• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

revivingKensArt (3 Viewers)

Thanks Nick, Colleen. Looking at the Yellow-rumps a few days later I'm not as happy as when I did them. But I've been looking through old work for new subject matter and compared to the old stuff I have to be very happy.

I'm sort of fiddling around here trying to figure out what to do next. Another print, a watercolor? As I was looking through my photos I came across one of a rather elegant Gray Catbird and rememberd John saying that he sees them rarely out west. So this one's for John!

In both this and the last one I'm starting off with a sketch, then working with small brushes and fairly dry watercolor, at least to start. Not sure what effect that might have had.

During the warm months catbirds are a bit like the yellow-rumps, always there making noise, distracting you from more interesting birds. But when this one popped up this summer he seemed so sleek and elegant I had to take a photo. I also did some field sketches that are best left in the sketchbook! One of the things that first surprises you about catbirds are the bright rust undertail coverts, quite a surprise in this largely gray bird.

Attachments

• grayCatbirdWC010911.jpg
    grayCatbirdWC010911.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 48
I know that this is a far cry from my more subdued and detailed Yellow-rumped Warblers. But my intention was different here. I want to get back to doing linocuts so I've been looking at photos and sketches for some ideas. Anything I do has to lend itself to lines and to strong contrasts.

I saw some really striking female Wood Ducks this summer, bathed in a golden morning light, along the shore of the Wissahickon. The photo which is a pretty accurate description of the scene calls out for a painting that concentrates on light. But I thought I also might be able to use it with strong contrasts and lines to make a linocut. Anyway that was my intent here: to be one step on the way to a print.

Much of the scene is underwater. Much of the rock on which they stand, the water behind them, and the big rock to left. If the scene seems really odd that might help to explain it.

Attachments

• woodDucksWC011211.jpg
    woodDucksWC011211.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 53
Nice job on the catbird, Ken! Yes, those undertail coverts are quite striking, but I would guess most non-birders who see the birds never notice them. We had a Yellow-rumped Warbler on my section of the Seattle CBC done on Jan 1st this year - there are always some that hang around each winter. This winter, I've also heard more accounts of Townsend's Warblers hanging around (including two using hummer feeders people out here keep out year around for the Anna's Hummingbirds that are not migratory).

Looking forward to the lino cuts as well.

This winter, I've also heard more accounts of Townsend's Warblers hanging around (including two using hummer feeders people out here keep out year around for the Anna's Hummingbirds that are not migratory).

Ah the Townsends! I was out chasing one with my wife here in Philadelphia about a month ago! I'm just not the type of birder who goes out chasing rarities, which I know is a sacrilege here. But this one was only five miles away so I felt like we had to go. We briefly saw the bird that was clearly seen by others and identified as the Townsends. Unfortunately neither of us could see enough of him through the leaves to clearly ID him. Too bad. It would have been our first West Coast warbler!

I remember the first time we saw the rufous on the catbird. We thought it must be another bird. I'm happy this guy posed so nicely so that I could get a photo to use for a painting. They're so common here that I've never taken any photos. But he was so close and perfectly visible that I couldn't resist.

The Carolinas make for a very enticing design - the green/yellow motif connects the whole very nicely. I'd be tempted to sharpen an edge or two, but overall the effect is quite lovely. Look forward to see which direction(s) you take this, as there is much to explore.
Colin See Paynton is a few blocks away from your recent work, but there are corridors of connectivity. I like the way very complex and technical themes (water, reflections, transparency and opacity, - perspective and field of view, etc) can be interpreted along graphic lines. Your latest print techniques are exploring some very exciting ideas.

. Look forward to see which direction(s) you take this, as there is much to explore.
Colin See Paynton is a few blocks away from your recent work, but there are corridors of connectivity. .

Thanks all, and well said Tim. I'd elaborate on what you said about Colin See Paynton but come to think of it you've said it so well I don't see how I can improve on it. I haven't seen that much of his work, and certainly nothing recent, so it's nice to take another look at it. Can't imagine ever having the patience to take up engraving but all the other 'corridors of connectivity' I think are there.

Now I just hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew with translating this into lino.;)

wow that wood engraving work is over the top for sure, but what a creative use of that medium...almost an art deco feel to it....

can't wait to see what you do with the ducks and water Ken

A New Year and happy memories of Pelee are once again brought back by Mr. Januski! Without looking at my notes I reckon Yellow-rumped was second only to Yellow Warbler in abundance during that trip. These are very well done in what seems a very restrained way - the character comes through and the plumage tones have been handled just as they look - from memory!

Russ

I saw some really striking female Wood Ducks this summer, bathed in a golden morning light, along the shore of the Wissahickon. The photo which is a pretty accurate description of the scene calls out for a painting that concentrates on light. But I thought I also might be able to use it with strong contrasts and lines to make a linocut. Anyway that was my intent here: to be one step on the way to a print.

Much of the scene is underwater. Much of the rock on which they stand, the water behind them, and the big rock to left. If the scene seems really odd that might help to explain it.

not sure how I missed these- they're brilliant

I'm always excited to see bird pics where shapes and tones in the backgrounds are as strong as in the birds

Thanks all. I'm now on color number two of the wood duck linocut. Still plan another 2-3 colors, though it will probably look like just one new color by the time I'm done.

Attachments

• woodDucksLinoColor2V3.jpg
    woodDucksLinoColor2V3.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 64
captivating, I really do need to sort myself out properly for linocut - what do you use for the colour, I've been dabbling with slightly watered-down acrylic each time I use "linocut", as I can't find any water-based products that look suitable. I'm still very much in the "primary school potato-printing" brigade.

Thanks all. I'm now on color number two of the wood duck linocut. Still plan another 2-3 colors, though it will probably look like just one new color by the time I'm done.

that's coming out a treat- I was expecting the cut to be more abstracted than the sketch, but I see slight extra detail in the cut and it helps "explain" what's what in the background

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back