• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild Nights by Anne Mathews. (1 Viewer)

Andrew

wibble wibble
Wild NIghts : The Nature of New York City.

This is a classic example of the rule of not judging a book by it's cover. On the face of it, it appears to be a book on the wildlife of New York. Despite being a bit thin at 210ish pages I bought it with the expectation of reading about families of Racoons raiding apartment fridges, various spectacular warblers in Central Park and whatver else roams New York's streets at night. It does that albeit briefly.

Anne Mathews's book does not seem to know what it is supposed to be. It is not deserving of being in the wildlife section of the bookshop where I first saw it as there is a massive proportion on how cities around the world evolved, suffer epidemics, planning misdemeanors and even touches on the jewish/hispanic percentages of the population. I really struggled my way through this book with many pages being a glossy blur while thinking of the next birding trip or twitch.

It is obvious that I do not like it. Do not think I am biased in that I only like birding books. Not true, I read various other book now and then especially Bryson at the moment. It is just I like a book to be what it promises to be about. There was very little about the actual wildlife of New York, I mean she even discussed a religious pet blessing festival, come on PETS!!!!

To sum up, don't read this if you are wanting a purely wildife read.

Last edited:
It does sound a bit odd but I see it got 5* on Amazon, so someone must have liked it... Thanks for the review, though, Andrew.

I must look up the review on Amazon to see what the qualities were.

Edit : Can't find any star rating or review on this PAGE.

Last edited:
Andrew said:
Ah, different book altogether. Mind you on the strength of the one I read I won't be picking that one up!
Different? It looks like the same author and same title (almost), Andrew? It does seem odd that she should have written two very similar books.

Andrew said:
The sub titles of the books appear to show they are very different books. It does not seem quite clear if they are the same or not. Strange. The two books have different ISBN numbers too as well as different covers.

My above link did not work at all so here is the book I am refering to . . http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0007123345/qid=1097177032/sr=1-9/ref=sr_1_0_9/202-5248083-3820636
Hi Andrew

It might be that one is a US edition, maybe? Or the one I found is a second - a follow up to yours?

Hi Steve,

Mine was first published in the US in 2001 and subsequently in the UK in 2002 whereas the one you refer to is suggested by Amazon as a 2002 book. What baffles me is that the review for 'your book' is uncannily descriptive of the one I read. Maybe the book is published in two different covers/titles? Very misleading really.

The review in your link has a lot of pro statements for the book that I wonder if it is biased. For example suggesting she quotes Whitman and Darwin is a bit fanciful as she only quoted Whitman once or twice and Darwin is only discussed for a few lines. The review makes it seem like one of those serialised historical programmes (with loads of black and white photographs) about American History shown in Christmas Seasons withy copious helpings of Whitman! Not the case.

Another thing I felt about Anne Mathews is she seemed to come accross as a typical journalist that rambles too much and digresses to excess. She is more a journalist with an interest in nature.

Andrew said:
Hi Steve,

Mine was first published in the US in 2001 and subsequently in the UK in 2002 whereas the one you refer to is suggested by Amazon as a 2002 book. What baffles me is that the review for 'your book' is uncannily descriptive of the one I read. Maybe the book is published in two different covers/titles? Very misleading really.

The review in your link has a lot of pro statements for the book that I wonder if it is biased. For example suggesting she quotes Whitman and Darwin is a bit fanciful as she only quoted Whitman once or twice and Darwin is only discussed for a few lines. The review makes it seem like one of those serialised historical programmes (with loads of black and white photographs) about American History shown in Christmas Seasons withy copious helpings of Whitman! Not the case.

Another thing I felt about Anne Mathews is she seemed to come accross as a typical journalist that rambles too much and digresses to excess. She is more a journalist with an interest in nature.
It's intriguing. But "your book" is about New York, I think. Maybe she wrote a follow up covering a greater area? All very odd.

I'm currently reading Anthony Burgess' "A Clockwork Orange", though - very different; and eminently more interesting by the sound of it!

My book actually covers the greater New York area.

Enjoy Clockwork Orange, I have only seen the film and my next one is Birding on Borrowed Time despite all the negative comments on her style and attitude. Hope it pleases me.

Hey, gents, at the bottom of the first posted URL's "user review" section was the statement:

"--This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title"

So that would explain the two different editions, different ISBNs and different covers/subtitles. Is the publisher also different? I didn't check that far. All this just intrigued me because my sister is an online bookseller here in the US.

Hi Katy

I noticed that, too - thanks. But how odd that such a similar book exists? By the way - I hope you don't mind me mentioning - your surname intrigues me (I teach English and am a keen linguist...). Do you know its origin? It certainly goes well with "Katy"! It always fascinated me how names 'work' - and how some sound this way and others sound that.

Katy Penland said:
Hey, gents, at the bottom of the first posted URL's "user review" section was the statement:

"--This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title"

So that would explain the two different editions, different ISBNs and different covers/subtitles. Is the publisher also different? I didn't check that far. All this just intrigued me because my sister is an online bookseller here in the US.
I noticed that too and it is quite baffling as the review for the out of print book seems to fit the bill for the one I read (the "in print" one) so I suspect there was an initial run that flopped and it was relaunched again in a different subtitle?

scampo said:
Hi Katy

I noticed that, too - thanks. But how odd that such a similar book exists?
Made me think the first might've been a "vanity press" kind of thing that got picked up by a mainstream publisher the following year. Without knowing the publishers, hard to say. It *is* bizarre, isn't it?

By the way - I hope you don't mind me mentioning - your surname intrigues me (I teach English and am a keen linguist...). Do you know its origin? It certainly goes well with "Katy"! It always fascinated me how names 'work' - and how some sound this way and others sound that.
It's Scots, from Pentland -- Pentland Hills, Pentland Firth... And thank you for asking, I don't mind a bit!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back