• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aerial Activity in Pontarddulais (1 Viewer)

ralph

Old Hand
Gloomy early afternoon walk (threat of rain) towards disused colliery in Pontarddulais:

Raven (6+)
Buzzard (3)
Green Woodpecker (2)
Red Kite (3)

Quite surprised at the distinct lack of Dipper or Grey Wagtail this afternoon. Most of the usual suspects were around, ie: Blue Tit, Blackbird, Song Thrush and Mistle Thrush, Starling etc.

Good sightings with the Green Woodpeckers Ralph - not to mention the Red Kite.

We seem to have plenty of Great Spooted Woodies up our way, but you have to search hard to find Greenies. I know only of one place locally where you see them with any regularity. Are they any commoner down your way ?

Green Woodpeckers are very common in Essex. Whenever we go out for a walk we inevitably see or hear them. Now to see a red kite here would be something.

I`m very sad to say that I`ve never seen a green woodpecker. I sometimes get a GSW come to the peanuts, and also a LSW less frequently. Greenies presumably don`t like peanuts?

I'm very hard-pushed to find a Great-Spot or Lesser-Spot down here. Green Woodpeckers tend to be the norm. Not that it bothers me, of course - I think the Greenies have a lot more character than their black & white counterparts. And of course, there's that 'laugh'.

;)

South Cambs, lots og greenies, especially around golf courses.

Greater spotted rarely seen but occaisionally heard in some of woodland towards the Beds border.

Mike

Green Woodpeckers are on the increase where i live, we had two juvinilles at the school no one knew what they were and asked me to tell them , I had 5 out side my house two years ago making such a racket , my neighbour thought it was a load of kids until i pointed them out .I love their manic feeding very shy and they look like little sewing machines with there heads going up and down eating the ants.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back