• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x20 in possession. Which one to add? (2 Viewers)

The only one that makes any sense is the 10x25 - the others are too close to the 8x20. But it would fun to have them anyway! Might as well just admit it :) I'd probably go with the Curio just for something a little different. Not sure I would want 10x in a tiny pocket bino.
I am leaning towards this 10x25 now. I think the ultravid and trinovid 10x25 are a bit too finicky for my taste, having the same uncomfortable small eyecups as the 8x20's and they are still very lightweight for a 25mm. The CL 10x25 is 350 gram and has comfortable eyecups. So I think the CL 10x25 is the smallest pocket bin I think is still a good option. (The CL 10x25 has a tiny bit more afov as well compared with the 8x25).
The Curio is still really nice!

The Ultravid is about 10% heavier than the Trinovid and the Curio is about 10% heavier again than the Ultravid. With straps on all 3 and with caps for the Ultravid and Curio. Size
I didn't know the size/weight difference was noticable between the trinovid 8x20 and the ultravid 8x20. And if you compare the ultravid 8x20 with the curio 7x21? Which one is is bigger/heavier? Or are they comparable?
Do you use any rainguard/caps/strap on the trinovid? Or do you just put them in your pocket?

Thanks for you reply! Good to get some comments from somebody who actually has the binos and can compare them.
You want smaller than the trinovid 8x20? I can imagine, if you want to use them in theatre. For my the trinovid 8x20 is the smallest I want. I can image I want to add this curio, because it is more comfortable in use... I use them all for bird watching and than comfort does count a bit more I think.
The Ultravid is about 10% heavier than the Trinovid and the Curio is about 10% heavier again than the Ultravid. With straps on all 3 and with caps for the Ultravid and Curio. Size: TheTrinovid is the smallest; the Ultravid and Curio are about the same but, for some reason, the Curio seems a bit bigger - it is fractionally deeper which probably explains the difference (all measured without caps). The Trinovid lives in a small soft case; at other times I just carry them in my pocket wthout caps but wrapped in a soft lens cloth for some basic protection.

I have the 8x20 Trinovid and the CL 10x25 and in my opinion it’s a big difference between them. I use the Trinovid for daily use when working in the forest and the CL when I’m hunting or other situations when I want to see more details.
Someone mentioned the habicht 8x30, I also have a pair of that, it’s a wonderful binoculars, not so heavy but the size is way more bulky than the CL 8/10x25 so I don’t use it so often.
Do you also think that the CL 10x25 is more comfortable in use than the trinovid 8x20, despite the same exit pupil of just 2.5mm?

I mentioned the Habicht 8x30 :). I am thinking about getting one as well (instead of a second pocket bin), but there is some appeal in the Habicht 7x42 as well. I am very indecisive regarding pocket bins and Habichts.

I didn't know the size/weight difference was noticable between the trinovid 8x20 and the ultravid 8x20. And if you compare the ultravid 8x20 with the curio 7x21? Which one is is bigger/heavier? Or are they comparable?
Do you use any rainguard/caps/strap on the trinovid? Or do you just put them in your pocket?

Thanks for you reply! Good to get some comments from somebody who actually has the binos and can compare them.
You want smaller than the trinovid 8x20? I can imagine, if you want to use them in theatre. For my the trinovid 8x20 is the smallest I want. I can image I want to add this curio, because it is more comfortable in use... I use them all for bird watching and than comfort does count a bit more I think.

from here Trinovid 8x20 BCA vs Ultravid 8x20 BR
Thank you all!

I performed some "quantum measurements" :) ...and here are the results:

WEIGHT without accessories: Trinovid 225g vs Ultravid 242g
View attachment 1525521

LENGHT folded eyecups: Trinovid 91mm vs Ultravid 92mm
View attachment 1525523

WIDTH: Trinovid 62.5mm vs 65mm
View attachment 1525525

THICKNESS
without focus wheel and strap loop : Trinovid 36mm vs Ultravid 38.5mm
View attachment 1525529

The WINNER for "micro quantum measurements results" :)
is Trinovid!!! I hope that the measurement itself did not influence the quantum results too much :)
View attachment 1525530

But you also wrote:
Weight with straps (Ultravid caps) 232g vs 256g. The 24 grams less are not felt in reality, but they are the result of a smaller body of Trinovid. (draw)

That was also what I thought. Not really noticable, but yet it is, according to PW42.
I understand, for a pocket bin every gram counts. I will happily keep the Trinovid 8x20 because its the tiniest :).

The weight difference is noticeable although not a big deal (a bit more noticeable when comparing the Curio to the Trinovid). It is more the shape - the Trinvoid is just more compact. (And I still prefer the Curio to the other 2 :) )

Do you also think that the CL 10x25 is more comfortable in use than the trinovid 8x20, despite the same exit pupil of just 2.5mm?

