• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk vs Suffolk (1 Viewer)

Himalaya

It seems that Norfolk gets more vagrants than Suffolk when I look at bird news. In fact it appears that there is a big difference - is it the location?
They are both fabulous birding locations no doubt. Is there a difference in how many rarities turn up and the type?

It seems that Norfolk gets more vagrants than Suffolk when I look at bird news. In fact it appears that there is a big difference - is it the location?
They are both fabulous birding locations no doubt. Is there a difference in how many rarities turn up and the type?

If memory serves, from my perspective....I've had more ''rares'' from Suffolk (from a site called Landguard) than I have from Norfolk over the years, and yet I've visited Norfolk more often. :eek!:

I suspect one factor is that Norfolk has a longer coastline. Its coastline also faces in a wider variety of directions. Both these factors probably help it receive more rarities and migrants than Suffolk.

It's a combination of location, weather and observer coverage.
Landguard has a working observatory, is close to a major container terminal and suited to receive different types of migrants in Autumn and Spring from Europe dependant on weather systems and wind direction. This probably accounts for some of the records of New World sparrows from that area and a Snowy Owl some years ago, possibly all hitching a ride and getting off when near land ( subjective of course ).
Norfolk again is geographically well positioned to gain from most weather systems and nearness to Europe but also benefits from exposure to Arctic blasts down and across the North Sea. As a result, many ornithologists and birders have moved to the county, particularly North Norfolk, so that combined with many interested visitors increases the amount of coverage, particularly at hot spot areas such as Blàkeney Point.
P

The Norfolk birdlist is about 40 higher than the Suffolk one. I get the impression that Norfolk does not do as well as it used to do and indeed, I had not been there for at least two years until visiting the possible Stejneger's Stonechat at the weekend.

It would be interesting to say compare the rarities (as a proportion) for Norfolk and Suffolk in the various BBRC reports over the last few years say 1986, 1996, 2006 & 2016. I doubt there will be a pattern and I am sure that my thoughts are based massively on subjective overlay and nothing concrete.

My last tick in Norfolk was Canvasback on 24.01.97 whereas I have had four ticks in Suffolk since then - Lanceolated Warbler (26.09.97), Baikal Teal (20.11.01), Trumpeter Finch (21.05.05) & Western Swamphen (01.08.16). Kent has been a far better county for megas for me during that period........

All the best

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back