• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2016 UK Orchids (1 Viewer)

Would anybody offer an identification on this Dact?
It was growing on a limestone site inland in Wales. A single specimen with only CSO as the other of the genus seen. I have my ideas, but would like uninfluenced opinions please

Steve

Hello Steve,
What about CSO var alpina? - never seen one, but possibly occurs in Wales, has darker flowers and would look slightly different from the other CSOs. Although the individual flowers themselves may be a bit wide on your plant.

I'm still intrigued what you think it might actually be....

Hello Steve,
What about CSO var alpina? - never seen one, but possibly occurs in Wales, has darker flowers and would look slightly different from the other CSOs. Although the individual flowers themselves may be a bit wide on your plant.

I'm still intrigued what you think it might actually be....

An interseting suggestion. I will have to have a look at that.

I was thinking D. p. cambrensis. Seems to fit the desriptions of both Harrap and Bateman, and matches the few online images available too.

Common Spotted & Pyramidal Orchids

I visited a site in Bedfordshire today to see the Common Spotted Orchid var. rhodochila & Pyramidal Orchid var. emarginata

Attachments

• img_3904.jpg
    img_3904.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 118
  • img_3926.jpg
    img_3926.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 102
More nusk^H^H^H^H Noar Musk

Noar Hill absolutely heaving with CSO, Chalk Fragrant, Pyramidal orchids yesterday; some monster musk, up to 20cm high(!)

Attachments

• musky.jpg
    musky.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 72
Dacty dilemma

I was thinking D. p. cambrensis. Seems to fit the desriptions of both Harrap and Bateman, and matches the few online images available too.

Got anything that shows the spur better? Maybe looks a bit long & slim (suggesting CSO)?

Lesser Twayblade in Suffolk?

Idly perusing the BSBI Maps, I was intrigued to find a recent dot deep in the heart of Suffolk.

Google throws up Bonny Wood - a Suffolk Wildlife Trust
http://www.suffolkwildlifetrust.org/reserves/bonny-wood

"Orchids are also typical, with species recorded in Bonny including early-purple orchids, lesser twayblade, common spotted orchid. The luckiest of visitors might even be able to spot a greater butterfly orchid."

Anyone know anything? It must be at least 200 miles from from the nearest site.

An interseting suggestion. I will have to have a look at that.

I've only seen cambrensis in Cumbria and, looking at my pictures, the plants there have lightly spotted leaves, not the big dark splotches that your plant has, and a pretty much diamond shaped lip, not the tri-lobed lip of your plant.

Rich

Steve

here's a local CSO that looks a bit similar to your plant.

Rich

I saw the same plant in better condition last year and it's almost certainly D. x venusta. Jeff (of jeffnsue) was with me and we both decided it was that (despite the lack of Northern Marsh in the obvious vicinity).

I should stress that this plant stuck out like a sore thumb and was very different to the wider Common Spotted population.

See attached.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_8960.JPG
    IMG_8960.JPG
    211.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_8961.JPG
    IMG_8961.JPG
    219.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_8962.JPG
    IMG_8962.JPG
    274.1 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_8964.JPG
    IMG_8964.JPG
    329.4 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Idly perusing the BSBI Maps, I was intrigued to find a recent dot deep in the heart of Suffolk.

Google throws up Bonny Wood - a Suffolk Wildlife Trust
http://www.suffolkwildlifetrust.org/reserves/bonny-wood

"Orchids are also typical, with species recorded in Bonny including early-purple orchids, lesser twayblade, common spotted orchid. The luckiest of visitors might even be able to spot a greater butterfly orchid."

Anyone know anything? It must be at least 200 miles from from the nearest site.

I spotted this too. Very odd indeed! Someone really needs to check this one out...

I spotted this too. Very odd indeed! Someone really needs to check this one out...

Even more odd; the BSBI Tetrad in question doesn't actually correspond with Bonny Wood, they're about 30 miles apart. Maybe there's two LT sites or maybe someone got CT and LT confused?

Too late to check it out this year I would think.

Even more odd; the BSBI Tetrad in question doesn't actually correspond with Bonny Wood, they're about 30 miles apart. Maybe there's two LT sites or maybe someone got CT and LT confused?

Too late to check it out this year I would think.

Possibly someone got confused but the county recorder would have to submit that record so perhaps they typed it wrong?

And yet the Suffolk WT page for Bonny Wood claims "lesser twayblade" in the species listing, as you noted originally. Surely the fact that this isn't highlighted, yet "The luckiest of visitors might even be able to spot a greater butterfly orchid", suggests a simple error in that case...wouldn't be the first time i've seen a common twayblade 'identified' as lesser... The BSBI record is more interesting -- i've pinged the county recorder, and the Bonny warden, and will report back here on any responses.

[Don't suppose anyone has easy access to the Suffolk Naturalist's Society 'A Flora of Suffolk'?]

Last edited:
Would really appreciate any updates on the current stage of dark red, dune and lindisfarne helleborines. Am hoping to plan a bit better this year and get time off work to be able to go and see them.

Many thanks

And yet the Suffolk WT page for Bonny Wood claims "lesser twayblade" in the species listing, as you noted originally. Surely the fact that this isn't highlighted, yet "The luckiest of visitors might even be able to spot a greater butterfly orchid", suggests a simple error in that case...wouldn't be the first time i've seen a common twayblade 'identified' as lesser... The BSBI record is more interesting -- i've pinged the county recorder, and the Bonny warden, and will report back here on any responses.

[Don't suppose anyone has easy access to the Suffolk Naturalist's Society 'A Flora of Suffolk'?]

Checked in "Simpson's Flora of Suffolk" (1982) and only Common Twayblade mentioned.

Re Bonny Wood; just up the road from me and know it well. Common Twayblade yes, Lesser Twayblade would be good but highly unlikely.
'Flora of Suffolk' shows CT widely distributed and has no mention of LT.
Similarly, 'The Orchids of Suffolk', 1991, by Martin Sanford makes no mention of LT.
A typographical error seems the most likely explanation.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back