Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Garden/Yard List 2016

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Sunday 13th November 2016, 21:47   #826
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperpatch View Post
After a lovely kayak on the lake (adding Golden Eagle to my green list), we settled on the back deck with a cuppa, and were treated to a pair of 86 Common Goldeneye flying over.
Now if only the eagle soars this way too!

FWIW jasperpatch I've increased my sky watching considerably this year, and it has not disappointed!

In time....Golden Eagle will fall.
Old Sunday 13th November 2016, 23:52   #827
jasperpatch
Amy, Brit in Quebec.

Just checked and at least 18 of my 86 were flyovers, I spent many early mornings in spring wrapped up warm and with my eyes on the sky. It definitely helps being so close to a large lake. Now that the trees have lost their leaves I can just about see it from the house, though I'm yet to see anything on the water to add to the list - even with the scope!
My green list this year is on 119, so plenty on there that may at some point turn up in the garden. They are all within ~10k radius (bike, hike, kayak, snowshoe), mostly potential flyovers rather than settlers. Always something new.
Old Monday 14th November 2016, 06:34   #828
Warixenjalka

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM View Post
Excellent record!....any more pics. Warixenjalka?
Yes I have. I can put those here at afternoon (if I still remember )
Are you thinking it might be a Marsh T? Because I wonder that too, but the wing panel looks like more Willowy.
Last lifer: Arctic Warbler #437, WP ticks: 327, Finnish ticks: 265 (AW), Eco ticks: 200 (Spotted Crake), Yard tics (alltime): 114 (Northern Wheatear), Photo ticks: 406 (Ortolan Bunting)
Old Monday 14th November 2016, 06:43   #829
Warixenjalka

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperpatch View Post
After a lovely kayak on the lake (adding Golden Eagle to my green list), we settled on the back deck with a cuppa, and were treated to a pair of 86 Common Goldeneye flying over.
Now if only the eagle soars this way too!
So, the lakes are not covered with ice there yet? Here the sea coastline is allready covered with ice. And almost 20 cm of snow on the ground, so proper winter here now. But if you believe forecast, tomorrow starts to rain and the temperature rises to the plus side (Celsius).
Last lifer: Arctic Warbler #437, WP ticks: 327, Finnish ticks: 265 (AW), Eco ticks: 200 (Spotted Crake), Yard tics (alltime): 114 (Northern Wheatear), Photo ticks: 406 (Ortolan Bunting)
Old Monday 14th November 2016, 08:33   #830
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warixenjalka View Post
So, the lakes are not covered with ice there yet? Here the sea coastline is allready covered with ice. And almost 20 cm of snow on the ground, so proper winter here now. But if you believe forecast, tomorrow starts to rain and the temperature rises to the plus side (Celsius).
Just looked up, Jasperpatch is at 46°N, quite a long way south of me (55°N), let alone you!
Old Monday 14th November 2016, 09:56   #831
Jos Stratford
Beast from the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
Just looked up, Jasperpatch is at 46°N, quite a long way south of me (55°N), let alone you!
Yes, but Jasperpatch's region is typified by a far colder climate than you. Frozen Churchill, where the Polar Bears gather at this season, is also further south than Warixenjalkai :)

Last edited by Jos Stratford : Monday 14th November 2016 at 11:02.

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 14th November 2016, 10:02   #832
jasperpatch
Amy, Brit in Quebec.

Quote:
As Nutcracker has said, we are quite far South, so not frozen yet - but it is on the way. Last year we were still Canoeing on Christmas Day, but that was the first 'green' Christmas we've had since moving here 7 years ago.
The lake usually starts freezing mid-December, and then melts again mid-April. That gives us about 4 months of thick ice, safe for snow-shoeing/skiing. It also gives us temperatures down to around -35C, probably on a par with you?

Sadly not a whole lot of birds about in that period, I learn to love my 'regulars', and hope for close encounters rather than much novelty.
Old Monday 14th November 2016, 11:17   #833
Warixenjalka

Golf-Stream keeps this side of a pool warmer than the western side. So here Southcoast of Finland it's hardly ever -35C degrees. Maybe once in a ten years. -30C almost every winter day or two, some years week or even couple of weeks. An average of January and February -6...-7C degrees here. So we "lose this competition" to you Jasper...
Ice cover comes here (sea coast) normally about same time than your lakes and melts too. The entire Gulf of Finland freezes nowadays very rarely, but there has been (long time ago) winters when you could walk right down to Estonia from here.
Old Monday 14th November 2016, 14:33   #834
Warixenjalka

Quote:
Are you thinking it might be a Marsh T? Because I wonder that too, but the wing panel looks like more Willowy.
I remembered. Last pic isn't from my garden. I take that November 4th couple of miles from home. I put it here just because I manage to take a pic where both "blackcaps" are present. As you may know, Marsh Tit is rare visitor in Finland.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hömppä2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	605493  Click image for larger version

Name:	hömppä3.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	605494  Click image for larger version

Name:	hömppä&viita.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	605495  
Old Monday 14th November 2016, 14:57   #835
KenM

Interesting how the lighting can alter the tonal value perception, e.g. the last image grey upperparts when in shadow (left hand bird), and slightly warmer grey brown to the right hand bird (in sunlight). Clearly a borealis, loennbergi type. A great bird for the garden.
Old Monday 14th November 2016, 15:55   #836
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
Willow Tit / Hömötiainen for me; as well as the wing panel, also very bull-necked. A sharp pic of the bill would help for 100% confirmation.
Old Monday 14th November 2016, 18:00   #837
Jos Stratford
Beast from the East

Quote:
Willow Tit / Hömötiainen for me; as well as the wing panel, also very bull-necked. A sharp pic of the bill would help for 100% confirmation.
It is Willow Tit.

