• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Noddies from Mauritius (1 Viewer)

MKinHK

Mike Kilburn
Hong Kong
I photographed these noddies from a bouncing boat in Mauritius last Sunday. The silhouette looks to me like it might be Brown and the one against the blue water Lesser, but I would welcome more expert input.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• DSC08460 Lesser Noddy? @ Mauritius.jpg
    DSC08460 Lesser Noddy? @ Mauritius.jpg
    606.9 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC08434 Noddy sp @ Mauritius.jpg
    DSC08434 Noddy sp @ Mauritius.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 54
I suspect you're right on both counts. I think all the birds in the first image are Lesser, and the silhouetted bird Common on structure and bill shape.

And here's one more that I assume from the pale underwing coverts and black lores is also Brown Noddy.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• DSC08700 Brown Noddy @ Mauritius.jpg
    DSC08700 Brown Noddy @ Mauritius.jpg
    815.2 KB · Views: 32
And here's one more that I assume from the pale underwing coverts and black lores is also Brown Noddy.

Cheers
Mike

Yes, I would think so. Shame the coverts are not visible in any of the other shots.

I think I was being a bit cavalier when I said I thought all the birds in the first image were Lesser, but I'm pretty confident the main bird is.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back