• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8X30 SLC (1 Viewer)

Hi Andy,

I agree, $1,200 US does seem exorbitant for a 12 year old SLC! (although it does appear to be in like-new condition)

Having said that, I’m frequently surprised by the prices asked for second-hand binoculars - though it only takes one person willing to pay *

I’m also frequently surprised by the images posted. Firstly, they’re often poor both in terms of quality and in showing significant details.
And sometimes a seller can’t even go to the effort to wipe dust or fluff off the body (let alone clean the lenses).
The opposite is when the RA has been heavily dosed with Armor All and appears to be wet!

And a variation: when I bought my UV HD 8x42, the seller had posted high quality images showing it pristine and clean.
However, when it arrived it was totally covered in red dust! It seemed to have been taken for one last outing - perhaps on a motor bike -
and then shoved into the carry case to be boxed and sent. Fortunately, after it was cleaned it was as advertised.

* Having looked in detail at Swarovski’s WWII 6x30 service binoculars, the prices asked for German WWII 6x30 binoculars in general are surprising.
Firstly, they’re not rare even after 70+ years. And secondly, they’re unsurprisingly often in obviously poor condition.
There appears to be two distinct markets, militaria collectors and military re-enactors.
While many of the former seem to favour authenticity over condition, for the latter the reverse is sometimes the case:
• Several times I’ve seen units in good condition, later re-advertised by someone else in a much more 'battle worn' state, and
• I’ve also seen units that were superficially in a much better condition when re-listed by a second seller, typically featuring fresh paint
. . . so go figure!

John

Last edited:
John,

So true regarding the above post. I have observed some elevated prices of the Leica BA/BN series as of late, although one asking for the sky does not mean it will be granted.

Andy W.

I have never liked this particular bin since the focus is on the opposite /front side of the binocular. ... But granted, the $1200 is expensive for any bin that old .....

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back