• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HD Camcorder for videoscoping (1 Viewer)

From what I can see, anytime one does videoscoping, the panning tends to be jerky movements because of the long focal length combination. I would imagine that a smooth panning video tripod head would correct some of this.

I'm trying to find a new camcorder for 'videoscoping" At the moment I have a Panasonic NV-GS44 which has served me pretty well, but is on it's last legs. It's obviously a MiniDV tape camcorder.
I'm finding it really difficult to find a suitable replacement. I have been looking at the Panasonic HCD-SD9. It is a so called "High Definition" model and records to an SD card. It's 10x optical zoom, so that's fine. What I'm unsure about it the HD bit.
Does anybody know if these type of camcorders produce a 'better' image. ie: am I really likely to get improved footage? Also I like to take 'grabs' and wonder if the HD models will produce better quality?
If anybody has experience with this, or similar models I would be grateful.
Thanks.
PS I note there is a similar post below and am just trying to generate a few more replies on the subject.

Nick,

What Camcorder did you end up getting, and does it do everything you required esp videograbs to a memory stick/card? - I too am looking to replace my Camcorder, an old Sony PC-110.

Cheers,

Bill.

Yeah, that's because I touched the camera when zooming. I'm thinking of using the remote in the future to minimize the contact.

Here is my most recent HD videoscope where I made sure not to touch the scope, camera, and tripod:

http://www.vimeo.com/7093534

the picture quality is superb, Can (at least on my little macbook screen) :t:

btw, on Can's advice I ended up getting a Panasonic SD100 and am very happy with the results. Check out this post, if you want to see the benefits and potential of videoscoping or digiscoping. The video is from the steppes of Kazakhstan.

Happy birding,
Dale

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back