• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Deanna D Northern Studio (1 Viewer)

Good to see you back Suvi! I love the wonderful colours of the crane painting.

For what it's worth I missed out on an art college education too. I suspect that I would have learned a great deal at art college, but very little of it would have been related to art!

Mike

Thanks Mike! Im kinda surprised the crane is liked so much!

Ive heard alot that art school doesnt teach you much related to art, right now im trying to find a short course i could take on business and marketing as I would like to one day just paint, which i know is a ways off.. but latly ive been so busy I havnt had much time to paint :( working on a couple - neither birds which is very odd for me! haha anyways see how it goes one now has two layers of gesso hiding the unfortunate accident before it lol

Hopfully I will get more time soon.. :)

Ive been fighting this one tooth and nail.... I re painted the tree tonight, added a bit more to the grass in the foreground.. I am not happy with it.. but dont know which way to go, Im determined to make this one work..

ANy thoughts/suggestions.. something obvious im missing...?

*sigh*..

:-C

Attachments

• rsz_dscf2911.jpg
    rsz_dscf2911.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 41
  • rsz_dscf2913.jpg
    rsz_dscf2913.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 32
apart from leave it as a rather beautiful piece, perhaps you could paint some lighter red tones onto the animals to make them less in the foreground - other than that, I don't see anything more to do, sometimes the hardest pictures are the simplest ones, and knowing where to stop is more difficult than knowing what to do. There's a beautiful percussive beat in there.

Thanks Nick! after reading that they do seem to push forward into the foreground... will add some red tones and try and push them back.. maybe that will do it... Fingers crossed!

Thanks Nick! after reading that they do seem to push forward into the foreground... will add some red tones and try and push them back.. maybe that will do it... Fingers crossed!

I'm pretty sure that will work - otherwise, it's a beautifully composed piece that requires nothing more than simplicity to pull it together.

This is lovely! Looks very complete to me. Hard to know sometimes when to walk away. I can't see how tinkering any more will add anything to this,already, magical piece.

Thanks Nick, I will give it a try shortly hopfully it will do what I need ...

Phil - Thanks! Im glad you like it.. it is hard to know when to stop tinkering... am going to tr and lighten the cows up a bit and see how that looks to me... I am taking this piece out for a critque tomorow, so see how that goes, maybe Im just too close to it so really see it....hmm...I was thinking of framing this one, in a more elaborate frame to emphasize the simplicity in the painting... but now sure that would work the way ithink? any thoguhts?

I spent the morning running my dogs ad looking for some birds to sketch in the feild... (the dogs probably didnt help the number of birds I seen) I saw one hawk very breifly.. and the dogs scared up some grouse.. Not much practice was had but the dogs are happy!! haha Beautiful fall day.. can feel winter coming..

sometimes the hardest pictures are the simplest ones, and knowing where to stop is more difficult than knowing what to do. There's a beautiful percussive beat in there.

A very striking picture as is. I think with simple pictures it's much harder to leave them be but all the more important to do so. I'd leave it be and move on to a new one. If you decide later that you know what you want to do with this one fine. But in the meantime just let it sit. I know that's not easily done.;)

Thanks Solitary :) I took it out to a local artist to get an opinion.. I fully expected it to be ripped apart (in a good way!) But she liked it as is! and suggested only that I finnish painting the edges, sign it and try a new varnish!!

I was shocked!.... I really wasnt fond of this painting ...maybe i should add a bird, lol, that might be whats missing!! hahaha jk! :D

The first one is done on tile 6x6... Second is 10x20 this was the one inspired from my hunting trip.. not done with ityet but not sure where to go from here.. C&C on both are more than welcome!!! :)

I started doing 3 different owls on tile...the other two are not going as well, haha, This one the b/g has alot of texture.

Im not sure if either of these are done... hmm..

haha

:smoke:

Attachments

• rsz_peak-a-boo.jpg
    rsz_peak-a-boo.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 36
  • rsz_peakdetail.jpg
    rsz_peakdetail.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 35
  • rsz_cowncalf.jpg
    rsz_cowncalf.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 35
Thanks Phil :)

It is Moose in #3. When I was out hunting this fall we spotted Mom standing there perfectly outlined as we stopped to watch her we spoted a few more sets of ears! She had twins but I only painted one baby in there, i think 3 woulda been a little too much and that one was pretty well hiden with the fog..

I have seen Elk in Poland, which are your Moose.

Evocative little piece. Have a great weekend. That's something we all can agree on.

"Weekend" is universal! ;)B :)

Haha sure is! TGIF! :D

We have some Elk here too, they are moving into the area, watched a mom and baby last year when i was out hiking/hunting they are beautiful creatures. And they sure can cover ground!

Have a fantastic weekend!! B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back