• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marsh or Willow Tit (1 Viewer)

John151

John
I am not sure whether this is a Marsh or a Willow Tit. Help please.

John

Attachments

• Marsh-or-Willow-Tit.jpg
    Marsh-or-Willow-Tit.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 344
I would go with Marsh as I can't see any pale patch on the wing and the 'bib' looks small (although that is obscured by the seeds its holding). Hopefully a tit expert will be along shortly to advise, as Marsh/Willow etremely difficult to call from a photo ;)

I'd also say Marsh for the reasons stated above, plus clean white cheeks and a shiny black crown (although both can be quite subjective from one photo).

Mike

kstar_76 said:
I would go with Marsh as I can't see any pale patch on the wing and the 'bib' looks small (although that is obscured by the seeds its holding). Hopefully a tit expert will be along shortly to advise, as Marsh/Willow etremely difficult to call from a photo ;)

Thank you Kstar,

Kind regards,

John

Mike Feely said:
I'd also say Marsh for the reasons stated above, plus clean white cheeks and a shiny black crown (although both can be quite subjective from one photo).

Mike

Thanks Mike,

Best wishes,

John

Can you post any more images, John? From previous threads it is clear these two are more difficult than many think, at least from photos. Whilst I agree with Marsh being more likely on this one shot, experience suggests that that can always change with a series of photos.

Thanks,
Graham

James said:
I'm not entirely convinced and would also like to see more pictures if there are any.

James

I've got these two mixed up this year, even though I felt quite confident at the time.
Having said that I would put my hand up for Marsh for the reasons above, although I do agree single photo's can be misleading. Also while I do not entirely agree with Collins that Willow do not visit feeders in winter, I do think the likely hood is less.

John

it's all there for marsh tit. head-neck shape, amount of white in necksides, no wingpanel, gloss on cap & last but not least: pale mandible margins (lacking in willow t.)

Willow/Marsh-tit are sometimes very very difficult, but in this photo I can't see anything pointing to Willow. It just doesn't look like a Willow tit in any way.

//Ben

I suspect Poecile will come along soon and put us all right, but before she does, I'll add my 2p's worth. I'd say Marsh.

I never go with the shiny cap or pale wing panal thing as these can vary according to lighting conditions or feather wear. The bib is a good clue, being smaller and neater on Marsh, but this varies with the age and sex of birds to the point where they can't be seperated on this IMO.

Willow Tits tend to have a larger rounded head which gives the bird the appearance of having a bull-neck. You can't see this well on your photo, but I do think this would be more obvious if it was a Willow. The cheeks are also whiter and extend further down the mantle on Willow, perhaps the most obvious feature lacking in your photo.

The sure fire way to tell them apart (except on call) in my opinion is the pale cutting edge to the mandible, which I've never yet seen a Willow Tit with(although Poecile may have to remind we whether Marsh's always have them). Unfortunately you can't really see the cutting-edges to the mandibles on your photo.

Last edited:
Ilya Maclean said:
I suspect Poecile will come along soon and put us all right, but before she does, I'll add my 2p's worth. I'd say Marsh.

I never go with the shiny cap or pale wing panal thing as these can vary according to lighting conditions or feather wear. The bib is a good clue, being smaller and neater on Marsh, but this varies with the age and sex of birds to the point where they can't be seperated on this IMO.

Willow Tits tend to have a larger rounded head which gives the bird the appearance of having a bull-neck. You can't see this well on your photo, but I do think this would be more obvious if it was a Willow. The cheeks are also whiter and extend further down the mantle on Willow, perhaps the most obvious feature lacking in your photo.

The sure fire way to tell them apart (except on call) in my opinion is the pale cutting edge to the mandible, which I've never yet seen a Willow Tit with(although Poecile may have to remind we whether Marsh's always have them). Unfortunately you can't really see the cutting-edges to the mandibles on your photo.

Thanks Ilya. It seems that it's not a very good picture for identification purposes. It came and went in an instant and didn't come back. I'll keep trying for a better one.

Best wishes,

John.

Thank yous

Please for give this general thank you because the replies are coming in thick and fast. What a wonderful site, so many helpful, knowledgeable people. Thank you all for your helpful comments.

Kind regards from,

John

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back