• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

92% transmission of the NL Pure 32 measured? (2 Viewers)

I have no knowledge about transmission or whatsoever. But I can put binoculars on a scale. It is true that the 640 gram stated for the NL 10x32 is not true, in my case. It is 670 gram, without covers, straps, etc.
No surprise there...

I've weighed dozens of Swarovski instruments over the years ....All have been over weight....

Cheers

Tim

Read my reply above ....

As I stated, The weight of several Swarovski products I've independently weighed have been inaccurate .... And not inaccurate in a positive way....

As I stated " if you can be bothered to read it" ....I stated that "I WOULD ALSO IMAGINE THE LIGHT TRANSMISSION IS ALSO INACCURATE...

Just one more time incase you couldn't get your head around it....
"I WOULD ALSO IMAGINE THE LIGHT TRANSMISSION IS ALSO INACCURATE"....

Cheers

Tim

But it's been clearly demonstrated that the light transmission are accurate...

I was a bit surprised to read that the NL 32 has 92% transmission, when they came out. The NL 42 has 91%.
The SF 42 has 92% and the SF 32 has 90%.
At least, that is what the specs say. I always wondered why the NL 32 should have more transmission than the NL 42. With Zeiss it is the other way around (and that makes more sense to me): the SF 42 has more transmission than the SF 32.

Is there an explanation for that?
The light transmission has nothing to do with the size of the binoculars' objectives. The light transmission is given by the quality and number of the lenses, and by the quality of the anti-reflective coating.
For example there can be 8x25 binoculars with 92% transmission, and much larger 8x56 binoculars with only 82% transmission. So I'm not surprised by this small difference of 1 percent between NL32 and NL42

Two different populations can have different means, but not be different to a statistically significant degree.
For sure, but as you may know, it is far from being that simple. The following is a bit (perhaps far)out of bounds for this thread, but see scholarly comments in https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3444174
E.g., "The primary product of a research inquiry is one or more measures of effect size, not P values."

Okay, but I don’t think the two things are comparable.

Having thought about it, I believe it is an unnecessary complication.

Last edited:
I've weighed several products from Swarosvki and found them inaccurate from the stated amount.
Your experience with their weight figures differs from mine - no idea why.

Weight without accessories is fairly straightforward, so this should be easily settled without unpleasantness. Swarovski states 640g for NL 10x32, Reinier measures 670 which is nearly a 5% difference. Have you weighed one, or can anyone else? On what other models has ticl2184 found a discrepancy?

Even if we have to speculate on how Swaro arrived at 640g, surely they didn't just make it up or lie, thus casting doubt on other specs too. One prominent and welcome feature is that they actually measure AFOV instead of using an inaccurate formula as other manufacturers do; that should earn some trust and respect. And as stated above, Gijs has essentially confirmed their transmission figure.

Edit: On my little Söhnle kitchen scale SLC HD 10x42 weighs ~790-800g depending on how I support the strap I'm not bothering to remove (which weighs ~50g), and SLC 15x56 is 1200-1210g. Stated weights are 790 and 1200g, spot on.

Last edited:
Here are 2 pictures. 1 with the strap attached and 1 without anything one it (totally bare). So still 20 grams more than stated.
I heard others that the NL pure weighs more than the specs suggest, the 32 as well as the 42.
20 or 30 grams doesn't bother me, but still.

It is true. I just measured my own.

The SLC 8x42 weighs around 800 grams, so that is accurate. I do not have it now, it’s in Absam to fix the focuser (a little grain of sand/dust in it and I asked to make it more smooth if possible)

Attachments

• 20230301_092037.jpg
    20230301_092037.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • 20230301_085825.jpg
    20230301_085825.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Here are 2 pictures. 1 with the strap attached and 1 without anything one it (totally bare). So still 20 grams more than stated.
I heard others that the NL pure weighs more than the specs suggest, the 32 as well as the 42.
20 or 30 grams doesn't bother me, but still.

It is true. I just measured my own.

Th SLC 8x42 weighs around 800 grams, so that is accurate. I do not have it now, it’s in Absam to fix the focuser (a little grain of sand/dust in it and I asked to make it more smooth if possible)

Interesting - I'm assuming the objective covers are also removed? I checked three different pairs (no NLs admittedly) and they all matched to within a few grams.

Tim, post 21,
I assume that you immediately contacted Swarovski after having weighed a lot of their binoculars and that according to you all their weight data were wrong: you found that they were all heavier than Swarovski indicated in their data. (for your information our data matched the Swarovski data). If so, what was the response of the company that all weight data given by them are wrong according to you?. If you did not contact them: why not, because it is a severe accusation on internet about the trustworthiness of a company.
Gijs van Ginkel

Gijs,
I see you measured 672 g as well.
I measured the EL 10x42, the CL 10x30, SLC 8x42 and it was al pretty accurate. But I see a difference at the NL 32. According to Scope of View their is a difference as well with the 42's. It just makes me wonder why.
1677666814029.png1677667051975.png1677667115867.png

Attachments

• 1677667095049.png
    1677667095049.png
    20 KB · Views: 3
Reinier, post 35,
I know, it was with objective covers attached that may explain the difference with a bare NL 8x32/42 I assume. We also measured the NL 42 with objective covers attached. The cover weight is approx. 24 grams.
Gijs van Ginkel

Yes, I measured 676 g incl lens covers. However, the lens covers are only 15/16 grams. Still, a bare NL 32 is 659/660 gram. Or maybe I have to remove the eyecups as well. 😀

I know, I am splitting hairs here. But still think it is curious that Swarovski claims 640 gram.
Hardly noticeable of course and I am still very happy with the NL 10x32! Very bright, sharp, nice FOV, nice ergonomics, smooth focuser. The glare that sometimes occurs does not really bother me. Mostly it is just at the edges of the huge FOV.

Attachments

• 20230301_144206.jpg
    20230301_144206.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 20230301_144118.jpg
    20230301_144118.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11
This is also curious. Sorry, it's in Dutch. I hope you do not mind sharing this, Gijs? I discovered you have measured a lot and I value what you did!

Swarovski states 88% transmission for the CL 8x25. Zeiss states 91% for the VP 8x25.
However, the measured transmission is higher for the CL 8x25! Not just 1 or 2% more than stated, but even 6 or 7% more. I know there is probably tested just one pair and there is sample variation. But I think this is a "huge" difference! I did not know the CL 8x25 as that bright, because Swarovki says it is "just" 88%. For me the brightness of the Victory Pocket (as well as the bigger FOV) was a reason for me to lean towards the Victory Pocket, but not anymore after seeing this.
1678201896921.png

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back