• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mull in May, where to go. (1 Viewer)

Neil Oakman

My family got me a short break on the Isle of Mull including a sea eagle cruise. Its for early May. I will have one and half days free. I would particularly like to target corncrake, divers, ptarmigan, otters and mountain hare. Can anyone recommend places to visit? Would I be better signing up to one of the organised tours or just going off independently? I will have a car so getting around won't be a problem. I'll be based in Craignure.
Cheers
Neil

Hi again Neil

The best place for Corncrake is Iona. Last time I was there a couple of years ago, they were seen around the fire station and I heard them at the back of the abbey (still waiting to see one though LOL).

They aren't generally there in any numbers so, as early May is still early in the season, but you do have a good chance of seeing them as the grass and reeds are not too high.

Have a look at this article in The Opus, it's full of very useful information about Mull, with many links too. A super island and you'll love it I'm sure.

The wildlife tours are great, though can be a bit pricey, but with limited time it may prove worth while. The best places for Puffins are the Isle of Staffa and the Isle of Lunga.

Enjoy!

If you are on your own then driving and trying to spot stuff can be tricky. Otters and divers can be spotted all round the coast. If you want to enjoy yourself and not have to worry about spotting and driving on single track roads the a tour might be good.

There are plenty of operators, Mull is touted as "Wildlife Island", but a friend of mine runs http://enjoymull.co.uk/

Quite a number of years ago, but I went on day trips with Discover Mull Wildlife Tours. Pam and Arthur were fantastic hosts and fantastic guides, very welcoming and friendly. I see on their website that they're retiring this year, so probably worth getting a booking in now so you don't miss out. I thought they were everything that's good about Scottish hospitality, right up there with the best.

I remember seeing loads of good birds - great northern diver, peregrine, hen harrier, short eared owl, white-tailed eagle plus otters.

This was part of a week long holiday that also included two long whale watching trips and a visit to the Treshnish Isles (with Sea Life Surveys). I was there early June so you might be there a bit early for the best of it, but I'm sure a land tour at least should get some good sightings.

I think for ptarmigan, assuming they're on Mull, you'd need to go high up into the hills. Everywhere I've seen them has been at high altitudes, mainly near the summits.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back