• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Highlands and Islands Thread (6 Viewers)

Nice walk East Drummochter despite the wind and occasional showers. Started at Balsporran Cottage and climbed east toward A'Bhuidheanach, then down by quarry to A9 and along cycleway back. Had 17 Golden Plover, 5 Dunlin - one came to my foot, Raven, Ring Ouzel, Stonechat, Red Grouse with fledged young and an Oystercatcher chasing a Merlin.

Anagach Woods

Had a 2 hour walk through Anagach Woods (near Grantown on Spey) yesterday but only had Common Buzzard,Coal Tit,Siskin and Chaffinch,to name but a few for my efforts.

No Cresties/Crossbills and although I wasnt expecting any,no Capers despite all the signs telling you about them in the woods.I know this is not the greatest of times to go looking for woodland species but the place seemed devoid of birdlife.

Hope this was down to bad luck,rather than the bad winter perhaps taking its toll.on our smaller birds.

I was at Culbin yesterday. At least five different pairs of Crested Tit, three in family parties, including a pair drinking at the dragonfly pools.

Plenty of long tailed tits, which did suffer during the winter, suggests a few good brood could help them bounce back.

No Cresties/Crossbills and although I wasnt expecting any,no Capers despite all the signs telling you about them in the woods.I know this is not the greatest of times to go looking for woodland species but the place seemed devoid of birdlife.

Hope this was down to bad luck,rather than the bad winter perhaps taking its toll.on our smaller birds.

I had the same experience about this time last year, so I don't think it's anything unusual. In 3 days of looking, starting before 6am, I never saw one crestie.:-C

A volunteer at an RSPB reserve once mentioned to me that 'It's not where or when you go, it's how you look for them', but was then called away by other visitors and never explained. Does anyone know how once can go about looking for cresties in early July and meet with success? Or recommend any reliable sites at this unproductive time of year? (I'm heading back to Speyside in 4 days).

I'd also like to sort out some embarrassing holes in my year list. Can anyone recommend a source of Ring Ouzel (layby 151 and Findhorn drew a blank for me last year) and a reliable, easy site to get rid of those two major embarrassing holes Whinchat and Spotted Fly? Advice on finding Scottish Crossbills or Capers (ha, ha not likely) at this time of year would also earn undying gratitude.

Alcina, Glen Lethnot in Angus (near Brechin) is a good place for finding Spotted Flycatchers and Whinchat (Spotties throughout, and Whinchat at a couple of points). Also seen Ring Ouzel there on 2 out of 3 visits recently....(both last month but not this past weekend's latest visit).
Good selection of other birds in the glen including redstart, cuckoo and red grouse.

I had the same experience about this time last year, so I don't think it's anything unusual. In 3 days of looking, starting before 6am, I never saw one crestie.:-C

A volunteer at an RSPB reserve once mentioned to me that 'It's not where or when you go, it's how you look for them', but was then called away by other visitors and never explained. Does anyone know how once can go about looking for cresties in early July and meet with success? Or recommend any reliable sites at this unproductive time of year? (I'm heading back to Speyside in 4 days).

I received an email today,from someone living in the Strath,who is something of an authority on Crested Tits.Of 27 nestboxes he put up in prime Crested Tit habitat,not one of them,have been used this year.

I'd also like to sort out some embarrassing holes in my year list. Can anyone recommend a source of Ring Ouzel (layby 151 and Findhorn drew a blank for me last year) and a reliable, easy site to get rid of those two major embarrassing holes Whinchat and Spotted Fly? Advice on finding Scottish Crossbills or Capers (ha, ha not likely) at this time of year would also earn undying gratitude.

The ring ouzels at 151 are still there but they seem to have moved back towards Inverness somewhat so you are faced with the prospect of walking north from the layby behind the crash barrier - not something I would recommend.

The Findhorn Valley is still reliable. From the car park at the end of the road, stand withyour back to the river. 45 degrees to your left is a gully and 45 degrees to your right are a few stunted trees on the hillside. Ouzels favour both these areas. You will probably need a scope. Just keep scanning for movement - there aren't many other birds there - a few mipits or wheatears maybe.

