• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2014 - Can I see 1000 species? (1 Viewer)

Jon Turner

It's a modest total, but will require some travel!! I'm going to try much harder this year as 2013 was hardly an epic year (159 in the UK, nothing new).
Looking back at my spreadsheet I see that I first kept a list of birds seen in 1965! So this year will be my 50th year keeping a list - all these years (except 2 when I lived for most of the time in the Netherlands) are birds seen in the UK. 1965 was a modest start: 66 species recorded. SO I set myself a target of beating my best in the UK, which isn't enormous! And trying to get my world list near 2000, (or over).
We had to deliver our daughter to Heathrow on January 1st, so I was looking forward to the drive up from Devon (Red Kite over the A303) and on to Wraysbury before heading to Hampshire for a few days. Well the drive turned into a nightmare of heavy rain, puddles and wind. By close of play on Wednesday I had recorded a magnificent 22 species. Glad I looked in at Wraysbury, coz that's here I saw most of them, although all the Parakeets were off somewhere else.
So starting at home January 1st:
1) Herring Gull
2) Rook
3) Jackdaw
And on the way:
4) Magpie
5) Carrion Crow
6) Starling
7) Wood Pigeon
8) Black-headed Gull
9) Blue Tit
10) Pheasant
Wraysbury:
11) Cormorant
12) Blackbird
13) Gadwall
14) Wigeon
15) Tufted Duck
16) Coot
17) Great-crested Grebe
18) Mute Swan
19) Canada Goose
20) Robin
21) Common Gull
Petersfield Heath:
22) Moorhen
23) Mallard
A truly spectacular day's birding with NO birds of prey.:C

January 2nd:
In the garden:
24) Song Thrush
25) House Sparrow
26) Greenfinch
Farlington Marsh HWT - always visit here when I'm in Hampshire! a lovely day for a walk around. Now I have recovered from my hip replacement I'm able to walk much more easily.
27) Brent Goose
28) Teal
29) Pintail
30) Redshank
31) Shelduck
32) Curlew
33) Grey Heron
34) Oystercatcher
35) Grey Plover
36) Dunlin
37) Kestrel
38) Red-breasted Merganser
39) Shoveler
40) Little Grebe
41) Lapwing
42)Little Egret
43) Avocet
44) Marsh Harrier
45) Dunnock
46) Peregrine
47) Meadow Pipit
48) Sandwich Tern - nice to see my first summer migrant!
49) Turnstone
50) Great Black-backed Gull
51) Skylark
52) Reed Bunting
53) Stonechat
54) Snipe
55) Rock Pipit
56) Pied Wagtail
57) Buzzard
Petersfield again later on:
58) Redwing
59) Goldfinch
60) Egyptian Goose (3 on the Heath - never seen them before in 45 years!)
61) Collared Dove
And today January 3rd, a return to wet and windy.
62) Sparrowhawk
63) Great Tit
64) Nuthatch
So, nearly beaten my 1965 list already!
Back to Devon tomorrow.

Going somewhere tropical would definitely improve your chances of getting to the 1000 in the year!

Niels

Going somewhere tropical would definitely improve your chances of getting to the 1000 in the year!

Niels

Yup Niels, Spain at the end of this month for a few days, then a 7-week round the world whizz mid Feb.... After that we'll see. I'll probably even get back to the Isles of Scilly in October, after a near 10-year break!:eek!:

I'll be asking a few BF members for help on the way!

No worries Jon, I'll get you a stack of lifers for your challenge and for the craic. I'm no longer in the bird tour business, so all free of charge too!

My word that sounds too good to be true Chow! Very much looking forward to it. B :)
Just driven home across a very wet Southern England, to find (unusually) North Devon in sunshine! Might just head out to see if anything is in my reserve before sundown.....

4th January:
Started in Petersfield with another very wet walk around the Heath. Took a while, but eventually found:
65) Goldcrest
66) Bullfinch (a flock of several males, and later a female)
67) Great Spotted Woodpecker
68) Long-tailed Tit
69) Treecreeper
70) Coal Tit
71) Jay
Set off west towards Devon with the promise of better weather. This didn't materialise until well into Somerset, so a quick diversion to the little RSPB reserve at Swell Wood above the flooded Somerset Levels. It's good here - some fine soul fills the feeders in the car park so you can see the birds without getting out of the car!:
72) Marsh Tit
And over the N Devon Link road:
73) Raven
Still enough light to check the little reserve I warden in Braunton, apart from prodigious amounts of water, beating even last winter's floods:
74) Chaffinch (about time!)
75) Chiffchaff
76) Water Rail
So far I've got two heard only records (Cetti's Warbler and Tawny Owl) and I'm not sure whether to count the Grey-lag Geese at Farlington. I also went on a wild (and unsuccessful) Owl chase at dusk over Braunton Great Field/Marsh.

Day off yesterday - Grandson bonding! so:
Jan 6th:
Braunton Great Field
77) Golden Plover - small flock with Lapwings
78) Stock Dove - pair in a barn where I ringed 2 pulli last year.
79) Common Sandpiper - in Velator harbour.
Really too windy to expect much - very impressive sea running - waves breaking out to the horizon!

Three weeks in Ecuador or Kenya with the right people and an active year in the UK should get you a thousand birds, especially if you count 'heards' in that total.

Three weeks in Ecuador or Kenya with the right people and an active year in the UK should get you a thousand birds, especially if you count 'heards' in that total.

Hmmm thanks Ian, one of these days I'd like to head to Ecuador or Peru (my daughter is in the Galapagos as I write - can I count what she sees?!) one day, but not this year I think. As for Kenya, I used to live there! and I've been meaning to go back for 52 years. I'll do it one day, I hope. We'll see where I am later in the year. Brixham tomorrow.;)

Ok, Jan 7th, after checking the weather forecast wasn't too dire, picked up a couple of friends and left Tawstock about 8.30. Not long along the lane to Barnstaple, a Merlin flew out of the hedge and away across the fields. Good start! Uneventful and dry drive to Brixham where we got to grips with the multiple seabirds all over the place! Even walked all the way out to the end of the breakwater, which was pretty exposed but only to the wind, no rain or swell. Eventually decided to leave about 2.30 to avoid the later traffic build up. Sadly without definitively seeing the White-billed Diver.
So, Tawstock:
80) Merlin
Brixham harbour area:
81) Great Northern Diver
82) Red-necked Grebe
83) Shag
84) Razorbill
85) Iceland Gull
86) Slavonian Grebe
87) Black-throated Diver
88) Kittiwake
89) Guillemot
90) Black Guillemot
91) Gannet
92) Fulmar
93) Red-throated Diver
So on to Broadsands where we saw 3
94) Cirl Bunting and
95) Siberian Chiffchaff
and finished the day at Bowling Green Marsh with:
96) Greylag Goose
97) Pochard
98) Long-tailed Duck
There weren't any Godwits around! One Avocet swimming in the reserve.
So approaching 100 and still no Wren!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back