• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Death Of The Alpha? (2 Viewers)

Hmm...when I see David Attenborough gazing at bonobos through a Tract binocular I'll be convinced :t:

Have you tried the Tekoa line?
I don't need celebrity endorsement anymore to convince me what binocular to buy. I haven't tried the Tekoa line but the specifications look pretty good. Tract gives you a lot of value for the money so I am sure the Tekoa's would follow suit.

Dennis, the 10x42 Tract certainly is closer to the mark AFov wise. I would like to see one, however, a couple of folk on the Tract thread who have seen both 8x and 10x say that the 10x is not as impressive. It's a lot harder to make a 10x than an 8x - things go to p** more rapidly at sub-Alpha level. I won't be in the market for a 10x42 for a few decades yet, preferring a bigger EP which I utilize even in daylight at this stage.

That Outdoor Life test was a bit amateurish - there was too many different formats and magnifications to give meaningful results - I guess HunTers aren't as discerning as birders. One guy said he thought the Tract cost a few hundred dollars more - that would still put it at the performance level of under a grand = mid tier. Also the range of quality bins in that test was limited, with the Leica Trinovid being the highest level there - not the Ultravid.

I've always been underwhelmed by the Conquest HD - I wouldn't even swap my Zen for one. The first time I ever looked through one was as the same time I ever looked through a HT for the first time. I couldn't put the Conquest down quickly enough.

You like it (for now) , which is fine, but you should A/B it against the Zeiss 8x42 SF while you still have the chance to get one of the closeout Grey models for ~$1500 - I'm sure the SF would smoke the Toric side by side in 8x. Everybody already knows the end of the story ;)

Chosun :gh:
In the Outdoor Life test they did test the Leica Ultravid HD Plus 8x32 and actually the Tract scored pretty close to it. The Outdoor Life test may appear amateurish in ways but IMO they are right on on their rankings and opinions. Hunters are very discerning. They know if they count the tines or not on their prey. I have tried the Zeiss SF's both the 8x42 and 10x42 and compared them to my SV 10x50. I preferred the SV and them I bought the Maven B.1 9x45 and preferred the Maven over the SV so where does that put the Zeiss SF? My favorite 10x is the Canon 10x42 IS-L. I compared it for a long time to my 10x50 SV and I kept the Canon because with the IS system the resolution is at least 30% higher and the Canon shows less glare than the SV and of course the Canon has a smoother focus. The SV would be good on a tripod but I am not using a tripod birding.

The biggest problems with CJ's posts (and most everyone else on this thread actually) is that, having never seen these "near alphas", he's just guessing. Guesses/opinions are no substitute for experience.

I won`t have that, when it comes to CJ he`s not guessing anything ;)

Good point.

Being an Alpha brand is more than offering the best optics. It is also about providing the best service before and after someone bought a product.

Also I'm with the use of Alpha's I'm confident all the effort is been done to provide me a reliable product.

In the Netherlands there was certain Kamakura OEM brand that got really nice reviews. Until it was getting hot and prisms were getting loose, body armor widened, etc. etc.

Do you want to ruin your nature trip with such kind of tools?
I certainly don't. Do you want to spend thousands on a birding holiday or safari and discover a bin-breakdown on day two?
I really feel the Tract and Maven are built just as well as the alpha's. Jgraider had one in Africa where it is HOT and did not have one problem with it. I have used my Tract and Maven now in all kinds of weather without one problem in Colorado.

Last edited:
As long as I`v been visiting these pages whenever Dennis starts a thread pronouncing this or that binocular as the finest choice available, those binoculars don`t have long left in his stable, he has a good eye, has owned pretty much everything, but is fickle and blows hot and cold, very hard to take a long view about his judgement as that can change as fast as the weather on Dartmoor, and that`s renowned.
My opinions do change when I try new binoculars. The Maven's and Tract's are new on the scene and I am impressed with them so I am voicing my opinion.

The biggest problems with CJ's posts (and most everyone else on this thread actually) is that, having never seen these "near alphas", he's just guessing. Guesses/opinions are no substitute for experience.

That has nothing to do with this thread - it's Dennis pumping [doesn't matter the brand] before the dump. This story has been replicated here about 10 times. All this talk about giving Dennis's opinion his due is silly - it has nothing to do with the binocular in question but everything to do with cashing out successfully.

Exactly. I don't see how people can prejudge a binocular WITHOUT trying it! TRY ONE!

