• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alresford, Hampshire, England Help with bird ID please (1 Viewer)

Dave Derrick

Supporter
England
Photos taken this week in rural area just outside Alresford. Want to say Corn Bunting, but not convinced. Twite a possibility ? The area has had Corn Bunting for years, but there were at least 15 in a single flock. Help please. Many thanks, Dave.

Attachments

• IMG_2487 (2).JPG
    IMG_2487 (2).JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2488 (2).JPG
    IMG_2488 (2).JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2463 (2).JPG
    IMG_2463 (2).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 80
Photos taken this week in rural area just outside Alresford. Want to say Corn Bunting, but not convinced. Twite a possibility ? The area has had Corn Bunting for years, but there were at least 15 in a single flock. Help please. Many thanks, Dave.

'Not twite. 'Certainly a bunting. I only ever see reed buntings and will be interested to hear what this bird is. I'm looking at this bird thinking it's probably not a female reed bunting and is a corn bunting.

Edited to add: I think this bird is missing the eye mark of a female reed bunting.

Hello Dave,
I agree with you, Paul and Pat all are Corn Buntings., the single bird (picture 1+2) and the flock in the last picture.
A Twite hiding among a flock of other birds looks like this (with a Tree Sparrow. Fiener Bruch near Paplitz, NE-Germany, 10.11. 2019)

Please compare the uniform caramell-hued and unmarked throat (like every pattern there is erased by a extensive rubbering), the stubby bill and the narrow, notched tail (not so extremer in Corn Bunting).
But you have surely noticed this in the field, which gave you the gut-feeling, that these are Corn Buntings. You might havent noticed consciously, but thats jizz identification.
I have written this before: Corn Bunting is one of those birds that you should stick with your initial, emotional jizz identification. If you see a bunting and think its a Corn Bunting, than its not a good idea to look at this bird longer and beginning to rethinking your identification.

Very many thanks for all confirming what I should have been more confident about from the start.

And, yes, Alexander, I know I should but I do find it hard to really trust sufficiently in my initial, emotional jizz identification; not for the first time, thanks for reminding me. Cheers, Dave.

Very many thanks for all confirming what I should have been more confident about from the start.

And, yes, Alexander, I know I should but I do find it hard to really trust sufficiently in my initial, emotional jizz identification; not for the first time, thanks for reminding me. Cheers, Dave.
There have been reasonable numbers of Corn Bunting this winter to the south of Arlesford reported from both Gander Down & Cheesefoot head. Please report locally if elsewhere

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back