I mentioned the Habicht 8x30 :). I am thinking about getting one as well (instead of a second pocket bin), but there is some appeal in the Habicht 7x42 as well. I am very indecisive regarding pocket bins and Habichts.
Yes the cl 10x30 is for sure more comfortable. Bigger, smother and more precise focus wheel, easier to fold up, easier to find the target/object even if it has more magnification( I don’t know why, maybe it’s just suits me better or I’m more used to it). Only thing that is worse with the CL is that the case is so small so it’s sometimes is difficult to take it out of the case, especially with gloves. But instead the CL case has a very smart cardboard solution to attach the case to your belt.
I can take some pictures of them both if you want to see the size difference.

The big thing with the Habischt is the 3 dimensional view. It’s wonderful when you are for example in the mountains or viewing other open landscapes.

8x25 CL owner here and I can certainly recommend them. Having owned a few other binoculars the 8x25 whilst not small will easily fit in a coat pocket so when I go out they win every time for that reason alone. For sure bigger binoculars have a more expansive view etc but the 8x25 don't disappoint, there is no false colour, sharp, light weight etc. I used to own the 8x32 EL Field Pro but I ended up taking the 8x25 more often because they fit in the jacket pocket. The other factor I found is that if I can't see it in the 8x25 then I can't see it in the 8x32 or 8/10x42 etc and so in the end I am better of with a small scope where I can get more magnification and hence really see more detail. I would opt for the 8x25 because there is a slightly larger exit pupil. For sure that massive FOV in bigger binoculars is stunning but they just don't fit in my jacket pocket ! :-(. Not sure I would pair the 8x25 with another pocket sized binocular, a small spotter is a perfect combo I feel.

Last edited:
Yes the cl 10x30 is for sure more comfortable.
Typo? You meant CL 10x25?

Thanks for your reply. Maybe I will add the 10x25 and one day the Habicht 8x30 or 7x42 as well.
The 3D view must be really nice. I only looked through the Habicht 8x30 for couple of minutes. Too short to really see the 3D view. What I DID notice was the really stiff focuser. I am worried about it, because it is too stiff for bird watching. Swarovski can loosen it up, bit I don't know how stiff it will still be.

Typo? You meant CL 10x25?

Thanks for your reply. Maybe I will add the 10x25 and one day the Habicht 8x30 or 7x42 as well.
The 3D view must be really nice. I only looked through the Habicht 8x30 for couple of minutes. Too short to really see the 3D view. What I DID notice was the really stiff focuser. I am worried about it, because it is too stiff for bird watching. Swarovski can loosen it up, bit I don't know how stiff it will still be.
Sorry, yes I’m speaking about the CL 10x25. I actually had a CL 8x30 before but I sold it after I bought the 10x25. The 8x30 was only 150 grams heavier but a lot more bulky, didn’t fit in any pocket. Now I also have a NL 10x42 that I use when I don’t want to pack light and slim. Off course it’s a big difference between the NL and CL 8/10x25 but mostly it’s about the bigger FOV.
Yeas the Habischt has a little bit stiffer and not so comfortable focus wheel(I think it’s common that they get stiffer by time and can be better after service) but on the other hand you don’t have to adjust as much as with the other binoculars.

One question: what do you think of the stiffnes of the hinges? Do you prefer one over the other? I like the stiffness of the Trinovid's. The hinges of the CL's are a bit more floppy? Or are they fine as well?
Pending input from others, yes (and IMO by design) in my experience the Trinovid hinges are stiffer than the CL. I would not argue with anyone who prefers one or the other but do prefer the stiffer hinges of Trinovid.

Mike

I think you should look beyond Swarovski and Leica. Zeiss in the 8x25, either the Terra or the Victory,
both great optics and value. Some have compared a few grams of weight difference in some
of these above, not important. It is more about the view, handling and enjoyment, and here where
Zeiss does very well.
Jerry

Pending input from others, yes (and IMO by design) in my experience the Trinovid hinges are stiffer than the CL. I would not argue with anyone who prefers one or the other but do prefer the stiffer hinges of Trinovid.

Mike
And CL 25 compared with the Curio? Which one has the stiffer hinges? I know you have all the pocket bins that exist of the big brands 🙂

I think you should look beyond Swarovski and Leica. Zeiss in the 8x25, either the Terra or the Victory,
both great optics and value. Some have compared a few grams of weight difference in some
of these above, not important. It is more about the view, handling and enjoyment, and here where
Zeiss does very well.
Jerry
That's why I actually prefer swarovski. The view of the Zeiss VP is probably better, because of the bigger FOV and higher transmission, bit I prefer the handling, the looks and the feeling of the Swarovski's. The eyecups fit my eyes better as wel.
I did not really like the Terra 8x25 and sold it.

And CL 25 compared with the Curio? Which one has the stiffer hinges? I know you have all the pocket bins that exist of the big brands 🙂
Yes, I've got a bad case of pocketitis. ;>) The Curio hinges are slightly stiffer and I do prefer them. But I've had the CLs for about 8 years which may account for the difference.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back