Ok. I did not realize he had owned the Tract and Maven and actually compared them to the alpha stuff. I must have missed his first hand reviews. Got a link?

Check out her profile, CJ`s one of the few ladies who expresses compelling arguments on these pages, I put great store in her opinions and projections.

I haven't read the previous 10 pages of responses, so forgive me if this has already been mentioned.

Zen-Ray Optics was supposed to be the death of the Alphas as well, they amounted to nothing more than the flavor of the month.

Zen-Ray Optics was supposed to be the death of the Alphas as well, they amounted to nothing more than the flavor of the month.

:clap::clap::clap:

Yes, I own one, the 7x36 ED2, and found my purchase was based on hype.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

I'll bet you anything even 1 whole $, that if you put 25 birders who know what there looking for will choose my Noctivids over these Tracts or Mavens, near enough every Serious birder i know uses either Leica, Swaro, Zeiss, cos they want the best image, regardless of cost...maybe lack of other so called "Top Dog" brand advertising has something to do with it, but i can't see Brit birders ditching their Austro-German prizes in the very near future...;)

I haven't read the previous 10 pages of responses, so forgive me if this has already been mentioned.

Zen-Ray shouldn't be used in the same sentence with Tract or Maven. Zen-Rays were junk.

I'll bet you anything even 1 whole $, that if you put 25 birders who know what there looking for will choose my Noctivids over these Tracts or Mavens, near enough every Serious birder i know uses either Leica, Swaro, Zeiss, cos they want the best image, regardless of cost...maybe lack of other so called "Top Dog" brand advertising has something to do with it, but i can't see Brit birders ditching their Austro-German prizes in the very near future...;)
I am not sure they could tell the difference between your Noctivids and the Maven's or Tract's if you covered up the labels. It would be interesting to see if they could. Maybe based on FOV they could but I would bet that would be the only significant difference. Those other birders haven't had a chance to get their hands on a Tract or Maven.

What I'd say, echoing Chosun Juan in part, is that actual experience is of little relevance in the face of specifications.

For those of us (unlike denco) who know what we want, haven't wavered in many years (or even decades) as to what we are looking for, and who have tried and extensively used everything that has been available that approximates something of what we want, bins like those from Tract and Maven just don't seem very interesting.

[Actually, based on specs, we can be confident that they aren't interesting, except perhaps as a new best "budget" option (Though I wonder, have Tract boosters compared them to (a good unit of) the Bushnell 8x42 Legend Ultra HD? It's pretty damn good, and at $180 or so, much cheaper, and with a much larger FOV to boot). For the price these bins command, I'd expect them to be superb. Much pricing is arbitrary, and it's just too easy to remember when the best from Zeiss and Leica cost under $900, and the best from B&L and Nikon was under $600. Sure, a dollar isn't worth as much now, but my salary hasn't even come close to keeping pace with the shift in bino pricing, so for me the comparison is relevant. Still, my obsessive pursuit of the perfect bin has lead me to spend quite a bit on bins over the years, making the lower price of the Tract over the alphas irrelevant in a practical sense.]

For those of us who use alphas like the Swarovski 8.5x42 ELSV, or Zeiss 8x42 SF, or Leica's best, and we think "Hey, pretty good, but not good enough to match what we've been dreaming for all these years", how can the Tracts or Mavens appear to be in the running as alpha killers? To kill the alphas, they would have to be better, yet the alphas themselves haven't reached perfection. I love the 8.5x42 EL because I'd been wanting flat-field wide-field close-focus optics in a solid and ergonomic roof body for a long time. Still, it doesn't have the variable-ratio focus that I want, so I'm still yearning for my definition of perfection. Am I going to dump that awesome even though still flawed bin for one with lower magnification, curved field, narrower FOV, counter-clockwise to infinity focus..... ha! I don't think so. It's taken a long time, but the alpha roofs are finally very close to perfection. I can't go backwards to anything with lesser specs, no matter how cheap it is.

--AP

I am not sure they could tell the difference between your Noctivids and the Maven's or Tract's if you covered up the labels. It would be interesting to see if they could. Maybe based on FOV they could but I would bet that would be the only significant difference. Those other birders haven't had a chance to get their hands on a Tract or Maven.

As journey famously sang, "Don't stop believing
"..;)

committed Leica holic me. 7x42 HD Think I have finely found the view :smoke:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back