• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 10x36 Binocular (1 Viewer)

Kevin Purcell

I hadn't noticed this before but there is a 10x36 Ultra HD but no 8x36. Slightly odd.

And Bushnell have redesigned their web site (it's an improvement!).

http://www.bushnell.com/products/binoculars/legend-ultra-hd/191036/

Specs (first numbers are the 10x36; second set are 10x42 for comparison)

Magnification X Obj Lens 10 x 36 10 x 42
Close Focus (ft/m) 6.2/1.9 6.5/1.9
Lens Coating Fully Multi Fully Multi
Field of View ft@1000yds / m@1000m 341/114 340/113
RainGuard® HD Yes Yes
Eyecups Twist-Up Twist-Up
Eye Relief 15.4 15.2
Adapt to Tripod Yes Yes
Focus System Center Center
Exit Pupil (mm) 3.6 4.2
Prism Glass BaK-4 BaK-4
Water/Fog Proof Yes Yes
Prism System Roof Roof
Weight (oz/g) 20.6/582 22.5/638
Model 191036 191042
Size Class Mid-Size Standard

Basically the same number. A fraction more ER (which is interesting), fractionally closer close focus and a little lighter.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/bushnell/bushnell-legend-ultra-hd-10x36-binocular-black

$249 and in stock.

Anyone tried one?

Normally I would be interested, but the 10x42 is so lightweight and compact, I would barely notice the differrence in hand. Plus of course the same fov, so no major gain.

Same with the 8x42, it is no more trouble to carry than my 8x32s.

Yes, the 8x36 looks the most interesting of the bunch. Eye relief, stray light and rolling ball issues need to be tested by someone. Plus I think the eye relief may be just right without glasses.

But I got my 8x42 for just over 200 so I am not complaining.

Bushnell's web site is strange these day's the old Elite has seemed to have vanished and no hint if it has been or is going to be replaced with a ED open hinge or if the e2 with ED glass is the replacement. I guess it's their way of keeping us looking. And Tero I to think the 8x36 Ultra is the most interesting.

Best Alan.

Bushnell's web site is strange these day's the old Elite has seemed to have vanished and no hint if it has been or is going to be replaced with a ED open hinge or if the e2 with ED glass is the replacement. I guess it's their way of keeping us looking. And Tero I to think the 8x36 Ultra is the most interesting.

There isn't an Elite E2 ED. There is an Elite ED (not E2). There is no open bridge Elite any more and I don't think it's coming back (given the new Elite ED are about half the price). I think Bushnell has reduce the top end pricing of their bins.

There is another thread on this ;)

As a result of an exchange, ended up with the 10x36. A little dimmer than the 10x42, both are fine. No problem with eye placement without glasses.

Picture:10x42 and 10x36
the 8x36 needs to be checked out yet by somebody.

Attachments

• legend1036.jpg
    legend1036.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 810
As a result of an exchange, ended up with the 10x36. A little dimmer than the 10x42, both are fine. No problem with eye placement without glasses.

Picture:10x42 and 10x36
the 8x36 needs to be checked out yet by somebody.

Hi Tero

I still love the 10x42hd so don't think I would gain by the 36. I really do like the colour saturation and ED effect as well as the lightness so I am still really impressed by these bins and very much looking forward to going on holiday to Gran Canaria with them shortly. If they had the el clarity and better edge sharpness (although I am not bothered by this) then I think they would be my pefect binocular that is if they had the el focus and yet wider field too, why not. Yes I think that would be it, my perfect perfect binocular and I would ONLY NEED ONE!

It is interesting to read your posts and hear you comment on such things as your 8x42 bushnell poro's as I had a pair of those also and was really impressed with the detail they could provide plus the wide field but they had a cold cast. I also have the 8x32 old legend for about 10 years now and still use them in the rough rather that destroy my pretty 8x32 el travelers. When I use the old 8x32 I always remeber that the 8x42 were just that bit wider sharper and brighter although not nearly as ergonomic. I thought the el would be so much better than the old 8x32 legend that I would store them away and only use the el but alas I have concluded that the old 8x32 is perfectly fine if not exceptional.

