• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2016 Birdfair: Questions for Attendees to Ask Vendors (2 Viewers)

Well, at least our women were the most charming (as I'm being told ofcourse).

Jan

I plead guilty to saying this: Dutch ladies are the prettiest in Europe (now that the UK has left the EU) :-O.

To be slightly serious for a moment the hockey match was terrific and it was a shame that it had to be decided by a penalty shoot out.

Lee

Thanks Lee for the excellent follow-up on my questions! :t: There is a picture in one of the recent threads showing the mob of people in the optics tent. It probably was somewhat of a challenge to get some time with the right people that had the answers you just now provided. I really appreciate it that you took the time to get answers to these questions when you must of had a sizable agenda of your own.

Your updates from Nikon is more than what I have seen from them on this forum in the last couple of years. It sounds like the EDG is a more "refined" product over the new Monarch HG and I am glad to hear it will continue. The 7X fans should be glad to hear that 7X EDG model is still an active product. It makes sense that Nikon USA will ultimately carry the new HG line. I am a loss as to why they (Nikon USA) is being so tight lipped about it. The Monarch line is very popular over here so there is a good chance some of the big box stores will have it on display. It will be interesting to see if Nikon USA follows the European model with the objective rubber rings and makes them readily available as a replacement part. I have been down on Nikon as of late because of their continued warranty changes and lack of information but the 8X42 Monarch HG has caught my interest.

Even more of an interest would be a Zeiss SF 8X32. The fact that Zeiss did not say there is no plan for a 8X32 makes me think there is still a possibility. Did Zeiss have the 8X32 Victory FL on display at Birdfair? I am thinking it has been discontinued (other than old stock).

With Vanguard's new hire, maybe us here in the States will be seeing more of Vanguard at the various shows.

I am not aware of any posts about Swarovski happenings at Birdfair. Sounds like there was not much new at their venue.

I am looking forward to your comments in the other threads. Again, thanks to you and to David for reporting what you saw at Birdfair.

Here is a link to David's 2016 Birdfair posting ....

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=330058

Bruce H . I think you forgot the new Kowa Genesis 22 . I expect to be the best pocket bino ,..Especially the 8x22 model with 131 meter field, i am very anxious to see an comparison with Swarovski cl ..The chromatic aberrations must be even less visible in the small Genesis in comparition to the 44 mm model.

Binomaniac ..... As an FYI, a separate thread was started after your post discussing this new offering from Kowa.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=329937

Thanks Lee for the excellent follow-up on my questions! :t: There is a picture in one of the recent threads showing the mob of people in the optics tent. It probably was somewhat of a challenge to get some time with the right people that had the answers you just now provided. I really appreciate it that you took the time to get answers to these questions when you must of had a sizable agenda of your own.

Your updates from Nikon is more than what I have seen from them on this forum in the last couple of years. It sounds like the EDG is a more "refined" product over the new Monarch HG and I am glad to hear it will continue. The 7X fans should be glad to hear that 7X EDG model is still an active product. It makes sense that Nikon USA will ultimately carry the new HG line. I am a loss as to why they (Nikon USA) is being so tight lipped about it. The Monarch line is very popular over here so there is a good chance some of the big box stores will have it on display. It will be interesting to see if Nikon USA follows the European model with the objective rubber rings and makes them readily available as a replacement part. I have been down on Nikon as of late because of their continued warranty changes and lack of information but the 8X42 Monarch HG has caught my interest.

Even more of an interest would be a Zeiss SF 8X32. The fact that Zeiss did not say there is no plan for a 8X32 makes me think there is still a possibility. Did Zeiss have the 8X32 Victory FL on display at Birdfair? I am thinking it has been discontinued (other than old stock).

With Vanguard's new hire, maybe us here in the States will be seeing more of Vanguard at the various shows.

I am not aware of any posts about Swarovski happenings at Birdfair. Sounds like there was not much new at their venue.

I am looking forward to your comments in the other threads. Again, thanks to you and to David for reporting what you saw at Birdfair.

Here is a link to David's 2016 Birdfair posting ....

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=330058

You are most welcome Bruce (and Chuck).

I got a little excited when I noticed that FL 32s were not listed in either the Zeiss Bird Fair Product Portfolio or the Viking Optics (retailer at the fair) product list and wondered if this heralded the long awaited new Victory 32. But there were FLs on display on the Zeiss stand after all. I am wondering, considering the launch of the black SF 42s, if 32s have been held back pending decisions on the colour, the armour, and perhaps on other matters too. And we shouldn't forget that Zeiss have introduced other products like the Gavia scope and for all I know have been working on a host of other things. Whatever the reasons for the delay I hope that Zeiss puts their foot on the gas and gets SF 32 out before we are all too old to care.

The Monarch HGs were prominent on the bench with the best outside view whereas the EDGs took a bit of finding. However the Nikon booth doesn't have acres of space with a view so its not surprising their newest product was place most prominently. I was told that the HG comes with a set of the rings in the box. Certainly when you take off the objective covers off the bins look unfinished. I am sure in the States you will also get a pair with the bins when new and since they have the same possibility of loss as a pair of objective covers it would make sense if they treated them the same way. So if you can get objective covers over the counter from your Nikon dealer I am sure the rings will be available in the same way.

It was pretty busy at Bird Fair but my subjective impression was that it wasn't as crowded as last year and I suspect the gloomy weather forecasts might have contributed to this. Nevertheless all of the booths of the big 3 were constantly busy and sometimes really over-crowded.

Dennis and Chosen Juan may be surprised to learn that I tried out an EL SV 10x50 to find out what all the fuss was about and it truly is a 'view-monster'.

Lee

Shows you how particular (or maybe just dumb) I am, I sold mine. If I could combine the FOV of the SF, the ease of view, flat field and sharpness of the 10X50 SV, the brilliance and brightness of the HT, and the CA control of the FL, all in one binocular, that's the one I would spend $2000 on and keep. If I find a deal on a nice HT, I'll probably buy one since my dream binocular will probably never exist.

Dennis and Chosen Juan may be surprised to learn that I tried out an EL SV 10x50 to find out what all the fuss was about and it truly is a 'view-monster'.

Lee

Shows you how particular (or maybe just dumb) I am, I sold mine. If I could combine the FOV of the SF, the ease of view, flat field and sharpness of the 10X50 SV, the brilliance and brightness of the HT, and the CA control of the FL, all in one binocular, that's the one I would spend $2000 on and keep. If I find a deal on a nice HT, I'll probably buy one since my dream binocular will probably never exist.

SD

To your wish list I would add the compactness of a Leica Ultravid and the handling of a Zeiss SF.............. even if these are perhaps mutually incompatible. We demand the impossible! :-O

Lee

Thanks Lee for the all of the bird fair feedback...sure it must have been a hectic schedule of nothing but fun!

Great to hear Zeiss is listening and responding to their owners inputs \ suggestions! :t:

Ted

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back