• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x32 Wetzlar Hensoldt, how old? (1 Viewer)

John M Robinson

I've been perusing ebay and see an older 8x32 serial number 84030. Other than a torn leather covering they look to be in great shape. They look like an older roof design with a porro type center focus mechanism, probably not water proof.

Would you think these are before phase coating?

thanks,
John

Hi John,
Looking through my 1963 catalogue, I found the binoculars you are asking about. I believe that Zeiss bought out Hensoldt shortly after that, and as phase correction coating was introduced about 1988(?) they would not have been so coated, fyi the field was 150m/1000m. As you can see from the pictures, the hard shallow eyecups suggest minimal eye relief. All that said, they were a very good binocular for their time. Cheers, John

FWIW

Some rather nice photos too

http://cgi.ebay.com/ZEISS-DIALYT-8x...wItemQQimsxZ20090125?IMSfp=TL090125074003r510

See also on ebay.de a slightly later (or better condition) set

http://cgi.ebay.de/Hensoldt-Wetzlar...ItemQQimsxZ20090218?IMSfp=TL090218137003r7422

or

http://209.85.201.132/translate_c?h...n&sa=G&usg=ALkJrhghAX5AME6-wDlCxSo5cCvYJtC3PQ

Apparently a 150m FOV ;)

And a related monoculars perhaps?

http://www.monocular.info/dialyt8x32.htm
http://www.monocular.info/dialyt7x42.htm

These are all dated late 1950s into the early 1960s.

So I suspect no PC which appeared in 1988.

The bins I asked about originally are roofs. They look like Zeiss's answer to the first Trinovids. Mayby Wetzlar was before Leitz. Actually, that's a good question, does anybody know who manufactured the first viable roof prism binocular?

Hi John,
My response was about Hensoldt roof prism bins, although the 1963 catalogue shows both roofs and porro's. The Hensoldt roof prism bins date back, at least, to 1937, that catalogue shows all roof bins with the exception of one porro monocular, although they might well have produced other porro bins at that time.
Wetzlar is a city (town?) in Germany where Leitz was originally situated, and also was the home of Hensoldt in 1937 and still in 1963

Hi Andrew, The original request was for info on the ***y bins which the picture clearly shows to be a roof prism model.
Cheers, John

Last edited:
Here are two pages from Swift-Anderson's 1930 - 1931 Catalog, and a wonderful letter by them to a Mr. Otto in 1932. Swift Anderson was the sole US importer for Hensoldt at that time, which, according to other sources, had patented "Hensoldt prisms" as early as 1908. I believe there is a difference between Hensoldt and Abbe-Koenig prisms used by Zeiss for their later binoculars, but one term may be a generic form of the other. I would appreciate clarification about that, being too lazy to figure it out.

A lot of detail was lost compressing the images for BF, but Hensoldt, Wetzlar is shown on the tubes in the cutaway.

Ed

Attachments

• Swift 1930-31 CATALOG.jpg
    Swift 1930-31 CATALOG.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 786
  • Swift Letter to Otto.jpg
    Swift Letter to Otto.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 372
The bins I asked about originally are roofs. They look like Zeiss's answer to the first Trinovids. Mayby Wetzlar was before Leitz. Actually, that's a good question, does anybody know who manufactured the first viable roof prism binocular?

Hensoldt in the 19th century, I beleive.

Zeiss first roof prisms was in 1906 according to this

http://www.zeisshistorica.org/specbinos.html

Note that Zeiss completed the purchase in Hendsolt in 1963. Note how that coincides with the production dates for the similar monoculars.

http://www.zeisshistorica.org/companies.html

I suspect this bin is from 1963 or before especially as Zeiss made the first 8x30 Dialyt starting in 1964.

From http://home.europa.com/~telscope/zeissbin.txt

8 x 30B| |130 |1964-1969| 650| FIRST ZEISS DIALYT. SCHMIDT PRISM.

So nothing definitive but I think this narrows it down a bit.

How much has Zeiss used the Hensoldt name since then? Have they used them on lines other than the FDR/NATO bins?)

Last edited:
Ed,
Thank you for your very interesting post. What a fascinating piece of history! Removal of the Prism cell for emergency cleaning! Wow! My catalogue copies are both in German (1937 and 1963) so I don't know if that feature still existed by then. Although with many of the current bins being waterproof/resistant that will probably will reduce the demand for this feature today!
Slightly like the Bell and Howell M19, developed so that the objectives and eyepieces and the bodies could be replaced in the field while still maintaining acceptable collimation. Light transmission stated on the specs at 70%!
Regards, John

Last edited:
Ed,
Thank you for your very interesting post. What a fascinating piece of history! Removal of the Prism cell for emergency cleaning! Wow! My catalogue copies are both in German (1937 and 1963) so I don't know if that feature still existed by then. Although with many of the current bins being waterproof/resistant that will probably will reduce the demand for this feature today!
Slightly like the Bell and Howell M19, developed so that the objectives and eyepieces and the bodies could be replaced in the field while still maintaining acceptable collimation. Light transmission stated on the specs at 70%!
Regards, John

Hi John,

I'm glad to find someone else who appreciates the potential need for emergency prism cleaning. ;) The flip side is that they also advertised Hensoldt "Porro Stereo-Walker" binoculars, corresponding with the prism diagrams. The use of the word "stereo" suggests they valued stereopsis back then — possibly because stereo photography was all the rage.

Ed

Last edited:
Wow, I had no idea to roof prism design went back that far. I'm a fairly casual user of a bins, and beyond what I remember in use as a child from reading magazines and looking through sporting goods catalogs, I haven't really been a student on the subject. Back in the sixties I remember the upper end being Leitz Trinovid roofs and very nice Zeiss porros along with a nice Bauch & Lomb porro. I don't remember that good looking Zeiss roof that was already fifty or sixty years old. You learn something new everyday, especially here on birdforum.net
John

John, The s/n on that 8x32 Dialyt is 840303. $699 (£478) seems a bit steep. The s/n of my mint 7x42 Hensoldt Dialyt is 748605, + beautiful solid leather case (supplied by Foto Kaps of Regensburg) bought a few years ago; can't recall the price, but circa £200/250. Maybe scarcity has increased the value, meantime. The 7x42 has 140/1000yds fov (8') and weighs 580g, made between 1948 and 1963. As Kevin says, from 1964 Zeiss took on the Dialyt name for their top end roofs (later to become the ClassiC). Hensoldt had been operating since 1897 and from 1964 (within the Zeiss Group) made military optics. I have assumed my Dialyt is from the early 1960s; can anyone date it to the actual year? The optics are very good for a roof binocular made half a century ago, but (understandably) not quite up to (say) a Zeiss 10x40 BGAT* of the mid-1980s. It's more a collectable gem than a 'user', a prime example of the binocular-maker's art; however, like a classic car, I like to give it an airing on occasions, for the sheer pleasure of using something special.
I note the 8x32 from Germany ended on 27th February at E228 (£211/$307) which is probably about right, making the South African one seem somewhat expensive...

Last edited:
I bought a pair of Hensoldt 8 x 30M Fero -D16 ex German Military binoculars on Ebay. They are superb optically but have no central focus wheel. You have to focus each eyepiece separately. They will serve me well as a backup pair to my Leica 10 x 42 BA's. certainly a lot lighter to carry.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back