• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (6 Viewers)

Highlights today were 30+ bee eaters, dozen stone curlew and a pair of turtle doves near Son Bosc area. Llenaire really quiet and only the usual birds seen at S’Albufereta.

Birding around Oakland airport, San Francisco, is brilliant with some great birds, but I can’t help dreaming of being on the Central Plain looking at those Red-footed falcons. Nothing quite beats that.
Thanks for keeping the thread going everyone. Mike

Can cuarassa first thing this morning, slight change in the air with a feel of more birds moving!
'Flava' wags going over in groups inc one of c.70, 1 Tawny pipit, 1 Ortolan and 6 Tree pipits all over North.
5+ Pallids picked out of a steady movement of Swifts. Other Birds inc, Thekla lark x3, Purple Heron x1, 1 Gropper 'reeling', Stone curlew x2+, Hoopoe x2, Spotless starling (the usual 3), Whimbrel 'call' , Gadwall x5, BW stilt x1, RC pochard 'pair', Marsh harrier xF, Bee-eater 'heard', Osprey x1.
16 Common sands together with 4 Kentish plover where Sant jordi runs into the Bay.
A group of 25 grounded Spanish wags in a field by Llenaire roundabout inc 2 male 'Grey Headed' wagtails.

Can cuarassa first thing this morning, slight change in the air with a feel of more birds moving!
'Flava' wags going over in groups inc one of c.70, 1 Tawny pipit, 1 Ortolan and 6 Tree pipits all over North.
5+ Pallids picked out of a steady movement of Swifts. Other Birds inc, Thekla lark x3, Purple Heron x1, 1 Gropper 'reeling', Stone curlew x2+, Hoopoe x2, Spotless starling (the usual 3), Whimbrel 'call' , Gadwall x5, BW stilt x1, RC pochard 'pair', Marsh harrier xF, Bee-eater 'heard', Osprey x1.
16 Common sands together with 4 Kentish plover where Sant jordi runs into the Bay.
A group of 25 grounded Spanish wags in a field by Llenaire roundabout inc 2 male 'Grey Headed' wagtails.

Some great birds there.
Others may be able to confirm but I think your Grasshopper Warbler is a very good record and should certainly be submitted (for inclusion in the Balearic Bird Report, etc.). I believe it's usually a scarce passage migrant in Mallorca, unless things have changed in the last few years.
Martin

Some highligths:

-Collared Flycatcher still in Cabrera National Parc seen by several birdwatchers and another one yesterday in Mortitx (by J.Moss)
-Red-footed Falcons and Lesser Kestrels at Vilafranca plains (by J.Moss, C.López, etc)
-Collared pratincole at Depuradora (Albufera, by Mara and Martin Schultz) and Salobrar de Campos (by J. Moss).
-Golden Oriole next to the road to Es Trenc (Salobrar de Campos, by Schultz family)
-Different kinds of waders from Cibollar 1 , s'Albufera (Knot, Curlew Sandpiper, Wood Sandpiper...) and Bee-eaters, by Toni Soler and Biel Bernat.

:t:
Cristina.

Coffee-talks

Next Saturday we do the talk about the Osprey again.
3.30pm at the Ornithological information centre (in English and Spanish)

Attachments

• imatge cartell peixetera2018 anglès.jpg
    imatge cartell peixetera2018 anglès.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 20
Some great birds there.
Others may be able to confirm but I think your Grasshopper Warbler is a very good record and should certainly be submitted (for inclusion in the Balearic Bird Report, etc.). I believe it's usually a scarce passage migrant in Mallorca, unless things have changed in the last few years.
Martin

you are right Martin!! :)

Hi Martin, thanks for replying. I can certainly do that - is there a web site (in english) that i do that through?
Many thanks Jonathan

Brief walk around Las palmeras (puerto pollensa) for an hour (5pm) produced, 1 Eleonoras, 1 Turtle dove, 3 Pallid swift through, 3 Bee-eater, 1 woodchat, 1 Hoopoe and a couple of Red kites over

Yes Martin, thanks for that. There are less than a handful of records each year, a difficult bird to see. They can be heard reeling very early in the morning around Albufereta, Can Cuerassa and the back roads of Pollensa.
Since learning this, I have seen two but it would be good to receive the record officially. Mike

Hi Kendalbirder. Records can be submitted direct to GOB at:
[email protected]
I do receive a few records of Grasshopper Warbler and especially Lesser whitethroat every year, none of which are submitted officially. This is a shame as it distorts our records.
Lesser whitethroat and Grasshopper Warbler are both seen here as relatively rare and yet I believe that they are far more frequent than reported, especially Lesser whitethroat.
It would be very helpful if visitors could submit all records, no matter how common, then we can better monitor the health of all species. I am personally interested in the decline of Turtle dove, a beautiful bird which as you all know, is mercilessly persecuted throughout the Mediterranean by hunters.
GOB have a web site for all records. It’s working well and is a very interesting local resource. I will post the address later. Please use it, it’s easy to join and submit to.
Thanks for your help, Mike

Sightings from Thursday
Albercutx Tower - raven , pair of peregrine, B R Thrush and probable honey buzzard.
S’Albufereta - bee eater heard, several marsh harriers and purple heron plus the usual birds.
S’Albufera - Bishop hide had good numbers of waders including greenshank, curlew sandpiper, little stint and knot. Osprey x2 and peregrine seen. Plus a fly through group of terns which may have been whiskered teens but will need to check through the photos. Glossy ibis and Squaccos in the egret roost.
Weather looks poor the next couple of days so we will see what that brings. Micky

Hi Kendalbirder. Records can be submitted direct to GOB at:
[email protected]
I do receive a few records of Grasshopper Warbler and especially Lesser whitethroat every year, none of which are submitted officially. This is a shame as it distorts our records.
Lesser whitethroat and Grasshopper Warbler are both seen here as relatively rare and yet I believe that they are far more frequent than reported, especially Lesser whitethroat.
It would be very helpful if visitors could submit all records, no matter how common, then we can better monitor the health of all species. I am personally interested in the decline of Turtle dove, a beautiful bird which as you all know, is mercilessly persecuted throughout the Mediterranean by hunters.
GOB have a web site for all records. It’s working well and is a very interesting local resource. I will post the address later. Please use it, it’s easy to join and submit to.
Thanks for your help, Mike

As Mike quite rightly says, a lot of important information on species in Mallorca gets "lost" by visiting birders, which is a real shame ;). Even though the island's ornithological value is undisputed, it is still very underwatched and the local birder population is small, with just a handfull of residents, so any extra recorded sightings are very much appreciated and can be put to good use by providing a larger picture of what is going on with the different species, some of which we know are in trouble :-C

It only takes 20 seconds to set up a user on the Citau page (in English) and it also has a mobile version that records sightings on the spot :t:

https://citau.gobmallorca.com/

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Can cuarassa (7am-9am, drizzling),
Much the same as yesterday, but Gropper not heard.
Much increase in Hirundines, with upward of 1500 present (80% Swallows) - grilled best i could but couldn't pick out a Red-rumped.
Highlights & Additions: Red throated pipit x1 on main path at 07.05 until accidentally flushed by a local (flew towards shore). Ortolan x1 possibly a 2nd seen and heard over North. Pied fly x1 male by gate, Spotless starling x5, Turtle dove x1, Pallid swift x1, Stone curlew several heard + 1 seen, Bluethroat x1F type very briefly by 1st screen, Snipe x1, Common sand x20 with another 7 together on shore and 1imm Cormorant off shore.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back