• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

birduser

United States
The Batten Kill River can be deep or shallow in the summer enough for a person to walk around in. The area I walked in was really shallow and then I heard a Belted Kingfisher call and got a few pictures of it on a dead tree branch across the river. That was the first ever time I've seen a Belted Kingfisher in person and looking back at the photos I believe its a male.
I tend to see more of a species variety compared to the backyard. When getting back in the forest and looked at an uprooted dead tree I saw a American Goldfinch sitting on a branch for a little bit, then, another bird I've seen on the same tree the Goldfinch was on, was an Eastern Wood Pewee. Yet again another bird species I could not recognize in the moment. When walking on the Abandoned Railroad adjacent to the Batten Kill I went down opposite directions of the railroad, on the shorter length of the Railroad my boyfriend and I saw a sleeping Barred Owl in a forest next to it, the first Owl I've seen in person. After a while he went back inside and I went to where it was sleeping, the Owl was not there anymore.
Going the other way down the railroad tracks I saw a Northern Cardinal in a short tree, after continuing down, there is a dead tree that two Red-winged Blackbirds were hanging out on, plus a Mourning Dove. Mourning Doves, Rock Pigeons and Red-winged Blackbirds are very common here since there is a large food source comprising of seeds and corn since those food sources are from a farm. I was very lucky to see such a variety of birds and get some good bird photos at the same time.

Attachments

• 101_8418.JPG
    101_8418.JPG
    769 KB · Views: 5
  • 101_9148.JPG
    101_9148.JPG
    956.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 101_9847.JPG
    101_9847.JPG
    790.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 101_9920 (2).JPG
    101_9920 (2).JPG
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • 101_9992.JPG
    101_9992.JPG
    891.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 102_0095.JPG
    102_0095.JPG
    958.4 KB · Views: 5
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back