• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pyrenees mid-August (1 Viewer)

Gladiator96

A few friends and I are going for a 1-week birding holiday in the Spanish Pyrenees in mid-August.

A few birds we are targeting include Lammergeier, Wallcreeper, Citril Finch and Black Woodpecker. Dipper, Snowfinch, Alpine Accentor, Black Wheatear, both Choughs etc would also be nice. We could also spend a day in the plains looking for sandgrouse etc.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for seeing these species or any general tips for birding in the area.

Cheers

Citril Finch were very easy around the buildings at Vall de Nuria on two September visits. We've been lucky with Lammergeiers from the Mirador on Pedraforca, reached via Saldes village. Dipper nested under the "Roman" bridge in La Pobla de Lillet when we paused there in June a few years back. Nesting will obviously be over by now but could be worth a lunch stop.

We've seen Black Wheatear several times from the short access road to the Iglesia de Santa Maria de Chalamera just off the HU-V8611 which could be an option if you head to the plains and haven't already seen it. Various larks and others close by, just before you reach the impressive cliffs at Alcolea de Cinca. Red-billed Choughs on these cliffs too and I think we've seen Alpine Choughs from the aforementioned Mirador.

Can't help with the others I'm afraid.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back