• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spanish Pyrenees Mid-August (1 Viewer)

Gladiator96

Didn't get any feedback on the Spain sub-forum. Hoping for more here. There are a decent number of trip reports (but hardly any in August) from the area but any added help wouldn't hurt.

A few friends and I are going for a 1-week birding holiday in the Spanish Pyrenees in mid-August.

A few birds we are targeting include Lammergeier, Wallcreeper, Citril Finch and Black Woodpecker. Dipper, Snowfinch, Alpine Accentor, Black Wheatear, both Choughs etc would also be nice. Spend a day in the steppes looking for sandgrouse etc. is also an option.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for seeing these species or any general tips for birding in the area.

Cheers

The area around PN Ordesa as well as around Hecho (sometimes spelled Echo) were both good when I visited the area many years ago but at the same time of the year. I remember Lammegeier, Citril Finch and Choughs from that trip together with other good birds, but I am unsure about whether we had the rest of your target species on this trip.

Niels

We were there (Hecho, not Ordesa ) last week, so the timing is obviously very different. We had no problem with Lammergeier, Dipper, both Choughs and Citril Finch, got just one Accentor on the last day and a couple of Snowfinches not too close. No Wallcreeper (but we weren't really looking as we have those close to home in winter). We did hear Black Woodpecker but didn't see it, although it seems to be more reliable at the nearby monastery of San Juan de la Peña, where we didn't have time to go. Black Wheatear is not present in the Pyrenees but should be at the Mallos de Riglos, not too far away. We went there but it was a stopover so we didn't have too much time and we had already seen BW in Extremadura the previous week. I am preparing a full trip report to be posted here soon, but if you need info in the meantime do ask.

We were there (Hecho, not Ordesa ) last week, so the timing is obviously very different. We had no problem with Lammergeier, Dipper, both Choughs and Citril Finch, got just one Accentor on the last day and a couple of Snowfinches not too close. No Wallcreeper (but we weren't really looking as we have those close to home in winter). We did hear Black Woodpecker but didn't see it, although it seems to be more reliable at the nearby monastery of San Juan de la Peña, where we didn't have time to go. Black Wheatear is not present in the Pyrenees but should be at the Mallos de Riglos, not too far away. We went there but it was a stopover so we didn't have too much time and we had already seen BW in Extremadura the previous week. I am preparing a full trip report to be posted here soon, but if you need info in the meantime do ask.

Thanks :t: Hecho seems like the best area overall however in one week we should have time to try other areas. Will keep an eye out for your report.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back