• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice on 500mm (1 Viewer)

Hesitating AF is not typically a lens issue - the lens only moves as it's told - the body needs to decide where and when and if it's focused. The autofocus capability depends on the f/number of the lens for the same body, so with an f/4 lens it will autofocus worse than with some f/2.8 one for example.

A really good test of autofocus is to just check it manually - put your camera on a tripod, point to some fixed object (not moving in the wind for example), autofocus on it and then focus the same object manually on liveview on maximal zoom in preview (I assume your camera has such function), compare results. That really shows you whether the AF is good, I found out for one lens that it isn't and even a relatively expensive "backfocus adjustment" did not solve it.

Thank you for your reply. I realised after I posted I was asking a silly question so deleted the post, but clearly you had responded very quickly. I appreciate it and thank you for your comments on AF. I'm not experienced in lenses of this type so it's a new experience for me and I am getting used to both the camera and lens at the same time and need more time to do that.

I will update on my progress :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back