• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Highlands and Islands Thread (5 Viewers)

Efterne'en a'body 👋 Been up to Ardersier again this weekend, out for a walk n look on Saturday evening, blowing a half hoollie and a bit dark but, I'm guessing there's been a bigger hoollie blowing recently, I came a cross a we knackered looking Cormorant Shag up against the Fort walls, :eek: it looked a bit perturbed when I got close but never moved. I did see it fly to the water later and swim away but there were also 3/4 other dead Cormorant scattered around. I'm guessing they were caught in a storm based on the state of the rocky shore and some of the HUGE concrete slabs from the old slipway.
20231216_151327.jpg 20231216_151342.jpg 20231216_151354.jpg 20231217_073811.jpg 20231216_151423.jpg

Excuse the phone phots.

I also saw quite a few Rock Pipit and a couple were flying at me and quite vocal, they were perching on crevices in the Fort walls, nesting in there?
I had been logging the birds but it was V windy and raining and I lost the last dammit :(

I went out again Sunday morning, slightly less blowy and a bit drier, the tide was turning out as well so I could take more time and walk right round. Saw a LOT of Eider, I was logging the numbers passing, then spotted a large raft of them out in mid-channel. Didn't see much exciting although 3 or 4 Long-tailed Ducks were fishing just offshore along the back, quiet area.
20231217 - Long-Tailed male.jpg

Not easy focussing with a long lens in high winds so I was happy with the duck shot. That was about it for the day apart from the usual suspects but, on the drive back down we took the Moulin road from Pitlochry towards Blairgowrie and there was a Grey heron strolling down the pavement / sidewalk! Never saw that before! :oops::ROFLMAO: There was a wee Burn running alongside the path so I guess it was following that.
That duck looks quite good in snow :ROFLMAO:(y)

Last edited:
Back in Ardersier for the first time in 2024 and went for a walk along the shore on Friday evening, a good flock of Wigeon were seen on the village shore, the usual Jackdaws lurking on the rooftops and a good few gulls out on or over the shore, looked like Black-headed, Common and Herring. Didn't see any Hooded Crows but a few Carrion were scouting along the shore. Did see a male Red-breasted Merganser swimming towards the shore and when I got closer, it had pulled out onto the pebbles and was just sitting there, allowing me to get way too close, I guessed all was not well. Hope these birds aren't succumbing to bird flu.

20231118 - Passing Eider.jpg
20231118 - Passing Eider (1).jpg
Wandered on along the shore spotting a few Curlew & Oystercatchers along the way then turned into the 'green roadie' for the loop back. Didn't see much in there at all it was getting darker but got a Mistle Thrush on the edge of the village. There's a large Holly Bush in the garden next door that appears to be home to a large group of House Sparrow who were in the throes of a family feud by the noise they were making. 😳
So, Saturday morning and up and out to the Fort. It was absolutely freezing so I went widdershins 😉 down to the back shore first, then round as the tide retreated. First sight was a couple of gulls, firstborn  many but swimming by them was a female Long-tailed duck, my first of the year. The back shore was really quiet, plenty Oystercatchers but only a couple of Cormorant and ond Shag that I saw. I started seeing ones then small groups of Eider and Long-tails and a couple of Rock Pipit on the shore but, apart from a curious seal that was it.
As I reached the corner I did see a couple of Common Guillemot and at least one Black Guillemot, I was certain of the black, it had a very white head and what looked like a dark eye mask?
A group of five female Red-breasted Merganser flew by, followed by a solitary male who then shore hopped ahead of me for a while.
At the point I came upon a male Long-tailed duck sitting on the rocks looking in a bad way sadly. I've reported both injured birds.
20231118 - Passing Eider (2).jpg

Sad to see but there were very few others around, of any species. More Oystercatchers and several passing groups of Curlew ended my walk with three Redshank almost unseen among the Oystercatchers. Nothing much else to report so I'm heading out for this mornings expedition.
One last thing for those who may be able to I'd them.
20240106_094056.jpg20240106_102005.jpg

Anyone know what these may be from? The first is three times the length of my phone. Porpoise? Dolphin?

Last edited:
A doze of waders?
Took my usual wander around Fort George shore this morning and, luckily, before I took stomp and stumble everything awake, something caught my eye on the shingle. I was quite excited for a wee while, everything had this golden tinge but, well, decide for yourselves. Very chuffed to come across this lot dozing together and catch them flying off, photos later.
A stitched panorama of them all, that I could see, I have the individual images, just in case. Godwit, Oystercatchers, Knot??????????20240319 - Snoozing waders at Fort George copy.jpg

A doze of waders?
Took my usual wander around Fort George shore this morning and, luckily, before I took stomp and stumble everything awake, something caught my eye on the shingle. I was quite excited for a wee while, everything had this golden tinge but, well, decide for yourselves. Very chuffed to come across this lot dozing together and catch them flying off, photos later.
A stitched panorama of them all, that I could see, I have the individual images, just in case. Godwit, Oystercatchers, Knot??????????View attachment 1565617
Tentatively, one Curlew Sandpiper just coming into summer plumage, just below the most central Oystercatcher and perhaps a few Dunlin near the front.
MJB

Tentatively, one Curlew Sandpiper just coming into summer plumage, just below the most central Oystercatcher and perhaps a few Dunlin near the front.
MJB
With the coloured breast feathers? I got a LOT of shots when they took off, there were actually three flocks.

20240319 - Dozing waders crop.jpg20240319 - Dozing waders close crop.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back