To the point, I am almost wondering should I ditch the el's and get the 8x36 bushnell. All depends on how the 8x36 reviews I think. Love the idea of the wide field like the el's. I have seem them in camo (prefer black I think) for just under £300 here in the uk. Someone mentioned £200 around London. Definitely be interested in that price.

What I have found most surprising lately is that I don't think the el are really a quantum leap better then the old 8x32 busnell although they certainly are better but for distant objects I can actually see more detail with the old Busnell I think although the contrast and sharpness don't seem as good? Its as if the old 8x32 have more magnification maybe due to the narrower fov although the el have much better walk in view more like you are in the view. Now if this 8x36 where as pleasing as the 10x42hd then I could actually go against the el as I am dissapointed in the CA with them for such an expensive bin but I do not (for some reason?) find the ca with the hd's objectionable. I must also say thought that the brightness of the el is very noticably brighter, I guess thats their main strong point but still I really like these hd's but then again I have never had the chance to try the Hawke 8x43 which I believe is another item worthy of interest, losses on ergonomics for me though.

Final point. Eyecup problem with the HD. Something like one of the click stop bits pushing out through the rubber covering on the eyecup barrel. Repair service was 1 week and they also smoothed out the focus, tightened the hinge etc. They actually put a modified wider collar on the barrel so maybe this is a recognised design problem. Now though due to this wider collar both eyecups are not level when folded down which for me is not an issue as I always use them fully extended. No other problem since that repair several months ago.

Actually I probably have an excellent set of bins as is. I guess its just the binicoholismitusibola flaring up again. Still i am thinking I want to replace my old 8x32 busnell with a pair of these 8 x 36 and keep the el too just since they are such a classic design. Please can someone give us the lowdown on the 8x36. I really wanted to find my el so much better than my old 8x32 legend but its not really the case and then from using my 10x42 hd I have really been impressed and don't think I really need these expensive el although they are indeed nice to have.

Clive,

I have a 22 year old pair of Bushnell Customs, 10 x 40, that still test amazingly well against the best [current] roofs of the day.

I have used these side by side with my friends EL's and they [the Custom's] are obviously sharper and brighter. I would rate the Customs as pretty darn close to the SE's and would love to see a meaningful test between the two.

Even side-by-side with my FL's, the Customs fare well, only a smidge behind in a few criteria. Amazing how good some of the older porro glass holds up!

Edit - forgot to add, the Customs are clearly sharper and brighter than my 3rd generation Elite's as well......the binocular I paid three times more to replace them with......

Last edited:
Hi Tero...

Final point. Eyecup problem with the HD. Something like one of the click stop bits pushing out through the rubber covering on the eyecup barrel. Repair service was 1 week and they also smoothed out the focus, tightened the hinge etc. They actually put a modified wider collar on the barrel so maybe this is a recognised design problem. Now though due to this wider collar both eyecups are not level when folded down which for me is not an issue as I always use them fully extended. No other problem since that repair several months ago.

Actually I probably have an excellent set of bins as is. I guess its just the binicoholismitusibola flaring up again. Still i am thinking I want to replace my old 8x32 busnell with a pair of these 8 x 36 and keep the el too just since they are such a classic design. Please can someone give us the lowdown on the 8x36. I really wanted to find my el so much better than my old 8x32 legend but its not really the case and then from using my 10x42 hd I have really been impressed and don't think I really need these expensive el although they are indeed nice to have.
Those are the things we live with in the budget category. As far as the various models, I would rank them thus:

10x42 Ultra
8x36 Ultra
8x42 Ultra
10x36 Ultra

I base that ranking strictly on the comparison of the 3 that I have and I think 8x36 is a good compromise.