Old Tuesday 15th November 2016, 04:37   #838
Warixenjalka

What about the third photo, bird on right side? Are you agree with me that it is a Marsh Tit? (This wasn't at my garden)
Ken: I understand from your message that you think it is a Willow too. It's quite possible that I don't get it right what you mean.
Old Tuesday 15th November 2016, 06:09   #839
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Both are Willow Tits Wari (even we native English speakers have trouble understanding Ken at times )
Old Tuesday 15th November 2016, 10:27   #840
KenM

Quote:
What about the third photo, bird on right side? Are you agree with me that it is a Marsh Tit? (This wasn't at my garden)
Ken: I understand from your message that you think it is a Willow too. It's quite possible that I don't get it right what you mean.
Apologies Wari if I didn't make myself clear....can you imagine, what any attempt my Finnish would look like

I have to default to the commoner species Willow Tit on range and probability, however the bib looks short to my eye, probably just the angle?

Cheers
Old Tuesday 15th November 2016, 12:05   #841
Warixenjalka

Ok - (This thread gonna go all the way to... hmm - wrong way) But I stick still in that third photo (with 2 Tits ): Feeding place where I take that photo has visited Marsh Tit about 3 weeks now. Also there has been 3 Willow Tits (and many others). I thoght I manage to take pic where I had both black-capped Tits, but now it looks like I failed. No worries. I just have to go there and try again with better luck.

Here is another birder photos for that Marsh Tit. http://tuulanhavis.blogspot.fi/2016/...tatiainen.html
I thoght that I had a same bird, but the light might done his tricks...
Old Tuesday 15th November 2016, 22:02   #842
KenM

Quote:
Ok - (This thread gonna go all the way to... hmm - wrong way) But I stick still in that third photo (with 2 Tits ): Feeding place where I take that photo has visited Marsh Tit about 3 weeks now. Also there has been 3 Willow Tits (and many others). I thoght I manage to take pic where I had both black-capped Tits, but now it looks like I failed. No worries. I just have to go there and try again with better luck.

Here is another birder photos for that Marsh Tit. http://tuulanhavis.blogspot.fi/2016/...tatiainen.html
I thoght that I had a same bird, but the light might done his tricks...
Had I seen the first 3 (new) images in the UK Wari, I would have said Marsh Tit. Presumably these were imaged locally, and as such, would be very uncommon?

Cheers Ken
Old Wednesday 16th November 2016, 18:44   #843
joannec

73) Little Owl heard late this afternoon. This is a good one, not every year here.

Old Wednesday 16th November 2016, 23:11   #844
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joannec View Post
73) Little Owl heard late this afternoon. This is a good one, not every year here.
Never had one here...considering the habitat I should have had one by now!

They have occurred within 1000m though....I'll keep the prayer mat out.
Old Tuesday 22nd November 2016, 23:15   #845
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM View Post
Never had one here...considering the habitat I should have had one by now!

They have occurred within 1000m though....I'll keep the prayer mat out.
On the basis that fact is stranger than fiction!....Just dozing off at c11.40pm when I received "a nudge" from the misses, "can you hear the Owl?" she said, I thought odd...as we hear Tawny most nights! Before I could reply, we heard this repeated "wee-ew"-"wee-ew"-"wee-ew"....."there" she said! That's not a Tawny I exclaimed! (just as a female started "ker-wicking" into the mix). I leapt out of bed and xeno-canto'd Little Owl, the first recording sounded similar, thus I played another....and we both agreed "Bang-On" (who am I to argue ) at last....no.80 and a grdn.lifer! This represents the 4th lifer this year, and puts me on 132 for the all time list.

Last edited by KenM : Wednesday 23rd November 2016 at 08:23.
Old Wednesday 23rd November 2016, 09:06   #846
halftwo
Wird Batcher

Hhmmff.
I've been incarcerated for a week with flu with nowt new to show for hours of looking!
Ahead once again, Ken!
Old Wednesday 23rd November 2016, 09:12   #847
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

40. Flock of c.50 Pink-footed Geese S over.

Shows the importance of location - a very common sight down at the coast, but that little bit inland where I am, well less than annual.
Old Wednesday 23rd November 2016, 12:37   #848
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halftwo View Post
Hhmmff.
I've been incarcerated for a week with flu with nowt new to show for hours of looking!
Ahead once again, Ken!
Sorry to hear that H!...hopefully you'll soon be able to ''get back'' and give me a run for my money, as you have done for most of the year! As you appreciate, I do know what it's like to spend hours and hours....for nowt!

Keep your ''pecker up''......a Lesser spot would be nice.
Old Wednesday 23rd November 2016, 14:34   #849
halftwo
Wird Batcher

Quote:
40. Flock of c.50 Pink-footed Geese S over.

Shows the importance of location - a very common sight down at the coast, but that little bit inland where I am, well less than annual.

About annual here - so maybe a chance yet.
Old Wednesday 23rd November 2016, 16:24   #850
Jabberwocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by halftwo View Post
Hhmmff.
Ahead once again, Ken!
I've had a touch of man flu the past few days, the extra garden watching has not been completely birdless though. I was watching some yellowhammers at the end of the garden, a dozen in a leafless ash tree when some more similar sized birds flew in. It was so gloomy I couldn't be sure but they looked like Linnets. I had to get the scope to confirm it, just in time as a male sparrowhawk put them to flight, there must have been around 40. Then, on Sunday my good lady called from the kitchen to say there were some thushes eating berries. When I checked I found a pair of Mistle Thrush. That takes me to 60 for the year, more than I expected at the begining and still one or two more possible.

Hope you're feeling better now, I am, I given it to the other half.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: