• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 8x20 Ultravid - Modified (1 Viewer)

NDhunter

Experienced observer
United States
I have found a way, that I did know about to increase the length of
the eyecup, to help me view with comfort. I don't wear glasses and
always had to hold the binocular a little farther from my eyes and used
my finger to brace it in position.

These cups have 2 rib areas, and I was able to slip the soft rubber eyecup
farther up, and it stays there just fine. The photo shows the extra distance
and it does just what I needed.

Also, notice I am using a Nikon strap, and ocular caps from the LXL series,
pocket type, and they fit perfect. This strap is better than the thin cord
type from Leica. Also they don't come with covers.

Jerry

[...]
Also, notice I am using a Nikon strap, and ocular caps from the LXL series,
pocket type, and they fit perfect. This strap is better than the thin cord
type from Leica. Also they don't come with covers.

Jerry

My Leica Ultravid 8x20 BR came with two eyepiece covers which attach to the carrying strap.

Mine came with only a red wrist strap, and a red case.

The special red model, for sturdy outdoorsman.....;)

Jerry

Mine did not include the objective or ocular covers either. They did include a leather hard case in black.

I liked the cord neck strap on the Trinovid 8x20 better than the ribbon-style one on the Ultravids.

Cool modification, but aren't they still too small? I've always wondered about fitting large diameter eyecups to pocket roofs so they don't poke eye sockets for those who don't wear glasses, and so they block peripheral light better for those who do.

As for ocular guards, straps, etc, I take a minimalist approach with pocket roofs. I use the original Ultravid strap, but taking inspiration from the original Trinovid strap, I attach it without using any of the buckles etc (see attached photo). Keeps it sleek and avoids issues with scratching lenses etc when stuffed into a case or pocket.

--AP

Attachments

• Leica8x20Ultravid_strap.jpg
    Leica8x20Ultravid_strap.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 152
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back