But, I like the compact 36 models and and hoping some major brands will make a 10x36 of this class and charge 500 for it. I used to think 10x32 useless, but maybe there is some promise there. But 10x36 will be brighter.

Hi James / Tero

Those customes sound good. I always wondered about getting a pair of SE's also but I guess I'm a sucker for roofs and sealing. Maybe an updated ED SE as some have speculated. I would have loved a chance to try some SE's but never seen a pair around.

I've read here people saying SV's are better than the SE but I don't like the SV bulk when I tried them.

Also while I love 8x I always feel I'm missing a bit of magnification unless I'm around lots of trees and when I use my 10x I always miss wide angle so I guess I will never be satisfied with one bin. On balance I suppose I prefer a 10x as I rarely bring my scope and this is where I love the compactness and lightness of the 10x42 HD and the relatively wide field I have found great for tracking BIF's.

As I take a few pics also I tend to judge binoculars by how the view looks like it would make a good photograph and in this regard my el's have been the winner here closely followed by the HD which surprised me that it was capable of this. My old 8x32 Bushnell can't really stimulate in this way basically at all so I have to conclude that the HD is definitely progressing along the right lines. Having said that, just looking out at the snow falling now with the old Bushnell the view is good.

Currently I have 2 good pair and one car pair (if I had a car!) so maybe I should just be content but I have to say I am curious about a future SV x 32 without the CA. Then I would want a 10x32 (with hopefully the 6.8 fov) but then the exit pupil is getting a bit tight.

Yes I think its time to wait a few years more probably and see where everything is then. Can't wait for the next advances already but I'm thinking I'm not going to be swayed in future by the mega money brands. The £300 bins are just to good. Will continue to consider this 8x36 in the meantime. I have a feeling it really could be a serious alternative to some of these high end 8x32's.

Tero, you put me off buying a pair of 8x42HD's with the long eyerelief business. If they had gotten great reviews in general I think I might have gone for them even if they would have needed repairing almost immediately. The idea of the 8x36 is still appealing but its probably silly to buy them when I have the el already and probably more of a 10x user. Maybe I should be considering some other brand some time to try something else or maybe I should use what I have until they are so worn that I must get something newer. Thats probably in the next life.

Having 2 pair of bins that give me views that I would love as photographs is not a major problem. I guess the quest for ever more superb viewing is only stimulated further by the already great bins available now.

Attachments

• IMG_7440birdforum.JPG
    IMG_7440birdforum.JPG
    336.9 KB · Views: 220
I think the 8x42 and 10x42 may be a little more reliable, but they all come from the same plant. The 8x42 are fine once you get used to long eye relief. Some people will not like them, as they seem to give blackouts when you stick them to your eye. So you need to learn to place them correctly near the eyes.

I think it is a failure of the eye cup design, as they could go in and out more to accommodate all users.

I have not had any repairs done on my 3 yet.

Yes, the 8x42 ER issue is not one of too much eyerelief but because the eyecups don't extend far enough. Most eyecups will have 3 click positions while these 8x/10x HDs only have 2. On bright days, I'm always wearing sunglasses with my 8x so it is not an issue. My body runs hot too so I prefer to keep a little distance to avoid eyelens fogging. But glueing a rubber washer or two on the eyecups or adding a batwing design will fix it if one is determined to jam them into their eye sockets. Generally too much ER with an ultrawide angle bino is a blessing and is totally opposite of what is usually the case.

Hi James / Tero

Those customes sound good. I always wondered about getting a pair of SE's also but I guess I'm a sucker for roofs and sealing. Maybe an updated ED SE as some have speculated. I would have loved a chance to try some SE's but never seen a pair around.

I've read here people saying SV's are better than the SE but I don't like the SV bulk when I tried them.

Also while I love 8x I always feel I'm missing a bit of magnification unless I'm around lots of trees and when I use my 10x I always miss wide angle so I guess I will never be satisfied with one bin. On balance I suppose I prefer a 10x as I rarely bring my scope and this is where I love the compactness and lightness of the 10x42 HD and the relatively wide field I have found great for tracking BIF's.

