• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A problem with my lens coatings ? (1 Viewer)

GarethW

I have started to notice several dots of light appearing on the lens coatings of my EL 8x42. Am I right in thinking the lens coatings are starting to deteriorate? Has anyone experienced anything similar? The performance of my bins is not affected as yet but I am always aware of the problem when I clean the lenses. Gareth

Please inspect the lens carefully to find whether the dots of light appear on other lens inside the housing. I find similar problem in a 8x20 binocular and return it to SWAROVSKI repair centre. It claims that the the issue is caused by mold developed inside the housing. The repair centre never requests to get any proof of purchase and warranty card. The binocular is returned to Austria factory for repair free of charge. I receive it after six weeks and it appears brand new.

GarethW said:
I have started to notice several dots of light appearing on the lens coatings of my EL 8x42. Am I right in thinking the lens coatings are starting to deteriorate? Has anyone experienced anything similar? The performance of my bins is not affected as yet but I am always aware of the problem when I clean the lenses. Gareth
Have you tried using running water and a soft brush with non-detergent soap to clean (such as Ecover)? That and a drop of isopropanol applied by cotton bud (from a chemist's) usually does remove these dots/circles. I think they are stubborn grease. If that doesn't do the job, then Swaro will surely fix them under warranty - they are top class in this.

light dots again

topconlcd said:
Please inspect the lens carefully to find whether the dots of light appear on other lens inside the housing. I find similar problem in a 8x20 binocular and return it to SWAROVSKI repair centre. It claims that the the issue is caused by mold developed inside the housing. The repair centre never requests to get any proof of purchase and warranty card. The binocular is returned to Austria factory for repair free of charge. I receive it after six weeks and it appears brand new.

I find light dots on the lens inside the housing of the 8x20 binocular again. I shall send it to SWAROVSKI repair centre for service.

topconlcd said:
I find light dots on the lens inside the housing of the 8x20 binocular again. I shall send it to SWAROVSKI repair centre for service.
Topconlcd Thanks for your reply. The dots on my lenses are on the outer surfaces. I will try cleaning them as advised by Scampo who I also wish to thank. Gareth

GarethW said:
Topconlcd Thanks for your reply. The dots on my lenses are on the outer surfaces. I will try cleaning them as advised by Scampo who I also wish to thank. Gareth
Hi again

Be good to know if it works. My son has a pair of Optolyth Alpin binoculars and one of the objectives developed a 2mm circle or spot - but this will not come off and must be a failing of the coating. As these are quite old and the view is completely unaffected, we have not bothered to have it repaired.

If you are using water and no isopropanol, I suspect it would be better to use deionised or distilled for the final rinse.

Hi Gareth,

Did you ever resolve this?

Perry

Hello Perry,

I sent my bins to Swarovski and they replaced the coatings. Excellent service from this company.

Gareth

The dots are fairly common in all brands, and usually they are just some phenomenon from getting dirty. A good cleaning should remove them.

The dots are not on the surface of the lens and they are inside the housing. Local SWAROVSKI cannot clean them from outside. They suspect that the dots are mold developed inside the housing. I have returned them for cleaning twice since 2006 but the dots appear again in a few months. I shall request them to replace the lens or the binocular.

Hello Perry,
The repair took just over a fortnight from what I can remember. I do not know if Swaro replaced the lenses or re-applied the coatings. Contact Swaro and get it sorted because the problem is clearly niggling you and it wont get any better, more dots could even appear.
Gareth

Last edited:

Question, under what conditions do you see these dots of light?

Strange, just yesterday I saw a dot of light while looking at the moon which I don't think was there before. But I couldn't replicate this condition elsewhere no matter what I did. It doesn't seem to appear in normal daylight observation.

I inspected the inside area with a powerful torch and didn't see anything unusual at all. Maybe it was just glare from the moon.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back