• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swing-away adapter for all scopes and cameras (1 Viewer)

Robert L Jarvis

Robert L Jarvis
At the birdfair on the SRB stand they were demonstrating a swing away adapter which looked very good and at a non-exorbitant price. As I had previously used a simple alignment collar before which meant hand holding the camera and the vagaries that introduced into taking photos the swing away looked ideal for me.

I got in touch with Terry Fogden at SRB-Griturn (01442 257477 www.srb-griturn.com) and asked if he could produce one for me. So after providing the measurements and details of my needs, Terry sent an adapter for me to try. I have set out pictures below.

5) This the sleeve fixed to the scope body with cutouts to allow the zoom of the eyepiece to be used.

4) This shows the adapter fixed to the sleeve by means of a collar, in this can also be seen the attachment for the remote release cable.

3) The camera is now attached and set in the position ready for use.

2) Shows the camera swung away for the scope to be used.

1) The camera with the lens extended ready for those photos. As can be seen the front of the camera lens can be put right up to the eyepiece glass without hitting it! It just requires a small effort in setting up and sorting out exactly the best position for your camera and scope. Once this is set it is simple to do a number of things to remember the position of the camera when it is removed at the end of a session and has to be put back another day such as a little mark here or there with a marker.

In practice in the field I found that this set up works extremely well once everything is in place. The camera can be set so accurately and very stable for taking photos. The adapter in the photos is not its finished state as it has to be anodised to complete it's appearance. The adapter is very light as the metal is aluminium and very finely constructed. I am confident that this can accomodate all scopes and cameras at for a very reasonable outlay.

Last edited:
Hi Robert,

I use the Zeiss qca fitment which works on the same principle as this new adapter and definitely agree with you that this is probably the best type of adapter available. I too started with the tube-type fitting but wasn't impressed with the results. Since using the swing-away type the quality of my shots has improved dramatically. SRB also make a really good cable release bracket to fit most digital compacts, an attachment which really helps to get sharp, shake-free shots. It's worth taking a look at www.zbirding.info for info on setting up your digital camera. It gives a good idea of what you are trying to achieve when mounting the camera, bracket etc.

Jon :t:

I have a Sony Cybershot DSC-S600 which only has a tiny lense sticking out from the body. would this work and, if you don't mind me asking, how much was the adapter?

Adam get in touch with Terry at the phone number given or look at the website, I am sure he will be able to advise after hearing what equipment you have and what are your requirements.#

Buzzard, angled scopes pose no problem whatsoever.

Robert L Jarvis said:
Adam get in touch with Terry at the phone number given or look at the website, I am sure he will be able to advise after hearing what equipment you have and what are your requirements.#

Buzzard, angled scopes pose no problem whatsoever.

Thanks Rob. Looks a superbly well desisigned piece of kit...
Thanks for passing it on.

Robert,

I have no experience with digiscoping, so please forgive my ignorance. Is it safe to leave a camera & mount like this one attached to the scope while carrying it over your shoulder?

Thanks,
Pat

Hi all

I've just purchased a swing-out adapter from SRB-Griturn for £89.95 for my angled Televid 77 / Canon A95 setup, see photos attached. The only modification I've made is to attach a DC-52D adapter (approx £12) to the front of the camera to fix the distance from the lens to the scope eyepiece.

I've yet to try this setup in the great outdoors but when I have I'll post a few pics on here.

Attachments

• IMG_0231.JPG
    IMG_0231.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_0232.JPG
    IMG_0232.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 378
Last edited:
Take your time in setting the camera up and my advice is that when you have make small marks on the camera and adapter to act as a memory location for the future. I also did away with the allen screws and keys, replaced with little plastic threaded screws which were just the right size.

See photos below.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back