• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's the commonest UK bird you've not seen (1 Viewer)

markgrubb

Leading a life of quiet desperation
The Roolz-Collins Bird Guide ratings

Being a relative newbie and having rarely strayed from Lothian to see birds in the UK for me it has to be Reed Warbler(B2-but uncommon in Lothian)-over to you

Until recently I suppose it would have been Tawny Owl. Now that I've debogeyed that one I think Ptarmigan (B3) is the nearest candidate. After that, probably Dotterel and Quail.

Mine would be Icterine Warbler, apparently P4, though to be honest those Collins ratings aren't the best. In real terms it's Parrot Crossbill, the only of the regular British breeding sp i'm yet to encounter.

Mine would be Icterine Warbler, apparently P4, though to be honest those Collins ratings aren't the best. In real terms it's Parrot Crossbill, the only of the regular British breeding sp i'm yet to encounter.

I bet this thread will turn into a competition about whose commonest not-seen bird is the rarest. ;)

Until recently I suppose it would have been Tawny Owl. Now that I've debogeyed that one I think Ptarmigan (B3) is the nearest candidate. After that, probably Dotterel and Quail.

Eeuw!! Imagining debogeying a Tawny owl!

Funny you should mention Dotterel HE2: was trying to get to sleep last night (not very successfully) thinking happy thoughts, remembered finding my first Dotterel on Kinder Scout in 1970 (ish) - passage bird - I was but a lad...

PS What's the Roozl-Collins Bird Guide Ratings please?!
Or even Roolz-Collins!

Last edited:
No idea about rarity, but I guess these shouldn't be that hard:
Bewick's Swan, Greater White-fronted Goose (I have seen Greenland WF), Willow Tit, Pied Flycatcher, Common Crossbill (I have seen Scottish), Marsh Harrier, Manx Shearwater.
Locally, I should have seen Grasshopper Warbler and possibly Nightingale (latter not easy in July...).

Commonest bird I haven't seen in the Netherlands must be Puffin (usually requires sea-watching in the north, which I have done only once – and then I missed one flying by!)

Well I was only in London for several hours on a layover on a trip to Kenya. But I did manage to miss the Great Spotted Woodpecker which should have been (and probably was!) at Barnes WWT.

Seems to be the following for me:

Cirl Bunting rB4
Scottish Crossbill rB4
Quail mB4
Corncrake mB4-5

I've heard lots of the latter two, the second used to be on my list (I'll try and get it back over the next year or two!) and I've seen loads of the first abroad. The one that actually bothers me is Sabine's Gull P5, because I've never seen one anywhere.

Surely it's all a matter of where you live.;) Others have said little owl, willow tit, great spotted wp, marsh harrier, crossbill, tawny owl.....easy peasy for me (well perhaps not willow tit) but I'm missing pied fly catcher and whooper swan.

Joanne

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back