• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular 8x42 choice (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hello
Currently I am looking for a good 8X42 binocular, which in my case I think is better than the 10X42 model, because 10X is too much for my hands, the image trembles a lot ...
Personally I really like the model Zeiss Victory 8X42 FL., I think it is discontinued although I have seen some second-hand opportunity for the 1000/1200 euro. (I do not know if it would be a suitable price ..)
I would like to hear some opinion about it, from someone who has used it, I would also like to know if there really is a model that can give the benefits that this Zeisss gives, especially at the level of contrast and luminosity, since I have read that maintain a good level in these two aspects, an amazing level according to some reviews ..., it would be interesting that there was a good value for money, I read something about the models Ultravid HD 8X42, Meopta Meostar B1, Vortex HD 8X42..y some more, with good prices (not exorbitant for my pocket), but something very important for me is that binoculars do not present problems of eye placement, or blackout problems ... since in the past I had to get rid of (very despite my exceptional image) of a fantastic and incredible Nikon 10x42 SE, blackout problems that I could not tolerate and also due to the shaking of the image by the 10X .. pity because the image was spec tacular under my point of view, they had a contrast this type of contrast is that I look for even knowing that it is not the only good characteristic of any binocular.
Thank you very much for your advice in advance ..
Wachi

I had an FL 8x42 for 9 years and it was an excellent instrument and is still competitive today. I don't have experience of the Leica but my wife's Ultravid HD 8x32 is excellent as is the Meopta although the Meopta is a bit heavy. If you can find a Zeiss HT 8x42 second-hand you would have an upto date FL because this is what HT really is and it handles better than the FL.

Good luck with your choice.
Lee

If you can get a Zeiss 8x42 FL in good condition for around 750€ it's a very good buy IMO. Other used alternatives would be Leica Ultravid HD or a Zeiss HT. But they might be a bit more expensive.

Try a Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32. It is smaller, lighter, more compact, has the same FOV as the Zeiss 8x42 FL and it is less expensive and the optics IMO are very close. 99% of the time the 32mm will work as good as the 42mm. If you really want the Zeiss 8x42 FL here is a nice pair on Ebay for $900.00 bidding so far and they ship worldwide for $39.52.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zeiss-Vict...667082?hash=item25eee35a0a:g:TFAAAOSwt5BalY~e

Last edited:
I've heard you state this before and I know you have a lot of experience with optics so I've decided not to buy any 42mm thinking I'll get anything my 32s won't offer me. Plus I rarely am out at dawn or dusk due to age truth be told.

Hello,
I lean more towards the 8x42 model because I personally will use it not only for birdwatching but also for casual astronomical observation ....

8x42

Hello,
I lean more towards the 8x42 model because I personally will use it not only for birdwatching but also for casual astronomical observation ....

At ~880 grams the Meopta 8X42 is a great glass with a field of view of 8.4 degrees, 17.4 mm eye relief and will not break the bank at less than $1000.00.
Leica 8X42s are more pricey, but they are a nice glass esp for astro in a 8X42. The meoptas are probably the smallest package as far as dimensions go for an 8X42, but for some the weight as Lee said can be an issue.
It is built extremely tough.

A.W.

Perhaps this is just me but I would've thought the obvious choice would be Nikon Monarch 7, no? Here's the link to Amazon.

It's 8x42 so your hands won't hurt too much - weight is 22.9 oz, 5.6x5.1 inches for length and width, respectively. Here's a breakdown of the specs compared to other models of a similar size and price point.

I suppose if you really wanted high-end quality then there's always Swarovski EL 8.5x42. Expensive though.

Perhaps this is just me but I would've thought the obvious choice would be Nikon Monarch 7, no? Here's the link to Amazon.

It's 8x42 so your hands won't hurt too much - weight is 22.9 oz, 5.6x5.1 inches for length and width, respectively. Here's a breakdown of the specs compared to other models of a similar size and price point.

I suppose if you really wanted high-end quality then there's always Swarovski EL 8.5x42. Expensive though.

No one with $$ is going to pick this one but I'm glad to see the Celestron Trailseeker among the picks on that breakdown list. At about $189 on Amazon they are the budget pick for sure but the optics greatly outperform the price if they are like the other sizes in that line. I have compared the Trailseeker 10x32 and a Meopro 10x32 and there is not that much difference IMO. Except in size and weight. The Trailseeker is much smaller and lighter.

No one with $$ is going to pick this one but I'm glad to see the Celestron Trailseeker among the picks on that breakdown list. At about $189 on Amazon they are the budget pick for sure but the optics greatly outperform the price if they are like the other sizes in that line. I have compared the Trailseeker 10x32 and a Meopro 10x32 and there is not that much difference IMO. Except in size and weight. The Trailseeker is much smaller and lighter.

Yeah, I've heard some great things about the Celestron Trailseeker. Do you have one yourself? If not, what's your weapon of choice?

Well I had the 10x32 and as I said in some ways I liked it better than my Meopro of the same size and at less than half the cost. Now due to this thread I went to my favorite optics review site and they had rated the Trailseeker 8x32 Birding Binocular of the Year in 2012. So I found one for $189 and I just ordered it yesterday and I'm hoping it will be here by the end of the week. I will do a little review on but I'm pretty confident it's going to be excellent. I love the idea of a 426ft fov. Celestron makes a step up called the Granite that is basically the same bino but with ED tacked on. It's about $300 or so but I read a some customer reviews that seemed knowledgeable and they said they thought the Trailseeker was just as good optically.

I'll say it again that 10x32 was exceptional for the Money. Every bit as nice to my eye as my Zen Rays and pretty close optically to my Meopro.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back