• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swaro 8x20 pocket bino-close focus 8' 0r 13'? (1 Viewer)

karmantra

Thinking of purchase of 8x20 Swaro pocket binos, but getting different reads on its close focus range--Swaro's customer service says 13 feet, while Eagle Optics says 8 feet. Has Swarovski updated the bino to 8 feet? If so, when? Anyone out there with 8x20s with the eight foot focus? Thanks, Karmantra

My wife's 8x20 SLC is about 5 yrs. old and focuses to 8 ft.

Elkcub
PS. My own 10x25 is 13 yrs. old and focuses to 13 ft.

elkcub said:
My wife's 8x20 SLC is about 5 yrs. old and focuses to 8 ft.

Elkcub
PS. My own 10x25 is 13 yrs. old and focuses to 13 ft.

I recently tried a brand new one, and its minimum focus was awful, so it must have been the 10x25, I assume. ( I tried so many different ones that I had to quickly eliminate those that did not interest me any further that I do not recall it more precisely.) Just not up to todays standards. But I think Swarovski were the first truly waterproof ones, long before the others caught up. Though, when I bought my Leica 8x20s some 6 or so years ago, I erroneously believed they were waterproof. Of course, Leica did not want buyers to believe otherwise. And at the time, it was much harder to gather the info which we now easily find on BF.

Last edited:
Swissboy said:
I recently tried a brand new one, and its minimum focus was awful, so it must have been the 10x25, I assume. ( I tried so many different ones that I had to quickly eliminate those that did not interest me any further that I do not recall it more precisely.) Just not up to todays standards. But I think Swarovski were the first truly waterproof ones, long before the others caught up. Though, when I bought my Leica 8x20s some 6 or so years ago, I erroneously believed they were waterproof. Of course, Leica did not want buyers to believe otherwise. And at the time, it was much harder to gather the info which we now easily find on BF.

Hi Robert,

Back in 1994 when I bought my 10x25 SLCs the Swaro catalog said close focus was 16.5 ft (5m) and the 8x20s were 13.2 ft. (4m). At the same time the Eagle Optics catalog said the 10x focused to 10 ft and the 8x to 8 ft. In practice I found the 10x to be somewhere between the two ads, and the 8x closer to Eagle's ad., i.e., 13 ft. vs. 8 ft. Today's Swaro catalog maintains the original short focus specs. I don't know why since since they are both better performers.

My preference is the 10x, which is much easier for me to hold steady. The 8x is just too small for my hand. Its only shortcoming IMO is the focus distance, but the optics are superb and it works well for shore birding and rain forests believe it or not.

Leica and Zeiss have both been somewhat unclear about waterproofness in the past, but it was also a well-known secret. Enjoy those Leica's. Great glass.

-elk

Last edited:
elkcub said:
My preference is the 10x, which is much easier for me to hold steady. The 8x is just too small for my hand. Its only shortcoming IMO is the focus distance, but the optics are superb and it works well for shore birding and rain forests believe it or not.

Leica and Zeiss have both been somewhat unclear about waterproofness in the past, but it was also a well-known secret. Enjoy those Leica's. Great glass.

-elk

Elk,

Following the test mentioned in my first post, I got myself a Leica 10x25. I also felt that I could hold them much better than the shorter 8x. And you are certainly correct with respect to shore birding.

I wonder, however, about your statement concerning rain forest birding. My main binoculars are Leica 8x32BAs. When I had a chance to use them extensively in the Peruvian rain forest five years ago, I had two complaints. One, being the inadequate close focus for those close but elusive antbirds (and your Swaro 10x25 should do worse in this respect). Two, the inadequate brightness under early morning forest floor conditions. Here, too, I'd expect all compacts to be even less suited. These experiences make me search for something in the x42 range; and that was the actual purpose for my testing. But instead of coming up with a decision there, I fell in love with those 10x25 Ultravids.

Swissboy said:
Elk,

Following the test mentioned in my first post, I got myself a Leica 10x25. I also felt that I could hold them much better than the shorter 8x. And you are certainly correct with respect to shore birding.

I wonder, however, about your statement concerning rain forest birding. My main binoculars are Leica 8x32BAs. When I had a chance to use them extensively in the Peruvian rain forest five years ago, I had two complaints. One, being the inadequate close focus for those close but elusive antbirds (and your Swaro 10x25 should do worse in this respect). Two, the inadequate brightness under early morning forest floor conditions. Here, too, I'd expect all compacts to be even less suited. These experiences make me search for something in the x42 range; and that was the actual purpose for my testing. But instead of coming up with a decision there, I fell in love with those 10x25 Ultravids.

Hi Robert,

For some reason there seems to be an avoidance of 10x25 pocket binocs. I'm not quite sure why, but so it is. Personally, I think they're great.

For two days my wife and I found ourselves with only Swaro pocket binocs in Cost Rica some years ago. That was before the baggage arrived with my 8x30s. It was unbelievable rain, but the 10x25s (and to a lesser extent the 8x20s) did fine — even in dull, damp light. We added several new lifers, and I was surprised at how useful they were. But, of course, the 8x30s were a relief, and my current 10x42 would even have been better. IMO, quality waterproof pocket binocs are a lot better than one might imagine — and superior to el-cheapo stuff of any size (the guide had one). I agree with you that modern close-focusing binocs would be even more useful, but so far I've not found anything I'm willing to sacrifice my SLCs to get.

Part of this, I admit, is unabashed bonding. Last year I sold those 8x30 Mk IIs and then went through such a period of remorse that I purchased a replacement on eBay last week.

-elk

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back