You can also see them at the Cairngorm visitor centre, in the gully behind the VC. Early morning and late evening is best as they disappear as soon as the crowds appear

HTH

Gordon

On hillwalking trips recently, Spotted Flycatchers at Arisaig and 2 pairs at Inverie, Knoydart. Plenty of singing Ring Ouzels in late May / early June in all the high corries eg Fannichs, Ben More/Stob Binnein, Ben Lawers etc. Ptarmigan seen most days while walking, usually high up. Lots of Cuckoos calling, more than in S of England. Woods seem rather birdless though. No Whinchats, only 1 party of Stonechats. Loads of Common Sandpipers on lochs, rivers. No Eagles seen, v few Buzzards compared with S of England. Red Kite and Osprey seem to have increased.

Had two Crossbills in Anagach Woods (Grantown on Spey) this morning.Not sure what species but they were calling loudly.Male was striking in his red colours.Other than that,the woods were quite quiet.

Frost forecast for tonight...that's THE 22nd JULY....apparently it did go down to -3 in Aviemore in July 1977 which makes me feel much better.

Fantastic displays of noctilucent clouds on many nights too recently.....

http://www.spaceweather.com/submiss...me=Alan-C-Tough-900-IMG_0752_2_1279443023.jpg

You know when the birding is quiet when you start looking at clouds instead! Waders seem to be on the move though, heard Godwit sp. heading over towards the Cairngorms late last night and Common Sands are certainly ready for the off. Still have yet to see a Wren or Stonechat locally, but plenty of young birds around in the woods. Though if you go down to the woods today you're in for a big surprise....I hear a large Cat/Panther was seen quite well at Inshriach after it spooked a locals Alsation....."at least the same size" apparently......yikes. :cat:

Last edited:
Frost forecast for tonight...that's THE 22nd JULY....apparently it did go down to -3 in Aviemore in July 1977 which makes me feel much better.

Still have yet to see a Wren or Stonechat locally, but plenty of young birds around in the woods.

Seen and heard a few Wrens and also watched a Stonechat in Anagach last Sunday John.

The Otter family - mother and two cubs - were at North Kessock today. Showing well.

Hi Marcus , we have a caravan near North kessock and have looked for the otters on a number of occasions but without success . Did you see them under the Kessock Bridge or were they nearer to the slipway by the post office ?

Had a trip up to Speyside area on Friday, in the hope of adding Crested Tits and Scottish Crossbills to my year list. Unfortunately we failed to do so....so it will need another trip up later in the year.
Still a worthwhile trip though. First stop was at Loch Pityoulish, where a couple of Tree Pipits perched on the overhead wires for a minute or two. From there we headed to Garten Woods. Willow Warbler and Coal Tit were all we had to show for the stop though.
Drove round to the Osprey Centre. Saw the Ospreys plus a Sparrowhawk. Siskins and Greenfinch on the feeders but no Cresties. Bought a copy of the Best Birdwatching Sites In The Scottish Highlands which will come in handy next time.
FRom there we headed to the Upper Findhorn Valley. No Golden Eagles, only 1 Buzzard, 2 Peregrines and 3 Kestrels on the raptor front. Dipper, Chiffchaff, Wheatear, Mistle Thrush and Raven were the additions there.
Browsing through the book we decided to attempt the Farr road in the hope of Short Eared Owl, but all we saw were a group of 8 Red Grouse at the side of the road allowing us very close views (we stopped the car right next to them and they weighed up whether we were a threat or not for a minute or so, while I snapped away, before they scooted off into the heather).
Headed along to Loch Ruthven after that where we found 5 Slavonian Grebes, 1 Little Grebe, a Red Throated Diver and my first Speckled Wood butterfly.
Headed for home after that. An enjoyable day out still.

Hi Marcus , we have a caravan near North kessock and have looked for the otters on a number of occasions but without success . Did you see them under the Kessock Bridge or were they nearer to the slipway by the post office ?

Three otters again this morning at South Kessock frolicking on the shore, also two Dolphins and a Great Northern Diver (first one I have had in the area).

Otters normally on the south side at Carnac Point http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1844551 but that's where I go looking...

They can easily be seen from both sides when they are in the water.

Just added Osprey to the garden list flying over towards the Ness, thought I would have had one before now.

Out of interest has anyone had a Goldie a Findhorn in the past months - I've not had one since winter and I do that route a fair bit. Had more success north of Inverness.

Also last week had over 100 Dark Green Frits up Strathcanon way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back