several years ago, I sent in my 1995 10x42 SE Premier bins for service, and since Nikon USA couldn't source the parts, they replaced them with 10x42 MHGs. I could just never warm up to those bins, but after fidgeting with the IPD and diopter, they worked well enough for me. Other issues cropped up - a wandering diopter, detaching armor, diopter settings that needed to re-set at different distances (collimation?) - so I sent them to the California factory center for service.

Ten days later, I received them back, better than new! I finally understand why the MHG is as highly regarded as it is.

So, big shout out to Nikon USA service!

Ruff-leg
I’m glad you are pleased with your recent Nikon service, but going back to your SEs, I would be furious if they just traded out my trusty old SEs for another bin. I would understand if they returned your SEs along with a new MHG, but to just keep your SEs is unacceptable.

I’m glad you are pleased with your recent Nikon service, but going back to your SEs, I would be furious if they just traded out my trusty old SEs for another bin. I would understand if they returned your SEs along with a new MHG, but to just keep your SEs is unacceptable.
Which manufacturer do so: return the defect binocular and send a new one as compensation?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back