• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

USA, California? Possibly some type of lovebird? (1 Viewer)

Here are a few links to some images of the pair of birds in question:
http://postimg.org/image/g1lgb3a1h/
http://postimg.org/image/leaap7xxx/
http://postimg.org/image/hvyastx1x/
http://postimg.org/image/9rq6o3amt/

Please do no be too put off by the fact those birds are in a cage. It's not my intention to buy or cage a pair of those birds myself, I am just curious about the birds.

I watched a movie recently titled "20th Century Women" (I do not recommend), and the only thing that really piqued my interest was those birds and the claims from the girl acting as the owner. She claimed that the pair of birds will be monogamous for life. She added, "If one dies, the other will die like a week later." Later on in the movie, supposedly one of the birds died, and then the other (sure enough) supposedly died within a week.

Now, I know not to just trust a movie to truly provide factual information of any sort, so I've been searching online for a while now with no results. And that's why I've come here.

My two questions:
1. What kind of bird are those pair of birds in the images linked to above?
2. Are the girl's claims true?

Thank you for your time and any help!

Monogamous until one dies, but not a single species on earth will die because the partner is lost, complete nonsense

Not a single species of birds are made from identical individual, so I guess behaviour change individually from one to another, like in humans.

Do you think this website is accurate?

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/14-fun-facts-about-lovebirds-180949742/

2. Lovebirds pine for each other.

If a mate dies or gets separated from the flock, its companion exhibits erratic behavior that some have likened to depression. Birds kept as pets often don't like being alone and will exhibit similar behavior in captivity.

"Men have died from time to time, and worms have eaten them, but not for love."

Dto for birds, cock or hen. . ..

;)

Last edited:
I apologize. I did read the rules, but I misunderstood them. I thought I was following the rules by linking to the photographs instead of posting them directly. After rereading the rules I see that I was wrong.

And, yeah, the movie was horrible. Hahaha...

I apologize. I did read the rules, but I misunderstood them. I thought I was following the rules by linking to the photographs instead of posting them directly. After rereading the rules I see that I was wrong.

And, yeah, the movie was horrible. Hahaha...

No worry, it was a good thread, but some people like to create problems for nothing. You did well :t:

No worry, it was a good thread, but some people like to create problems for nothing. You did well :t:

You're like a child who has to have the last word - the thread was a breach of rules, move on

I think that you're deliberately baiting me, that's often called trolling, says something of your character........

Last edited:
You're like a child who has to have the last word - the thread was a breach of rules, move on

I think that you're deliberately baiting me, that's often called trolling, says something of your character........

No, I just hope one day you stop commenting in a thread where you didn't bring any interesting information, just to say something non-constructive such "it is not in the rule" or "your photos are too bad". You do that all the time.

A little tip for you: those who are blindly following the rules do that usually because they have lost common sense. Or they have lost common sense because they follow the rules blindly.

OP clearly stated " It's not my intention to buy or cage a pair of those birds myself, I am just curious about the birds." Curiosity about birds is exactly why most of us are here. Guys like you typically reduce or spoil curiosity and enthusiasm of new members.

. Guys like you typically reduce or spoil curiosity and enthusiasm of new members.

And guys like you just play to an audience and enjoy the sound of their own voice. You like the new comers don't you, they can be easily impressed even by nonsense and opinions which at best are guesses.

Goodbye

Last edited:
Can I ask all posters to post respectfully and not sidetrack threads with personal remarks to others. If there's an issue with the legitimacy of a thread topic then moderators will deal with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back