• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

IOC World Bird List V2.3 (1 Viewer)

IOC now report that V2.3 will be posted tomorrow (Dec 20).

But details of the updates are already available at:
http://www.worldbirdnames.org/updates.html [and sub-pages]

Includes Laniarus willardi and Phylloscopus calciatilis – now that's what I call a decisive and up-to-date checklist!

Well done, IOC team. :clap:

Richard

Last edited:
With the split of Grey-cheeked Fulvetta anyone know whether subspecies yunnanensis which I assume is what you see around Lijiang and Dali in N Yunnan is now a subspecies of A. fratercula or A. davidi

With the split of Grey-cheeked Fulvetta anyone know whether subspecies yunnanensis which I assume is what you see around Lijiang and Dali in N Yunnan is now a subspecies of A. fratercula or A. davidi

Zou, F., H. C. Limb, B. D. Marks, R. G. Moyle & F. H. Sheldon, 2007
Molecular phylogenetic analysis of the Grey-cheeked Fulvetta (Alcippe morrisonia) of China and Indochina: A case of remarkable genetic divergence in a "species"
Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 44 : 165–174

The authors explain : « The subspecies yunnanensis also lacks a supercilium (MacKinnon and Phillipps, 2000). We did not have DNA of this taxon for comparison, but by plumage yunnanensis, which occurs in northwestern Yunnan, southwestern Sichuan, and northeastern Burma, appears related to the central clade through Sichuan rather than to the peripheral clade through southern Yunnan. »

The central clade is davidi (including also schaefferi). I saw this taxon (yunnanensis) in Yao Jia Ping, not far from Lijiang.

Last edited:
IOC have reposted their lists as per:

NOTE (Dec 21 am): Version 2.3 files have been fixed and reloaded TO THE WEBSITE. tHANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE and please let us know about any remaining glitches that you find.(fg)

Zou, F., H. C. Limb, B. D. Marks, R. G. Moyle & F. H. Sheldon, 2007
Molecular phylogenetic analysis of the Grey-cheeked Fulvetta (Alcippe morrisonia) of China and Indochina: A case of remarkable genetic divergence in a "species"
Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 44 : 165–174

The authors explain : « The subspecies yunnanensis also lacks a supercilium (MacKinnon and Phillipps, 2000). We did not have DNA of this taxon for comparison, but by plumage yunnanensis, which occurs in northwestern Yunnan, southwestern Sichuan, and northeastern Burma, appears related to the central clade through Sichuan rather than to the peripheral clade through southern Yunnan. »

The central clade is davidi (including also schaefferi). I saw this taxon (yunnanensis) in Yao Jia Ping, not far from Lijiang.

Not clear which species is finally occurring in Thailand? Has its name remained Grey-cheeked Fulvetta or it is the David's Fulvetta
Alcippe davidi?

Szimi

Grey-cheeked Fulvetta split

Such as the Taiwan Fulvetta Alcippe formosana?
I am confused a bit as could not find exact listing with ranges. :)
It's a bit confusing because Zou et al, Collar & Robson 2007 (HBW12), Dickinson 2003 (H&M3) and Cornell/Clements don't recognise exactly the same sspp.

But my understanding of the IOC split is:

• A morrisonia Grey-cheeked Fulvetta (monotypic) - Taiwan
  • A davidi David's Fulvetta (incl schaefferi, yunnanensis) - N Myanmar, NW Yunnan, SW Sichuan, EC/S China, N Vietnam (Tonkin)
  • A fratercula Yunnan Fulvetta (incl 'laotiana', annamensis (ex-A peracensis)) - C/E/S Myanmar, SW Yunnan, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam (N Annam)
  • A hueti Huet's Fulvetta (incl rufescentior) - SE China, Hainan I
[I could quote more detailed definitions of the ranges within China (from Collar & Robson) if that would be useful.]

Richard

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back