As I take a few pics also I tend to judge binoculars by how the view looks like it would make a good photograph and in this regard my el's have been the winner here closely followed by the HD which surprised me that it was capable of this. My old 8x32 Bushnell can't really stimulate in this way basically at all so I have to conclude that the HD is definitely progressing along the right lines. Having said that, just looking out at the snow falling now with the old Bushnell the view is good.

Currently I have 2 good pair and one car pair (if I had a car!) so maybe I should just be content but I have to say I am curious about a future SV x 32 without the CA. Then I would want a 10x32 (with hopefully the 6.8 fov) but then the exit pupil is getting a bit tight.

Yes I think its time to wait a few years more probably and see where everything is then. Can't wait for the next advances already but I'm thinking I'm not going to be swayed in future by the mega money brands. The £300 bins are just to good. Will continue to consider this 8x36 in the meantime. I have a feeling it really could be a serious alternative to some of these high end 8x32's.

Tero, you put me off buying a pair of 8x42HD's with the long eyerelief business. If they had gotten great reviews in general I think I might have gone for them even if they would have needed repairing almost immediately. The idea of the 8x36 is still appealing but its probably silly to buy them when I have the el already and probably more of a 10x user. Maybe I should be considering some other brand some time to try something else or maybe I should use what I have until they are so worn that I must get something newer. Thats probably in the next life.

Having 2 pair of bins that give me views that I would love as photographs is not a major problem. I guess the quest for ever more superb viewing is only stimulated further by the already great bins available now.

Clive:

After reading your quest for another bin, I think you've come to a very good
solution, keep the good bins you already have, and you really should get
the Nikon SE while you have a chance. Use the SE during good weather,
as it will be tops, then get the Swaro. out during the wet times. ;)

The Nikon SE, will not give you eyepiece problems, as they only fold down,
no twist up issues. And so you will just leave them as is.

Warranty with either Nikon or Swaro. seems to be the best. So just
something to consider.

Jerry

Clive:

After reading your quest for another bin, I think you've come to a very good
solution, keep the good bins you already have, and you really should get
the Nikon SE while you have a chance. Use the SE during good weather,
as it will be tops, then get the Swaro. out during the wet times. ;)

The Nikon SE, will not give you eyepiece problems, as they only fold down,
no twist up issues. And so you will just leave them as is.

Warranty with either Nikon or Swaro. seems to be the best. So just
something to consider.

Jerry

Hi Jerry

Will certainly consider your suggestion. Actually I had my finger on the order button for a pair a while ago but pulled back at the last minute to go for the Swaro's. I messed about with them again yesterday and I think if I widen the ipd then there is a point where the CA is basically a non-issue.

I once had a pair of Zeiss Victory 8x32 and I miss that I ever sold those but I was a bit short of cash at the time and I always wondered about buying another pair as they were very good for general use but I didn't find them so good for distance.

The only Nikon I ever owned was the 8x20 high grade which were also very good but I prefer the next larger bin sizes for the much easier view.

I expect to have a little spare cash in the new year and so I think I really am seriously considering buying another pair of bins and gifting the 8x32 Bushnell to some-one actually I've just thought my uncle might like them as he's into birds but I don't think has any decent bins. Something as you say to use mostly when I'm out in good weather and then I have my el's and HD's as an alternative when needed.

I must perhaps enquire in the area if anyone has a pair of these SE's to try. After a quick google it seems the SE's are available for just over £500 here.

I can't believe that Nikon are not keeping this binocular going and providing an update when it is clearly so desired and respected by so many diserning people. Why? Are we not the market????
I'd be worried about getting this SE and then they bring out a new improved one. I'm thinking ED or such like has now become the standard for any good current optic and progressively more and more models will switch to this style so I look forward to this all shaking out. I mean its been comon in porro scopes for such a long time now surely a good ed porro bin is due????? Nikon????

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back