• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So Hows your 2006 Yearlist Going then ? (2 Viewers)

I birded over at Poosey Conservation Area near Jamesport this morning and added five new year birds.

63. Red-headed Woodpecker (x2)
64. Cedar Waxwing (x200)
65. Purple Finch
66. Rough-legged Hawk
67. Brown-headed Cowbird

Not doing a major list this year, concentrating on the Patch, but yesterday afternoon I got a couple of good birds ....

73 - Yellow-legged Gull. (at least 2)
74 - Smew. (a stunning drake)

Last edited:
Incredible piece of luck at dinnertime. As it was such a nice day I decided to take a walk along a small local nature reserve situated on the edge of Whitnash, Leamington Spa and only a five minute drive from work. I used to take the dogs there when we lived nearby.

There is a small stream down there and as I approached the tall bushes that skirt the stream I noticed a small flock of birds. I gingerly crept up towards them and got real close. To my amazement they were all Lesser Redpolls apart from one which was paler and seemed larger. It kept on disappearing behind the branches but eventually it came out and stood right in front of me. Oh for my camera at that moment.

Unfortunately a Sparrowhawk flew by and flushed the lot towards a nearby farm. I couldn't re-locate tham after that but have put it on the pager so hopefully someone else will relocate them.

That brings my year total to:
81. Lesser Redpoll
82. Mealy Redpoll

73 in Herts, added...

Barn Owl x2 (3rd time lucky)

2 birds hunting close together, some great views at dusk.

edit:+1 forgot Nuthatch.

Last edited:
Stamped the local canal trying to find one or two birds and failed but bumped up the lists a bit. 104 Devon BOU & 49 Canal BOU.

had a supreme piece of luck this morning after doing the patch rounds to Martham Broad looking (unsuccesfully) for Goldeneye but got my first Cranes, Little Grebe & Pochard of the year plus a couple others ...

Then the real luck kicked in - Martham Broad isn't exactly over-run with birders shall we say, but today not only did i see 3 :eek!: ... but i was also given an interesting little snippet of pager info. ...so took a ride a little way further up Horsey Rd and lucked into some more birders onto a ...

(68) .... Rough-legged Buzzard :king:

(cheers to all concerned :t: )

Back to my favorite pond

Jan 10
36. Gadwall (same three males I saw back in December)

Jan 12
37. Ruby-crowned Kinglet
38. Tri-colored Heron
39. Pine Warbler (lifer, finally able to ID the little yellow blurs I've been seeing since December)

I have a total of 77 species now. Here are my additions:

66. Wood Duck
67. Lesser Scaup
68. Peregrine Falcon
69. Lesser Black-backed Gull
70. Northern Saw-whet Owl
71. Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
72. Eastern Towhee
73. Sharp-shinned Hawk
74. Pine Siskin
75. Field Sparrow
76. Glaucous Gull
77. Great-horned Owl

Last edited:
I was starting to wonder if I'd ever see one in 2006, but yesterday I finally added the House Sparrow to my list for bird number 47.

Checked the local river and sure enough a pair of Dippers courting.

Thought they were males disputing territory but one started singing to the other with his neck craned up high.

She wasn't impressed I can tell ya.

Two new year birds to add, one from yesterday on my local patch walk and one from a shopping trip to La Charité-sur-Loire with the wife today:

35. Common Kingfisher
36. Great Cormorant

I'm looking to do some birding either tomorrow or Sunday (or both) and should add a few more then.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back